Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quinn Hughes
(2018-07-28, 10:10 AM)binder Wrote: well I am not sad to hear this but I hope he signs a contract soon

this is why I hate drafting us college players, they are becoming almost as big a risk to draft as Russians

How many have we lost?  and I hope we NEVER draft another Russian, EVER. R.O.I. is so skinny
Phill 2:10-11 
Thanks given by:
Lemieux, Yzerman, Gretzky, Bossy, Neely, Dionne, Lafleur, Orr, Robinson, Coffey, Bourque, Martin Brodeur, Niedermeyer, Pronger, Getzlaf, Perry, The Sutters, Trottier, Gillies, Probert, Sakic, ... Some of the best players in modern NHL history... know what they have in common?  THEY ALL CAME OUT OF CANADIAN MAJOR JUNIOR

I still say draft from there first
Thanks given by:
The boards are dead as rocks, and I can't post in Off Topic. What can ya do?? See you in late September
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-07, 10:47 PM)Highstyx Wrote: Lemieux, Yzerman, Gretzky, Bossy, Neely, Dionne, Lafleur, Orr, Robinson, Coffey, Bourque, Martin Brodeur, Niedermeyer, Pronger, Getzlaf, Perry, The Sutters, Trottier, Gillies, Probert, Sakic, ... Some of the best players in modern NHL history... know what they have in common?  THEY ALL CAME OUT OF CANADIAN MAJOR JUNIOR

Jonathan Toews, Chris Chellios, Brian Leetch - US College

Matt Sundin, Peter Stasty, Peter Forsberg, Jaromir Jagr, Dominick Hasek, Nicklas Lidstrom, Alex Ovechkin, Jari Kurri, Pavel Bure, Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Evgeni Malkin, Alex Mogilny, Sergi Federov, Pavel Datsyuk, Temmu Selanne - Europe
Thanks given by: GWonder , GWonder
(2018-08-07, 11:00 PM)Pouzar Wrote:
(2018-08-07, 10:47 PM)Highstyx Wrote: Lemieux, Yzerman, Gretzky, Bossy, Neely, Dionne, Lafleur, Orr, Robinson, Coffey, Bourque, Martin Brodeur, Niedermeyer, Pronger, Getzlaf, Perry, The Sutters, Trottier, Gillies, Probert, Sakic, ... Some of the best players in modern NHL history... know what they have in common?  THEY ALL CAME OUT OF CANADIAN MAJOR JUNIOR

Matt Sundin, Peter Stasty, Peter Forsberg, Jaromir Jagr, Dominick Hasek, Nicklas Lidstrom, Alex Ovechkin, Jari Kurri, Pavel Bure, Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Evgeni Malkin, Alex Mogilny, Sergi Federov, Pavel Datsyuk, Temmu Selanne - Europe

Not one of those guys can touch Yzerman, let alone Messier, 99, 66, and Mister Howe

but you didn't get my point, but instead decided to refute it. the record books prove my comment
Thanks given by:
Styxxy,

The Canucks weren't in the league when How was. The Canucks or no other NHL team had a chance at Gretzky because of the merger rules. The Canucks had no chance at Yzerman or Lemieux because their draft pick was well after they were taken.

With Messier every other team passed him over 2 or 3 times in the draft. Edmonton passed him over twice before they took him in the 3rd round.

How is Sestito doing or Jeff Cowen these days?
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-07, 11:23 PM)Highstyx Wrote:
(2018-08-07, 11:00 PM)Pouzar Wrote:

Not one of those guys can touch Yzerman, let alone Messier, 99, 66, and Mister Howe

but you didn't get my point, but instead decided to refute it. the record books prove my comment

Oh, I got your point but you clearly missed mine regarding many of the all time great players being drafted out of leagues that were not the CHL. Nope, Jagr isn't Gretzky, I agree but I'm guessing PIT is quite happy they passed on Scott Scissons, draftd 6th in 1990 out of the WHL in favor of Jagr.
Thanks given by:
You draft the best player regardless of where they play. Great players come from all around the world. Simply focusing on one league would be foolish.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-08, 02:25 PM)HaroldSnepsts Wrote: You draft the best player regardless of where they play.  Great players come from all around the world.  Simply focusing on one league would be foolish.

One MORE time: The best returns have been from Canadian Junior. I hope you can understand that. Maybe you don't 'see' percentages.. anyhow, at this point. I am done
Thanks given by:
Leave it to Highstyx to turn a thread about Quinn Hughes into a Canada > Everybody thread. Smh. 

This is pretty simple - Hughes was the BEST available player at 7. Would be beyond STUPID to reach and draft a Canadian player over the BPA(doesn't matter what nationality) because "The best returns have been from Canadian Junior"

Thanks given by:
(2018-08-08, 04:28 PM)Highstyx Wrote:
(2018-08-08, 02:25 PM)HaroldSnepsts Wrote: You draft the best player regardless of where they play.  Great players come from all around the world.  Simply focusing on one league would be foolish.

One MORE time: The best returns have been from Canadian Junior. I hope you can understand that. Maybe you don't 'see' percentages.. anyhow, at this point. I am done

The above list includes:

- 2nd highest point producer in history
- arguably the best goal scorer of all time
- arguably the best d-man of all time (likely second)
- arguably the best goalie of all time
Thanks given by:
HS will probably be happy with the 2019 draft as, from accounts, the WHL will be represented big time in the first round.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-28, 10:10 AM)binder Wrote: well I am not sad to hear this but I hope he signs a contract soon

this is why I hate drafting us college players, they are becoming almost as big a risk to draft as Russians

I think you will be okay. 

Refusing to sign with Vancouver and waiting until being eligible for free agency would cost Hughes millions of dollars. Not even I hate the Canucks enough to sacrifice millions of dollars by not signing with them. 

Besides, if anyone were at risk of losing a prospect in the above fashion, it would be Ottawa. Vancouver may not be a good team but you guys are not hopelessly dysfunctional.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-08, 12:05 AM)topgun Wrote: Styxxy,

The Canucks weren't in the league when How was. The Canucks or no other NHL team had a chance at Gretzky because of the merger rules. The Canucks had no chance at Yzerman or Lemieux because their draft pick was well after they were taken.

With Messier every other team passed him over 2 or 3 times in the draft. Edmonton passed him over twice before they took him in the 3rd round.

Gotta love Styxxy... but lets be honest... he's older and sillier than me... the end.  Wink

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by: Highstyx
(2018-08-08, 07:05 PM)Pouzar Wrote:
(2018-08-08, 04:28 PM)Highstyx Wrote:

The above list includes:

- 2nd highest point producer in history
- arguably the best goal scorer of all time
- arguably the best d-man of all time (likely second)
- arguably the best goalie of all time

And, IMO... one of the best overall players OAT.... Forsberg was a beast in every way!!!

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by: Pouzar

Trust you to bring up something I said five years ago. Our p play was SO anemic, I said. Put Sestito on it and tell him to go to the net. You have a problem with that, I really don't give a damn

Yes Messier went in round 3. 79 was one awesome draft. Look who went in round 1, then 2, Anderson didn't go til round 4 and Kurri was round five. Edmonton hit homers in that one..  Recchi passed through 2 full drafts and 3 more rounds. In '62 Doug Gilmour went in round FIVE.  32 plus 97 when he was in Toronto (his best season) and I will take Dougie over Sundin.

I wasn't just talking about Vancouver's draft position. Although Trevor worked out pretty good, making the team as an 18 yr old. Almost a Bob Bourne clone..

My point was the PERCENTAGE RETURN is higher from Canadian Juniors than from any other source.... and I want to see more guys taken from there

Do you understand what percentage return means?I ask that  because I said it about 3 times already... and I won't argue the Stastny's, especially Peter.. or Sundin.. Of course they were good
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-08, 09:40 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote:

Gotta love Styxxy... but lets be honest... he's older and sillier than me... the end.  Wink

Impossible
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-08, 04:53 PM)Canuxxx Wrote: Leave it to Highstyx to turn a thread about Quinn Hughes into a Canada > Everybody thread. Smh. 

This is pretty simple - Hughes was the BEST available player at 7. Would be beyond STUPID to reach and draft a Canadian player over the BPA(doesn't matter what nationality) because "The best returns have been from Canadian Junior"

I LIKE the pick. Quinn is gonna be awesome. Hey he could play on the wing??? but another point is this.: Without some big bruisers n the blueline, and a couple on the wings, you will get killed. Bening got Beagle and another big guy for a 4 line C and a winger with hustle and muscle.. so I guess he knows this too.

Watch Sautner develop.. I like Gritty players and I will NEVER apologize for that.
 The twins were great for us, but ten yrs ago I said we would never win a cup with them,.. I was right  Popcorn tongue  and the guy who came through in the clutch was BURROWS

Finally, this is about Quinn Hughes so call it derailing.. but we have had almost ZERO activity on these boards in 2 months
Thanks given by: