Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raptors Next Moves - 2019/2020
So what's next for the Raptors?

Is Casey gone?

Do they get rid of a core piece?

Can't imagine Ujiri is going to be happy coming back with no changes.
Thanks given by:
I think Casey is done, which would be funny because he's likely one of the leading candidates to win NBA COY - showing really how meaningless that award is. When you get swept three times in four years, you've got a pretty big problem. Some of his players really let him down these playoffs, but Indiana put up a much better effort then Toronto did and their star player was pretty disappointing for 3 or 4 games of that series. The Raptors had a poor gameplan to defend LeBron and the wings, and they never adjusted when Cleveland's role players started hitting those 3's. Indiana took LeBron one-on-one, and even when he drove, they took their chances on forcing LeBron to make tough shots in the paint because they didn't give him those passing lanes to the wing. But Toronto just completely collapsed anytime LeBron took the ball into the paint.

I think in an ideal world Ujiri could trade Derozan or Lowry, but this is also probably the worst time to trade those players because their value is probably at an all time low. Those guys both make around $30 million a year, which means it's going to be really difficult to make a deal. Ibaka is likely unmovable. I don't think Raptors fans would be happy about the kind of return they'd get for those players.
Thanks given by:
Offer Lebronto a HUGE HUGE contract for 2 years  , he has an out clause this summer on 1 year left.

Get him and you win it all.  Don't and you keep losing until he is out of the East.

He owns Toronto Quite badly. Always has.
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-08, 02:15 PM)maclintock Wrote: Offer Lebronto a HUGE HUGE contract for 2 years  , he has an out clause this summer on 1 year left.

Get him and you win it all.  Don't and you keep losing until he is out of the East.

He owns Toronto Quite badly. Always has.

Disregarding whether or not LeBron would be interested, Toronto has nowhere near the cap space to offer LeBron something that would even come close to what he's worth. They have three players making over $20 million a year on their roster.
Thanks given by:
Said it in the playoff thread, but the Raptors just aren't a good playoff team. They never have been with this core. NBA higher seeds routinely crush lower seeds, and the Raptors have been upset by lower seeds multiple times, have been swept three times, and have never dominated a series despite being a dominant regular season team.

This isn't a case of the Raptors fighting it out in close series against top contenders, it's the Raptors getting crushed, and struggling even in the series they have won.

Make big changes, don't keep the status quo.
Thanks given by:
it's kinda sad that Duane Casey is most likely gonna take the blame when honestly the draketors "star" players simply never showed up which has become the M.O. of the franchise every spring.
Bautista deserved worse.
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-08, 01:15 PM)encore Wrote: I think Casey is done, which would be funny because he's likely one of the leading candidates to win NBA COY - showing really how meaningless that award is. When you get swept three times in four years, you've got a pretty big problem. Some of his players really let him down these playoffs, but Indiana put up a much better effort then Toronto did and their star player was pretty disappointing for 3 or 4 games of that series. The Raptors had a poor gameplan to defend LeBron and the wings, and they never adjusted when Cleveland's role players started hitting those 3's. Indiana took LeBron one-on-one, and even when he drove, they took their chances on forcing LeBron to make tough shots in the paint because they didn't give him those passing lanes to the wing. But Toronto just completely collapsed anytime LeBron took the ball into the paint.

I think in an ideal world Ujiri could trade Derozan or Lowry, but this is also probably the worst time to trade those players because their value is probably at an all time low. Those guys both make around $30 million a year, which means it's going to be really difficult to make a deal. Ibaka is likely unmovable. I don't think Raptors fans would be happy about the kind of return they'd get for those players.

Casey did a great job with the younger players on the team, all of whom seemed to buy completely into the new system.

He certainly has his flaws, but I feel like a firing is undeserved.  The problem is the personnel he's been given.  Lowry and DeRozan are great secondary stars, but they can't carry a team.  I recall when Ibaka was signed it was suggested Toronto had their own version of a 'Big 3'.  Where were Ibaka and DeRozan this series?  Nowhere to be seen.  They didn't even have to perform at a superstar level.  If they were even average this series would be tied 2-2 with Game 5 at the ACC tomorrow.  His response to his Game 3 benching/performance was telling too; something along the lines of 'it was just one of those nights'.  The problem is that it wasn't just one of those nights - it was the most important game in franchise history with their season on the line.  He claimed adversity brings out the best in them, but with this core adversity routinely seems to do the opposite.

Is a new coach going to transform DeRozan to at least a competent defender, a good three point shooter and a guy who can carry a team when the going get's tough. It's hard to see that happening.

I also think Ujiri has to start taking some heat.  He's done a good job overall, and him and his staff have found some terrific talent later in the draft.  However, he was the one who made the decision that Lowry and DeRozan are superstars.  He's the one that gave up a relatively big package for Ibaka and signed him to a large deal.  That's not look so great right no, though you could argue his hands were tied somewhat.

You're right about trade value, but will Lowry and DeRozan ever see that trade value increase?  Both aren't getting any younger. If anything, the cap relief might be worth as much (if not more) than what they get in return.  I wonder if they target someone like Andrew Wiggins while his value his low?

Ultimately they probably hire a new coach, ride out this core for the next few seasons then really make some hard decisions after that.  It's hard to see them landing a truly elite player any other way than the draft.
Thanks given by:
I'd move Lowry and DeRozan, at least one of them. The raps have a good chance to do a good 2-3 year retool where they can still make the playoffs while letting younger guys develop. I don't think DD can be the star player we can rely on.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
I'd like to see them get depth players like Eriza or Barton as well.
Thanks given by:
From a business perspective, it may make perfect sense for the Raptors to stay the course with DeRozan and Lowry. They'll continue to remain competitive and maybe be a top 4 seed. Fans will fill the seats and they should be good enough to win a playoff series here and there, giving the organization that added playoff revenue. The Raptors have the talent to remain a top 4 seed in the East for the next few years, but with their core locked in, it's pretty hard to imagine them really improving a whole lot without some kind of lucky bounce.

They could take a stab at Jabari Parker this off-season. He's likely not returning to Milwaukee, and despite his high pedigree coming out of high school he hasn't really had a chance to take off in the NBA. Antetokounmpo kind of filled his role, and the Bucks haven't really had a good coaching staff since he's been there, and he's had injury problems. He's a very talented player who was a 20 ppg player just two years ago. He'd be a really nice potential buy-low option. The Raptors would likely have to shed some salary though, which is where it gets difficult. Personally, I think Lowry is the best option to be moved because I think he has the highest trade value between him, DeRozan, and Ibaka. The Raptors also have some quality options to take over at the point for him.

DeMarcus Cousins is another free agency option, but even with his injury he's likely going to be out of their price range. Someone is going to unload a huge contract on him.

Julius Randle could be a good option. He had a killer last half of the season last year and if the Lakers are unloading salary to take a run at LeBron/George/Kawhi, then they might let Randle walk. Again though, the Raptors would need to shed salary.

Those would be my picks (minus Cousins - that's not happening) as potential guys who could really make a big impact on the Raptors.

Some other really buy-low candidates: Dante Exum (young, injury-plagued, former high pick), Montrezl Harrell (big, tough defender/rebounder), and Luc Mbah A Moute (a better Siakam). Finally, Lance Stephenson. You want to beat LeBron, you get Lance Stephenson. I'm expecting the Pacers to pick up his option, but out of every single player I've mentioned, Lance Stephenson might be the one player who could improve this team the most.
Thanks given by:
Those are some great suggestions. Cousins came to mind as well, but he's something of a risk coming off his Achilles injury.

Wiggins seems like a possibility given there's a level of uncertainty around his game and his large contract. That might be an option to move one of their larger contracts too, just not sure Minnesota would want any of Toronto's larger contracts. Lowry would probably be the most likely candidate.

I wonder how far the Raptors would be willing to go into the luxury tax for the next few years to maximize their chances.
Thanks given by:
If shit Brix if the Raptors got Parker. Stephenson would got in well too, he was a beast against the Cavs

I think next year is the last year we stay a top 4 Eastern team (Lowry's contract is up after that and I'm not sure they'd keep him and DD after another bad playoff performance).
Thanks given by:
I think Lowry is the most likely player to be dealt. IMO integrating a player like Lowry into your team is a lot easier then someone like DeRozan, who relies more on isolation then anything else.
Thanks given by:
That makes sense. He only has a few years left on his deal too.

Parker would be a nice add, but the two ACL injuries loom large.
Thanks given by:
And the search for a new coach begins
Thanks given by:
Don't understand the Dwayne Casey firing.

Nobody other than Golden State has been good enough to beat Lebron over the past 3 playoffs, and Raptors "best" players absolutely disappeared this year after pumping their own tires. Not too sure what how a new coach will change that.

Best of luck to him moving forward.
Thanks given by:
He's going to get a good job and hopefully with a roster that has a star that doesn't quit on the team. Good luck Dwayne
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-11, 11:10 AM)cheeserat13 Wrote: Don't understand the Dwayne Casey firing.

Nobody other than Golden State has been good enough to beat Lebron over the past 3 playoffs, and Raptors "best" players absolutely disappeared this year after pumping their own tires. Not too sure what how a new coach will change that.

Best of luck to him moving forward.

One word - scapegoat.

Lowry and DeRozan are the biggest issue there, not Casey.

Thanks given by:
with the same roster, and different coach, the team gets worse not better.
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-11, 02:38 PM)Chris D Wrote: with the same roster, and different coach, the team gets worse not better.

Not necessarily. I though Casey was OK as coach but certainly wasn't poor or great.
Thanks given by: