Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Premier League thread
(2019-05-13, 11:36 AM)Busby Wrote:
(2019-05-12, 10:46 PM)HaroldSnepsts Wrote: Hard to beat oil money.

United did it, in Paris and we're shite.

I think this money argument can go right out the window at this point.  And honestly it doesn't do Liverpool any favours because you lot spent the most this year!

Chelsea technically spent more when you add in the Pulisic deal, but he's not played for them so it doesn't count.

This act that Liverpool are some pious home made apple pie side that's the real salt of the Earth done right blue collar working class club that's nice and all great is utter ***** horseshit.  You're just like everyone else.  In fact, you're exactly like Man City.  You've bought every single ***** player that turns out for you...bar Trent (who is a total gem btw). 

You guys buy players like crazy.  If you're gonna play the oil money card, at least make it about club history etc.

Glad this season is done tbh.  I don't think next season is going to be all that much better as far as United are concerned.  Arsenal too...there's a lot of sides that need managing.

We'll be alright.  We finished a point out of the top 4 while allowing 50 goals against. Fifty!  We'll acquire a few defenders, reduce our GA by 20, and be very competitive.
"To love life is to plant trees, under which shade you may never sit"
Thanks given by:

I think this money argument can go right out the window at this point.  And honestly it doesn't do Liverpool any favours because you lot spent the most this year!

Chelsea technically spent more when you add in the Pulisic deal, but he's not played for them so it doesn't count.

This act that Liverpool are some pious home made apple pie side that's the real salt of the Earth done right blue collar working class club that's nice and all great is utter ***** horseshit.  You're just like everyone else.  In fact, you're exactly like Man City.  You've bought every single ***** player that turns out for you...bar Trent (who is a total gem btw). 

You guys buy players like crazy.  If you're gonna play the oil money card, at least make it about club history etc.

Glad this season is done tbh.  I don't think next season is going to be all that much better as far as United are concerned.  Arsenal too...there's a lot of sides that need managing.

I agree with you that Liverpool are in the same league when it comes to city financially.
However, City have spent the money while not having to get rid of anybody of necessity.

Liverpool have spent less money than them in the last few years AND lost some of their best players.

City have two full squads, which is why they can go so far in the league and FA cups.

The table I'm looking at looks like city has indeed spend waaay crazy
Tottenham are looking really good, while United look horrible
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-...bewerb/GB1
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-15, 10:15 AM)lillypad_33 Wrote:

I agree with you that Liverpool are in the same league when it comes to city financially.
However, City have spent the money while not having to get rid of anybody of necessity.

Liverpool have spent less money than them in the last few years AND lost some of their best players.

City have two full squads, which is why they can go so far in the league and FA cups.

Not excusing United's spending/results. But ignoring the fact that there is a United premium in terms of what they have to spend to get a player. 

Take those dollars down 20-25% and that is what most teams would have to spend on the same player, and they suddenly don't look too horrible, just really bad.
Thanks given by:
Hammers went from 13 to 10 on the table so this season was a success. Went from a -20 GD to a -3 so definitely pleased with the progress
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-15, 12:29 PM)bicboi Wrote: Hammers went from 13 to 10 on the table so this season was a success. Went from a -20 GD to a -3 so definitely pleased with the progress

Good numbers for an 81 million pound investment.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-15, 10:15 AM)lillypad_33 Wrote:

That's a "net spend" table it looks like to me, which I totally get in terms of measuring player spending.  To me, it makes no sense to look at that versus total profitability.  I mean...If factoring the profit from a Coutinho sale is OK, why not shirts or lawn tractors?  It's all money and I guarantee it makes no difference to investors and accountants. 

Also totally agree about City's squad depth.  It's unreal and I'm very surprised Liverpool managed to maintain the level they did all year without injuries.  It's remarkable honestly.  City meanwhile have identical players at all positions.  Literally duplicates.  KDB didn't really play this year and he's amazing! Plus the amount of fullbacks they have and Central defenders.  They're only weak spot is cover for Fernandinho.  Otherwise they have two guys per position who would start at any other team in the league easily. 

But when we talk about spending...all the clubs spend, either on fees or salary.  Even Arsenal.  Ozil's wage is hilarious.

And the way things are going, the spending is going to go up.  Barcelona for example are just crazy.  I don't know where there money comes from.
Thanks given by:
I'm not suggesting Liverpool isn't a big spender, money helps their cause tremendously. However clubs like Man U and Liverpool built themselves up to where they are with their great history and built successful brands with a huge global market. Teams like Citeh and Chelsea were average until big spenders bought them. It's all fair though, I just stated a fact that it's hard to keep up.
Thanks given by:
Combination of basically being able to buy anyone you want bar Messi and Ronaldo (and he might have come if asked) plus a manager as good as Guardiola is over a season, and City are unstoppable.
Liverpool have spent a lot in the last three windows, just to get to where we are, which is "first losers".
Only chance any of us have is if Pep moves along.
Thanks given by: