Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Quacked Up - Game #16 830pm
They tended to dance around it but the consensus was he blew that first goal and it cost the game.

They dont believe there is any help in the minors ie Gillies/Parsons.

They expect Rittich will get the next start and then it depends on his performance, he may get San Hosey too.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not so sure about the former.-Einstein
Thanks given by: Nanuuk
(2018-11-08, 12:08 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: I fell asleep at about the 12 minute mark of the 3rd. Not to far after the Ducks final goal. But for what it is worth here are my observations.

1. First line played well
2. Second line played well (Flames might be onto something with Chucky and Nealer playing on the same line with Backs)
3. Third line was so-so. Not bad, not great, just so-so. Benny's minutes were down and only 1 SOG.
4. Fourth line was so-so. Jankow scored (on a brilliant effort), Czar was on his off wing. Peluso was Peluso. About the same as Hathaway.

D played well, all pairings.

Goalie stunk.

1 PP unit ok, 2nd not so much.

Hathaway and Peluso need to be sent down. Recall Mangiapane to play 4LW with Janks and Ryan. As much as I pound the drums for some toughness, it is apparent that we have a need for speed. A slow 4 line slows down our transition game and our forecheck.

Play Czarnik as 3C with Benny as 3LW and Frodo as 3RW. Or Frodo as 3LW, Benny 3C and Czar 3RW. Hopefully this combo can generate more chances. Note that I'm not sure if Janko is ready to get off the 4 line. Czar plays a great possession game. If Dube is healthy he bumps Frodo off of the line. Its apparent that Frodo play well with Backs and not so well with others. And given Backs play last night (6 SOG) with Chuck and Nealer, I can't see him dragging down the 3 line in terms of creativity. And I can't see sitting Czarnik or playing him on the 4 line.

It might have been after you dozed off.., but Kelly Hrudey indicated that Hathaway might have a minor injury right now and that is why they called up Peluso.

Peluso is not the same as Hathaway.  Peluso is much worse.  He played less than 4.5 minutes and ended -1 (just as Beerisfood predicted).  He can't handle a pass or do much with the puck.  He was lucky to not get called for boarding.

The 2nd PP has not scored a goal this year.  As I have mentioned once or twice, it would help not to weigh them down with a non-scorer.  As I have also mentioned once or twice before, they should put Valimaki or Andersson out there with Hanifin.

Bennett's minutes were down because he wasn't really used on special teams.
"What's the first thing a lion does after he wakes up?" Badger Bob Johnson
"He licks his balls" Kent Nilsson
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-08, 01:57 PM)FlameFilosi4 Wrote: They tended to dance around it but the consensus was he blew that first goal and it cost the game.

They dont believe there is any help in the minors ie Gillies/Parsons.

They expect Rittich will get the next start and then it depends on his performance, he may get San Hosey too.

GILLIES   4.73    .854
PARSONS 4.91    .831

Now I am the first to admit I don't follow Stockton at all so I am not sure if their 4-6-1 record is a result of those goaltending stats, or the other way around but they are not good.

I can factor in the subtraction of Valimaki and Andersson as a huge hit to their D... Kylington and Olas Mattson are the only two I have even heard of.

Whatever... I think it is obvious these are our two guys (Smith and Rittich) and I hope with Smith's struggles dating back to MArch of last year when he came back that Rittich is given the opportunity to earn and keep the crease as I believe his meltdown last year was some what overblown by the collapse of the entire team in front of him as well and it snowballed down the stretch.

We are still sitting third in the conference which is something we haven't been able to say the past couple of years, but it still stings to know these points were in our grasp...
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4 , KNilsson14
We lost last night because of Smith end of story . His stats don’t lie , worst starting goalie in the league . I have no answers either but I will tell you this , it will be a dam shame if the team falls short because of the goaltending . 
      I say if he doesn’t wet the bed play Rittich for a few games . Let’s see what we got . Either we have our long term answer or that question will be answered .
Thanks given by: Nanuuk , Nanuuk
I don't think Stockton's club is that good this year. Or at least they've struggled out of the gate. New coaching staff for starters and just about a complete roster change. Returnees at forward - McMurtry, Foo, Klimchuk, Pollock, Mangiapane, Lomberg, Sabourin, with additions Lazar, Robinson, Phillips, Rychel, Quine, Gawdin and Graovac. And pretty much an entirely new D with the exception of Kylington and Healey.

Parsons is hurt and I'd take Gillies record with a bit of a grain of salt. I imagine it would be better with a more cohesive team in front of him. What his record doesn't tell us is how many stinkers has he let in.

And while I'm at it, this Tyler Graovac kid looks interesting. 10 points in 11 games minus 4. 25 years old, 6'5" 210 lbs. played 52 games with Minnesota in 2016-17 and only 5 with the Capitals in 2017-18 before going to the Hersey Bears. He's a centre, but a left hand shot. I'd love to see him line up next to Jankowski on the 4 line to see what he's got.
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
A New Goalie

So I've been reading all the critiques of Mike Smith's goaltending on Wednesday, and the consensus is - fire him into the sun! But then somebody came in with the numbers, and they are not pretty. So I went to CapGeek and looked it all up. {Sigh.}

Smith's AAV is $5,666,667, 25% - $1,416,667 is paid by the Coyotes, so the AAV for Cgy is $4,250,000 . Smith has a modified NTC so submits a list of 8 teams he wont go to. I'm guessing the list contains all the worst goalie teams ie Philly.

Cgy's cap space is $1.3 million. If you send Smith to the AHL only $1 mil comes off the cap, the rest stays. So with $2.3 mil cap space can you go an buy a new #1? Can you wangle a trade for a retread like Bobrofsky? Would you want to?

There only seems to be one way to buy a top goalie in this league. It will cost  you a #1 pick. Are you ready to spend that on a goalie of the future, or live out the rest of the year with Smith/Rittich?

Cold thoughts for the light of dawn.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not so sure about the former.-Einstein
Thanks given by: Nanuuk , Nanuuk , Beerisfood