Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
R.I.P. Ron Hynes
One of the East Coast’s most treasured songwriters has died suddenly at the age of 64.

Legendary Newfoundland-born singer-songwriter Ron Hynes, the beloved folk artist who is known as The Man of a Thousand Songs and who won the hearts of music-lovers across the globe after penning the popular Maritime ode, “Sonny’s Dream,” was taken to hospital on Tuesday.

In a message posted to the artist’s fundraising campaign page, which was created to help the musician pay for the recording, production and release of his next album, fans were informed that shows scheduled to happen in Fredericton and Hampton this weekend had been cancelled and that Hynes would be taking a break from the stage indefinitely.

“Ron was taken to hospital this morning by ambulance your thoughts and prayers are greatly welcomed and appreciated, feel free to post them here,” reads the exact wording of the message shared by his management.

In October, Hynes informed his fans during an interview with the CBC that his cancer had returned, spreading to his hip and lungs. He had begun radiation and chemotherapy treatments and told the interviewer that he was optimistic he’d beat cancer once again.

“I am not afraid,” he said.

In a post to his personal Facebook page, Hynes thanked his many fans for their support.

“I want to thank each and every one of you from the deepest core of my heart and soul,” he wrote in a posting from Oct. 29.

“Because of all of you and your words of pure compassion and kindness you’ve made a night destined toward misery and doubt change to one of sheer delight.”

The Canadian Press reported Thursday evening that Hynes died shortly after 6 p.m. while receiving treatment at the Health Sciences Centre in St. John’s.

Hynes had been scheduled to perform at the Shiretown Publicans in Hampton on Sunday afternoon and then travel to Fredericton for an evening set at the Wilser’s Room.

This would have been the third show Hynes played in the capital region this year.

He played an intimate house concert several months ago and played a sold-out show at the Wilser’s Room on Feb. 12. That was a moving evening, one that saw Hynes discuss with fans his triumphant battle with throat cancer back in 2012.

Though he sometimes struggled to hit certain notes on that wintry evening in February, he wowed the audience with his nimble guitar-playing and with the enduring passion that helped him become one of the region and country’s most acclaimed songwriters.

Hynes, speaking with the Gleaner for a story in the days before that February performance, said that in his first bout with throat cancer he feared that his musical career may have come to an end.

“For a while, when I was sick, I thought I wouldn’t get better. Of all the things God could have given me, He gave me throat cancer,” he said at the time.

“I went through a period where I really thought that I was dying. And another side of me thought I would never be able to do this again, you know? This is all I know how to do. It was very scary. But I’m glad to be back.”

Even though his performances in recent months had been physically taxing, Hynes didn’t want to be anywhere else.

Sharing his songs with his fans, he said, is what has always made him happiest.

“I still love it. I still love them. I love them all. They’re my audience and they’re loyal as hell,” he said.

“You have to feel like you’ve reached people and that’s what songs are all about. They’re about communication. They have to mean something to people, or else, what’s the point?”

Alan Doyle, talented Newfoundland solo artist, author, actor, and former lead-singer of Great Big Sea, has always claimed Hynes is his favourite singer-songwriter.

“I think Ron is the best songwriter in Canada, because I can’t think of anybody else who speaks of the most regional things and makes them seem so global,” said Doyle in a quote often used to help promote Hynes’ touring dates.

New Brunswick bluesman Matt Andersen said he was saddened to hear of Hynes’ passing.

“Probably the biggest lesson I took from watching Ron was to be yourself on stage. The man you saw on stage was the same man you laughed with behind the curtain,” he said late Thursday evening.

“He always showed all us other musicians respect, no matter where we were in our careers. He carved a path for all of us and was always willing to help us along. Often, it might have just been a short word of encouragement. But coming from Ron, that meant the world to those of us who looked up to him.”

After All, Life Goes On!!
Thanks given by:
Sonny's Dream will live on Ron. Thank you for all your music.
After All, Life Goes On!!
Thanks given by: ckendall
A sad loss for sure
"I thank you in advance for the great round of applause I am about to get." - Bo Diddley
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf