Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player tracking technology could fundamentally change how we watch the game
It could ge interesting, to see some new things...much like statcast in baseball. Create some new advanced stats that can create a more complete picture of what a player does. Perhaps finally be rid of plus/minus as an indicator of anything.

With tracking on the puck too, perhaps we can have a better indicator than just what a ref sees, whether or not a puck is across the goal line. Instead of waiting for some conclusive video replay, telling us the puck in the glove, or under a pad, is actually in the net, the tracker can relay that info.

What I dont want, is a return to the fox graphics, with the glowing puck during gameplay. Enhance some replays, sure, but leave the live action as is.
Thanks given by: Highstyx , shadylane , shadylane
Knowing the NHL, we'll have to pay for a subscription in order to see any of the stats

And on top of it, it'll be far from cheap
cfl
Thanks given by:
Itll last a few weeks maybe a year. Just like mandatory untucked jerseys. Hurry up faceoffs. And at least 1 or 2 weird stupid rules/ideas they have every year.

Hopefully it doesnt ruin my viewing experience.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Thanks given by: Highstyx
(2019-01-11, 12:56 PM)bicboi Wrote: I'm conflicted, I love stats but can't seem to get into the advanced ones in the MLB. The advanced one's in hockey are good enough for me but I'm open to new ones too

I am actually a bit of a Math freak, but I'd rather keep it simple, and just enjoy the game

Because one goalie has a lower g.a. and a 92% save doesn't mean he is a better goalie than the guy who is 91% with a higher g.a.

It could mean the the defence lets guys hang in the slot aarea, and hang in front of the net. The high % shooters are often guys who get to the net, and therefore their shots travel 8 feet instead of 40. and etc
Phill 2:10-11 
Thanks given by: shadylane
(2019-01-26, 08:15 PM)cflisthebest Wrote: Knowing the NHL, we'll have to pay for a subscription in order to see any of the stats

And on top of it, it'll be far from cheap

They would starve
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-25, 03:58 PM)Pouzar Wrote: Bettman announces puck and player tracking to be implemented in all games starting next season  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it cuts down on reviews, I am all for it
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-26, 10:38 PM)Highstyx Wrote:
(2019-01-11, 12:56 PM)bicboi Wrote: I'm conflicted, I love stats but can't seem to get into the advanced ones in the MLB. The advanced one's in hockey are good enough for me but I'm open to new ones too

I am actually a bit of a Math freak, but I'd rather keep it simple, and just enjoy the game

Because one goalie has a lower g.a. and a 92% save doesn't mean he is a better goalie than the guy who is 91% with a higher g.a.

It could mean the the defence lets guys hang in the slot aarea, and hang in front of the net. The high % shooters are often guys who get to the net, and therefore their shots travel 8 feet instead of 40. and etc

Welcome to advanced stats Styxy. That's one of the metrics that they measure when it comes to the quality of shots a goalie faces.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-26, 08:33 PM)Sasquatch Wrote: Itll last a few weeks maybe a year. Just like mandatory untucked jerseys. Hurry up faceoffs. And at least 1 or 2 weird stupid rules/ideas they have every year.

Hopefully it doesnt ruin my viewing experience.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Maybe I am different, but I put attitude and determination ahead of stats.. Meaning, you cannot measure a player's will to win, and this imo is a biggie, as is work ethic and 'killer instinct'  Without those qualities your team won't ever take the Cup

That said, I do believe advanced stats have a place in hockey.. for maybe evaluating a player you wnat to worki with to improve his game, and etc.. if I was a goalie, I would hate it
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-26, 10:45 PM)topgun Wrote:

Welcome to advanced stats Styxy. That's one of the metrics that they measure when it comes to the quality of shots a goalie faces.

Thanks, but that is just hockey sense (I have a small measure of that.. never played, so yeah)
Thanks given by:
and I cannot find that typo where I mentioned Hayley Wick and a shiFt in the same sentence. LIMESTONER was it edited?

I type like a Chimpanzee.. touch typing doesn't work for me except on and old fashioned mechanical typewriter with a heavier keyboard

[Image: serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mrmartin...1f45c82f61]

I grew up on THAT thing.. 35 wpm
Thanks given by:

You realize the explanatory data you are suggestion is what advanced stats are now measuring, right?
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-26, 10:50 PM)Pouzar Wrote:

You realize the explanatory data you are suggestion is what advanced stats are now measuring, right?

Yep. But as you know, I have an oversized R.C factor
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-26, 07:41 PM)lewis94 Wrote:
(2019-01-12, 02:05 PM)Fritz Wrote:
(2019-01-12, 05:55 AM)Nuclearsun Wrote: I can’t stand advance stat convos in baseball. It takes the fun out of the game. You can’t discuss players or the games without some nerd telling you that you don’t know anything because the stats he got off his nerd website trumps all. Hopefully this does not kill hockey conversation.

Sometimes it kills the hockey conversation.  Especially when people will cherry pick some small sample sizes of a players work to determine that they should be playing on the top line when in reality, you can plainly see the player sucks with your own two eyes.  It used to happen with Ryan Strome in Edmonton.  "But his corsi was fantastic in the 3 minutes he played with McDavid this year!"  Well, yeah, he was playing with the best player in the world and a puck went in off his knee.

Yeah, advanced stats have a place in hockey but I can't stand the arrogant bloggers who act like they tell the whole picture. They just summarily write off a player based on some obscure stats and if you argue, they laugh at you like some dinosaur.
This 1000x

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-27, 09:59 AM)Moe Szyslak Wrote:
(2019-01-26, 07:41 PM)lewis94 Wrote:
(2019-01-12, 02:05 PM)Fritz Wrote:
(2019-01-12, 05:55 AM)Nuclearsun Wrote: I can’t stand advance stat convos in baseball. It takes the fun out of the game. You can’t discuss players or the games without some nerd telling you that you don’t know anything because the stats he got off his nerd website trumps all. Hopefully this does not kill hockey conversation.

Sometimes it kills the hockey conversation.  Especially when people will cherry pick some small sample sizes of a players work to determine that they should be playing on the top line when in reality, you can plainly see the player sucks with your own two eyes.  It used to happen with Ryan Strome in Edmonton.  "But his corsi was fantastic in the 3 minutes he played with McDavid this year!"  Well, yeah, he was playing with the best player in the world and a puck went in off his knee.

Yeah, advanced stats have a place in hockey but I can't stand the arrogant bloggers who act like they tell the whole picture. They just summarily write off a player based on some obscure stats and if you argue, they laugh at you like some dinosaur.
This 1000x

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Times 1001x
Thanks given by:
I remember how they were saying that corsi had Phanuef as a Norris caliber D when he was in T.O.
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-26, 08:07 PM)Chris D Wrote: It could ge interesting, to see some new things...much like statcast in baseball. Create some new advanced stats that can create a more complete picture of what a player does. Perhaps finally be rid of plus/minus as an indicator of anything.

The funny thing (sad thing?) about +/- is that the late Roger Neilson was publicly criticizing the stat in the early 80s. He knew we were working with a flawed measure a lifetime ago and we still haven't caught up. Smart cookie, that guy.

I'm also with Lewis: Make this stuff easily digestible for fans. And don't fill up broadcasts with percentages or probabilities. Those that want the new data will seek it out and find it. But the purity of just watching a game should remain.
Thanks given by: