Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playoff Thread
(2018-10-28, 10:02 PM)topgun Wrote: This is a sports fan's dream

Wow, that would be awesome if I was an LA fan haha
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-28, 10:24 PM)dmc23 Wrote: I loved Cora bringing in Sale to end it!

This season has been beyond AMAZING!

Yup, same, liked how Sale got to end it
Thanks given by:
This makes me want to puke.

[Image: DqpSArAX4AEfrSW.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-28, 10:27 PM)CrazyCanuckMan Wrote:
(2018-10-28, 10:24 PM)dmc23 Wrote: I loved Cora bringing in Sale to end it!

This season has been beyond AMAZING!

Yup, same, liked how Sale got to end it

Striking out Machado to finish it was the cherry on top. Couldn’t have drawn it up better.
Thanks given by: thebest41587
A bit gutted for the dodgers. I was goin for them. Always been a fan.

But as I watched the Sox dispose of the Astros with relative ease I could see the writing on the wall.

Steve Pearce MVP. Lol. That’s pat borders esque.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-28, 10:26 PM)CrazyCanuckMan Wrote:

What, they didn't stop at ComicCon too
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-28, 10:59 PM)MDMN1017 Wrote:

I've been partying since last nights win. This is simply the greatest!!!
Bautista deserved worse.
Thanks given by:
Feel bad for Kershaw, really hope he is able to win a WS before he retires. Back to back WS appearance only to lose both times
Thanks given by:
Sounds like the Dodgers are working out a long-term extension for Dave Roberts. Overall he had a strong season for the team I thought. Some decisions in the World Series didn't work out but the loss is on the players, not him IMO.

Now to see what Kershaw does in the next 3 days. My guess is that he'll opt out but negotiate another contract to stay in LA. The team's future is still bright.
Thanks given by:
I don't think anyone was beating Boston this year. They were just too good, and that without a couple of the bigger guns getting it done with the bat.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-29, 03:47 AM)fogtown Wrote:
(2018-10-28, 10:59 PM)MDMN1017 Wrote:

I've been partying since last nights win. This is simply the greatest!!!

HAHAHA! I can't remember making this post  Wink

Don't drink and post kids hahaha

Also it's timestamped 5:47 so that's 7:13am in Newfoundland where I am. Go Sox!!!!
Bautista deserved worse.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-28, 10:29 PM)topgun Wrote: This makes me want to puke.

When I was 16 I had seen the Oil win 5 and the esks win a boat load.

Not the same cause Boston has major sports teams but I will say, when it comes crashing down and it will eventually it's not fun to stomach lol

For now, as a Sox and Oilefs fan I've had a fantastic October lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks given by:
(2018-10-31, 08:46 PM)Oil4Evr Wrote:

Not the same cause Boston has major sports teams but I will say, when it comes crashing down and it will eventually it's not fun to stomach lol

There’s no reason to think it’ll be crashing down any time soon. John Henry is not Peter Pocklington.
Thanks given by:
Plus no salary cap so the BoSox can continue to buy the best team $ can buy
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-31, 10:43 PM)dmc23 Wrote:
(2018-10-31, 08:46 PM)Oil4Evr Wrote:

There’s no reason to think it’ll be crashing down any time soon. John Henry is not Peter Pocklington.

Fair enough. Happy

Thanks given by:
(2018-10-31, 11:10 PM)CTS Wrote: Plus no salary cap so the BoSox can continue to buy the best team $ can buy

You do know that the majority of the impact players on Boston's team were developed by the team, right? Sure. They signed some big money free agents to round out their roster but it's not a line up they raided entirely from other teams.

Also - Boston has a rabid fan base with the smallest park in the league and don't have the populations of NY, LA and other big spending markets. They have committed ownership and a fan base that allows them to spend with those markets but they are not like those markets.

Thanks given by:
(2018-10-29, 02:14 PM)shadylane Wrote: Sounds like the Dodgers are working out a long-term extension for Dave Roberts. Overall he had a strong season for the team I thought. Some decisions in the World Series didn't work out but the loss is on the players, not him IMO.

Now to see what Kershaw does in the next 3 days. My guess is that he'll opt out but negotiate another contract to stay in LA. The team's future is still bright.
He's been outmanaged in 2 straight WS. But then again, he's made 2 straight WS. Tough call.
Thanks given by: Candy_Line_up
(2018-11-01, 11:22 PM)Oil4Evr Wrote:
(2018-10-31, 11:10 PM)CTS Wrote: Plus no salary cap so the BoSox can continue to buy the best team $ can buy

You do know that the majority of the impact players on Boston's team were developed by the team, right? Sure. They signed some big money free agents to round out their roster but it's not a line up they raided entirely from other teams.

A substantial portion of the teams salary in ‘18 was wrapped up in 3 players who contributed virtually nothing to the team. Sandoval who they traded last year, Ramirez who they released early in the season after a fast start that was nullified very quickly and Pedroia who basically missed the entire season accounted for around $60M.

The only big money free agents on this years team was Price from 3 years ago and Martinez from last offseason.

They’re a team that was able to survive those albatross contracts and Pedroia’s lost season, but the players who made up the team that actually won the World Series, while by no means cheap, wasn’t outrageously expensive compared to other teams. It was a well put together team by a smart front office.
Thanks given by: shadylane
And there's also Rusney Castillo's $11.7M salary the Sox are paying, bringing that total to over $70 million.

Not to the same extent, but $25M of the Dodgers' payroll included retained and/or dead salary on players like McCarthy, Hector Olivera and Yasiel Sierra, and that was the plan in the Spring with Kemp's $21.7M too. It surprised everyone that he actually contributed.

And like the Red Sox, a lot of their key players are homegrown: Bellinger, Taylor, Buehler, Baez, Joc and Kike, with a couple cheap free agents signed out of Asia (Ryu and Maeda) and one out of Cuba (Puig). Aside from Kershaw's big extension, the only big free agent contract on the books is Jansen's. The Dodgers payroll is actually at a 6 year low.
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-01, 11:56 PM)dmc23 Wrote:
(2018-11-01, 11:22 PM)Oil4Evr Wrote:

A substantial portion of the teams salary in ‘18 was wrapped up in 3 players who contributed virtually nothing to the team. Sandoval who they traded last year, Ramirez who they released early in the season after a fast start that was nullified very quickly and Pedroia who basically missed the entire season accounted for around $60M.

The only big money free agents on this years team was Price from 3 years ago and Martinez from last offseason.

They’re a team that was able to survive those albatross contracts and Pedroia’s lost season, but the players who made up the team that actually won the World Series, while by no means cheap, wasn’t outrageously expensive compared to other teams. It was a well put together team by a smart front office.

Yup!

This narrative that the RedSox bought and paid for their team and assembled it entirely due to being able to outspend everyone and raiding other teams is just plain false.

The team deserves far more credit then the casual fan gives for solid management and asset development.

The fan base also deserves some credit as well. No where near the park size or populations then the big market teams yet they are unwavering in support and revenues are healthy as a result.

Thanks given by: