Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
...Raptors 1st in the East
The Raptors are for real. Anyone who denies that as being a top 5 or 6 team in the NBA isn't paying attention. The West is stronger then the East, but the Raptors and Celtics are right there with the Rockets, Spurs, etc. Toronto's bench is so strong and it's going to keep them in so many games down the stretch when the starters are struggling. I really hope we get to see a Toronto-Boston ECF, because I think it could get pretty wild.

The Raptors-Celtics game tomorrow night should be good, though the Celtics are likely going to be missing Kyrie. It's gonna be a great chance for Toronto to cut Boston's lead to one game, but the Celtics already beat Toronto without Kyrie this season, so we'll have to see.
Thanks given by:
As much as I think the raps are a top team, Canuxxx has a point that he's brought up in previous threads. Cleveland is the favourite until they are knocked out.

Still I think Boston and Toronto are capable of dethroning em!
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Dammit, can't decide to between watching OKC vs GSW or Toronto vs Boston, its fun being a basketball fan again lol.
Thanks given by:
Raptors-Celtics is gonna be fun. Boston is still missing Smart, but it sounds like Kyrie and Morris will play. I think Toronto wins tonight. They have been a little better then Boston lately and are the Home team.
Thanks given by:
(2018-02-05, 07:55 PM)bicboi Wrote: As much as I think the raps are a top team, Canuxxx has a point that he's brought up in previous threads. Cleveland is the favourite until they are knocked out.

It's not just that. The Raptors are SO BAD in the playoffs. There's a better chance that they get knocked out in the 1st round than them beating the Cavs in the playoffs. It's just not going to happen.

If the Raptors matched up against Philly in the 1st round. I would put my money on the Sixers.

Thanks given by:
Raps are a different team now, than they have been in the playoffs. Can't judge what will happen, off what has happened...it has no bearing.

Same reason Cavs won't get anywhere close to the final.
Thanks given by:
(2018-02-06, 03:09 PM)Canuxxx Wrote:
(2018-02-05, 07:55 PM)bicboi Wrote: As much as I think the raps are a top team, Canuxxx has a point that he's brought up in previous threads. Cleveland is the favourite until they are knocked out.

It's not just that. The Raptors are SO BAD in the playoffs. There's a better chance that they get knocked out in the 1st round than them beating the Cavs in the playoffs. It's just not going to happen.

If the Raptors matched up against Philly in the 1st round. I would put my money on the Sixers.

Their one run to the ECF was pretty good. I think they have enough experience to not repeat mistakes of the past or not to underestimate any team.
Thanks given by:
Raptors JUST beat the C's at the ACC by 20 tonight. Now just ONE game back of the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference. Happy
Thanks given by:
Great game. I like the 2nd unit a lot more than the 1st, to be honest. Van Vleet is probably my favourite player on the team.

I wish the 1st unit played like the 2nd.
Thanks given by:
The Raptors second unit is elite. Hopefully they can keep Van Vleet around, but I imagine he will leave for a big pay day
Thanks given by:
(2018-02-07, 06:06 AM)encore Wrote: The Raptors second unit is elite. Hopefully they can keep Van Vleet around, but I imagine he will leave for a big pay day

He's an RFA in 2019;  Lowry and Ibaka are up a year after that, so perhaps they can sign him to a back loaded deal?  I'm not quite sure how the NBA salary cap works.

I don't think both Lowry and Ibaka will be returning after their deals are up, so their should be some cap space available.
Thanks given by:
My mistake, I thought FVV was a FA this off-season. We'll see if they can hang on to both him and Wright though.

Anyway, I'm not sure how anyone can ignore the Raptors this season. Are you watching the games? You could make a legitimate argument that Toronto is the second best team in the NBA, but realistically they are in that group with Boston, Houston, San Antonio, etc. They have been unbeatable at home this season, so if they can remain in a top 2 position in the East (highly likely), I personally think it's going to be tough to imagine them not being in the ECF.
Thanks given by: ckendall
Actually, I think I was mistaken:

https://tipofthetower.com/2018/02/08/tor...-vanvleet/

Quote:A career year coupled with a contract season means a payday, but it’s unclear whether the Toronto Raptors will be able to make the payment. VanVleet is making $1.3 million this year and that will change drastically in July.  In 2016. Steady Freddy’s impact and numbers would demand a $12-14 million contract; teams were just throwing money at players.

This offseason is proving to be a bear marke. Most teams are down to the mid-level exception but there are still some with wiggle room.

There are 12 teams with $10 million or more in cap space and a handful of them could really use a backup point. Orlando, Phoenix, Dallas and Sacramento (if the George Hill trade ever goes through) are the most likely teams and they aren’t the most careful franchises with funds.

Vanvleet is a restricted free agent with early bird rights, so the Raptors will have a chance to match any offer that comes his way, although it’s not that simple.  Early Bird rights only allow the exception of signing a free agent to 175 percent of his previous salary or 104.5 percent of the league-average salary, whichever is greater, while over the salary cap.

Last year’s average salary was a little over $8 million. Unless there’s an unforeseen influx in spending this year the average salary will hover around the same mark.

As the roster is currently constructed, the Raptors are over the cap and just under the luxury tax. The absolute most they can offer VanVleet during the off-season, without making serious roster changes is the mid-level exception (MLE). A healthy sum of money at a little over $8 million, but if a larger deal comes around the Raptors have to acquiesce the loss of VanVleet.

I don't think the Raptors can afford to lose him.  Would they risk going into luxury tax territory?  Perhaps they'd move Norman Powell?

There is the risk that Van Vleet could regress next year (as Powell has), but he seems like a legit candidate to keep improving.

You're right about the Raptors - while they can have some frustrating games, they are undoubtedly one of the top teams in the NBA.  Prior to the season I think a lot of us figured they'd be good, but not great, and slip from where they were last year.

It's a real testament to the management and coaching staff - they've really been able to consistently draft and develop talent that can contribute.
Thanks given by:
They just added another 1.6 million in commitments next year with the Bruno trade too. That's what Richardson is owed next season as his 3rd year option has already been exercised. That puts them over 126 million for next season without FVV.
Thanks given by:
Raptors just missed taking over 1st tonight.

Washington had the game in their hands after a big 4th quarter run, then with the clock winding down Irving was fouled making a three.

Unfortunately the Wizards couldn't make it happen in overtime.

I can see the Raps taking 1st place at some point.
Thanks given by:
I think the Raps are taking 1st and staying there if Hayward has a set back.
Thanks given by:
(2018-02-08, 03:11 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: They just added another 1.6 million in commitments next year with the Bruno trade too. That's what Richardson is owed next season as his 3rd year option has already been exercised. That puts them over 126 million for next season without FVV.

from...TSN...Josh Lewenberg....

However, in making the swap, the Raptors figure to shed just under $1 million in salary off their books for this season, which should free up enough space for them to fill their vacant 15th roster spot without dipping into the luxury tax.

Although teams don't officially release their payroll information, most projections had Toronto just under the league's tax line, likely to go over it if they signed another player. Now they should have enough flexibility to be players in the buyout market, which generally heats up following the trade deadline.
Thanks given by:
(2018-02-08, 11:03 PM)Unreal Wrote: Raptors just missed taking over 1st tonight.

Washington had the game in their hands after a big 4th quarter run, then with the clock winding down Irving was fouled making a three.

Unfortunately the Wizards couldn't make it happen in overtime.

I can see the Raps taking 1st place at some point.

Boston was leading by 10 with 6 minutes remaining but blew it down the stretch. Against a team playing without their star point guard they have to be better. Small correction though, Kyrie missed the shot but made all 3 FTs. 

As for first place, the Raptors are playing like a top seed right now. They'll likely have a good chance at taking over the top seed going into the All Star break, with Boston playing a tough game tonight after their OT game last night and then the Cavs on Sunday. The Raptors have a tough one against Miami on Tuesday and then they go to Chicago on Wednesday, so I'm betting they lose one of those.
Thanks given by:
(2018-02-09, 07:13 AM)Justaleafan Wrote:
(2018-02-08, 03:11 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: They just added another 1.6 million in commitments next year with the Bruno trade too. That's what Richardson is owed next season as his 3rd year option has already been exercised. That puts them over 126 million for next season without FVV.

from...TSN...Josh Lewenberg....

However, in making the swap, the Raptors figure to shed just under $1 million in salary off their books for this season, which should free up enough space for them to fill their vacant 15th roster spot without dipping into the luxury tax.

Although teams don't officially release their payroll information, most projections had Toronto just under the league's tax line, likely to go over it if they signed another player. Now they should have enough flexibility to be players in the buyout market, which generally heats up following the trade deadline.

Yup they did shed 1 million for this season. But Bruno was an upcoming RFA. They had no salary tied to him yet for next season. So all of Richardsons salary NEXT season is an add to the payroll.
Thanks given by:
And Toronto is in 1st
Thanks given by: