Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prospects Thread 2016-17
(2017-03-26, 06:58 PM)Canucksfansince1989 Wrote: You know what's funny about the draft is how it proved everybody wrong. This same time last year, every one of us wanted to see Pierre Luc Dubois drafted, even over Matthew Tkachuk. But if you ask me, Olli Juolevi at this point is a better draft pick than Dubois. Of course, I could still end up being wrong on this. Dubois's numbers haven't gone up from last year (gone down actually) and Olli has maintained his offensive pace despite losing the best forward line in junior hockey last year and apparently playing a more defensive game this year.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

To me Juolevi getting exactly the same points this year  10-32-42 in 58 games VS last year 9-33-42 in 57 games after not having Tkachuck, Dvorak and Marner to feed the puck to......is extremely telling.     Exactly what you want in a D-man is consistency and the ability to make others players better.   

He is looking more and more like a great selection and with a little filling out he should be ready to go in a year or so.    No rush on him, not given the team we have now.    

Elite prospects;

A competitive spark-plug, Olli Juolevi is a complete, all-around defenceman who can hem the opposition in their own end or make things difficult for the opposition at home; either way, he puts the pressure on and lays it on thick. A strong and balanced skater, he can rush the puck through the neutral zone with ease or backcheck with haste. Uses his size to his advantage, but knows his physical limits and plays within them. Instead of playing overly physical, he makes his presence felt by exhibiting his high-end playmaking ability and puck possession play. All-in-all, a well-rounded blueliner who thrives under pressure and can be trusted in all situations.
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Thanks given by:
Stecher, Pedan, Goldobin, Dahlen and Juolevi all seen together at the whitecaps game yesterday. Hope the on ice bonding goes as well as the off ice appears.

RUMOR, canucks may be after Paul Byron. ?

Good to see their serious about having zero GRIT!!!!!  Sad
Thanks given by:
(2017-05-21, 12:52 PM)trapper Wrote: Stecher, Pedan, Goldobin, Dahlen and Juolevi all seen together at the whitecaps game yesterday. Hope the on ice bonding goes as well as the off ice appears.

RUMOR, canucks may be after Paul Byron. ?

Good to see their serious about having zero GRIT!!!!!  Sad

Well I hope we only give up our 1st rounder and Tanev for Byron.     Big power forward....almost 5'8" on skates and way over 150 lbs....almost 160.   Laugh

Christ.... isn't Mason Raymond available?

I guess if they sign him....its strictly for depth but I really wouldn't see the point.     Need some killer for depth to scare the bejeezuz out of Lucy and Kassy.
Thanks given by:
I often wonder what would happen if an NHL team decided to build an all canadian, all swedish, all russian or all american, ect team. Would the better players of that country buy into something like that and make that team a destination of choice?

Example; The canucks let it be known they were going to build an all swedish team. Trade all their current non swedish players for swedes only. Draft all swedes or trade picks for the best swede you can.

Yeah or nay?
Thanks given by:
(2017-05-21, 03:53 PM)trapper Wrote: I often wonder what would happen if an NHL team decided to build an all canadian,  all swedish,  all russian or all american,  ect team. Would the better players of that country buy into something like that and make that team a destination of choice?

Example; The canucks let it be known they were going to build an all swedish team. Trade all their current non swedish players for swedes only. Draft all swedes or trade picks for the best swede you can.

Yeah or nay?

A swedish all-star team?    Laugh

Great idea trap,   but some difficulties arise, such as Cap.     The NHLPA would not be down with this plan especially if they thought those swedish guys were signing for less than market value.      I think Swedes are like anybody else and would go for the best signing location for them and their family.
Thanks given by:
(2017-05-21, 03:53 PM)trapper Wrote: I often wonder what would happen if an NHL team decided to build an all canadian,  all swedish,  all russian or all american,  ect team. Would the better players of that country buy into something like that and make that team a destination of choice?

Yeah or nay?

As long as we could change our name to... The Meatballs...   then I'm in...  Wink

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by: