Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really Votto???
This is kind of surprising to me. Did I miss something? Thought Votto was a proud Canadian? Hasn't he talked about following footsteps of Larry Walker etc?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/jo...-baseball/
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-16, 01:26 AM)teamblue Wrote: This is kind of surprising to me. Did I miss something? Thought Votto was a proud Canadian? Hasn't he talked about following footsteps of Larry Walker etc?

Absolute joke comments. 

What a loser. Stay in the USA and enjoy losing in Cincy
Thanks given by: ckendall
He has since posted an apology.
Life is Hard ........ It's Harder if You're Stupid
Thanks given by:
The comments he made go against a lot of the actions Votto has done over the years, so it surprises me he said these things. Though he's really not wrong in saying them either to be honest.

Everyone is human and can be found in bad moods or whatever. That's all I'm going to chalk this up to after seeing his apology.
Thanks given by:
Cincinnati Reds all-star Joey Votto has penned an apology after saying in a podcast on Tuesday that he doesn’t care about Canada, Canadian baseball or his hometown of Toronto.

Votto, who played for Canada at the 2009 and 2013 World Baseball Classics and won the Lou Marsh Award as Canada’s athlete of the year in 2010 and 2017, distanced himself from his home country in an interview with Yahoo! Sports Major League Baseball podcast.

“I don’t care almost at all about Canadian baseball,” said Votto, who was also the National League MVP in 2010. “I wasn’t raised inside of Canadian baseball really. I’m coming up on half of my life being in the United States working and being supported by American baseball.”

But in an email posted on the Canadian Baseball Network website after the Reds lost 5-3 to the San Francisco Giants Tuesday night, Votto said he is “terribly ashamed” of his comments and called them “ridiculously selfish and short-sighted.”

Votto added: “I am saddened that I was so flagrant with my remarks and more importantly that I offended so many people that mean so much to me.”

Votto’s initial comments came after he was asked about James Paxton of Ladner, B.C., throwing his recent no-hitter for the Seattle Mariners against the Blue Jays in Toronto, becoming the first Canadian in MLB history to do so on home soil.

“As far as Toronto, and Canadian baseball, and the country of Canada, and (James Paxton) being Canadian, I don’t care at all,” said Votto. “(Paxton), or the Jays, or Canada, in general, may disagree with that, but I really couldn’t give a rat’s ass about that.”

Votto did clarify in the podcast that he was happy for Paxton as a baseball player, but not as a fellow Canadian.

In his apology, Votto said being asked about baseball in Canada, the Blue Jays and the Paxton no-hitter recalled his resentment for not making Team Canada or being drafted by the Blue Jays out of high school and not being picked for the Olympic team while in the minors.

“Clearly my reply came out of a side of jealousy for a Canadian baseball athlete being celebrated in the city of Toronto. It was an odd reply and one I am terribly ashamed of,” he wrote.

“I go back to Toronto each off-season and feel renewed every time I cross the border to my home and native land. I would not be where I am now without the efforts of so many Canadian baseball people and the fans of Canadian baseball.

“To James Paxton, the Blue Jays, the Toronto fans, the women and men all across Canada that work so hard to promote and support Canadian baseball, I am sorry for my selfish comments and I humbly ask for your forgiveness.”

Thanks given by:
(2018-05-16, 10:58 AM)thebest41587 Wrote: The comments he made go against a lot of the actions Votto has done over the years, so it surprises me he said these things. Though he's really not wrong in saying them either to be honest.

Everyone is human and can be found in bad moods or whatever. That's all I'm going to chalk this up to after seeing his apology.

That's why it surprised me as well. But, on the other hand, he mentions where's his Canadian player moment as a source of jealousy. He won the Lou Marsh award last year. He doesn't consider that a Canadian athlete moment??
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-16, 03:47 AM)Sportking Wrote:
(2018-05-16, 01:26 AM)teamblue Wrote: This is kind of surprising to me. Did I miss something? Thought Votto was a proud Canadian? Hasn't he talked about following footsteps of Larry Walker etc?

Absolute joke comments. 

What a loser. Stay in the USA and enjoy losing in Cincy

It sure doesn't help Votto's mood in that the Reds are the only team in the NL Central that's already out of the hunt before June.
Thanks given by:
he is backtracking, apologizing for the comments.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27762...n-baseball

"I was asked recently about James Paxton and his no-hitter on Canadian soil. I am not sure how I could have been so ridiculously selfish and short-sighted in my reply.

"When asked about baseball in Canada, the Blue Jays and specifically this event, it took me back to the times and my resentment for not making Team Canada in high school, not being drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays out of high school, or not being picked for the Olympic team while in the minor leagues.

"Clearly my reply came out of a side of jealousy for a Canadian baseball athlete being celebrated in the city of Toronto. It was an odd reply and one I am terribly ashamed of."

"As I write this I am saddened that I was so flagrant with my remarks and more importantly that I offended so many people that mean so much to me.

"I would not be where I am now without the efforts of so many Canadian baseball people and the fans of Canadian baseball.

"To James Paxton, the Blue Jays, the Toronto fans, the women and men all across Canada that work so hard to promote and support Canadian baseball, I am sorry for my selfish comments and I humbly ask for your forgiveness."
Thanks given by:
It obviously wasnt very diplomatic but I get where he is coming from. Canadians likes to take credit for players only AFTER they are successful. The reality is that few Canadians care about Canadian baseball players until they become famous, established players and that almost alwayd has more to do with US colleges than Canada. 

For someone like Votto, who got no real recognition from baseball in Canada until he was famous, it must be kind of annoying to have someone walk up and ask "isnt baseball in Canada awesome!"

I'm not offended even a little bit to be honest.
Thanks given by:
while I don't like what he said, I did kind of find it refreshing that he didn't just spout out the cliched one liners that so many interviews are full of. Seriously, there is really no point in hearing player interviews most of the time. They are all the same.

he may be backtracking now, but he said what he said out of real emotion, and even if it was out of a moment of jealousy/anger, he meant what he said at the time he said it.
Thanks given by:
Even more defence of joey. This article seems more in line with Joey's usual actions. This article less surprising than original.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/jo...ll-canada/
Thanks given by:
If I'm being honest, I dont really care much about Paxtons no hitter either. No more so than any other no hitter anyway.

The Canadian throwing a no hitter in Canada was more of a weird coincedence than a massive moment for Canadian baseball. But thats me.
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-16, 09:32 PM)Andrew Wrote: If I'm being honest, I dont really care much about Paxtons no hitter either. No more so than any other no hitter anyway.

The Canadian throwing a no hitter in Canada was more of a weird coincedence than a massive moment for Canadian baseball. But thats me.

may be a cheering point for Paxton as a Canadian...but on Canadian soil, only means that a Canadian team got beat.

may be more noteworthy if Paxton were a Jay. Happy

don't think most Blue Jay fans are cheering they fact they got no hit (though there were some cheers out of respect)
Thanks given by:
Lost a lot of respect for Votto and his accomplishments AS A CANADIAN.

Apparently he IS full fledged AMERICAN now!

Apology or not.
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-16, 12:52 PM)teamblue Wrote: That's why it surprised me as well. But, on the other hand, he mentions where's his Canadian player moment as a source of jealousy. He won the Lou Marsh award last year. He doesn't consider that a Canadian athlete moment??

If anyone should be bitter and pissed about that kind of thing, it's Larry Walker.

He had one of the best seasons in MLB history by a left handed hitter, and lost in voting that year to a car...

Good on Votto for what seems like a sincere apology. How very Canadian. Grin
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-17, 11:44 AM)Limestoner Wrote: He had one of the best seasons in MLB history by a left handed hitter, and lost in voting that year to a car...

haha
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-17, 11:09 AM)zapzac Wrote: Lost a lot of respect for Votto and his accomplishments AS A CANADIAN.

Apparently he IS full fledged AMERICAN now!

Apology or not.

How many members of the Canadian Junior Baseball Team can you name? Do you know how the Canadian Olympic Baseball Team did at the last Olympics? Can you even name 6 current Canadian MLB players?

I mean, since you are apparently so enraged by Votto saying he doesnt care about Canadian Baseball I just assume you must be totally invested in it. Other wise you would look like a complete hypocrite. And that would be crazy.
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-17, 11:44 AM)Limestoner Wrote: He had one of the best seasons in MLB history by a left handed hitter, and lost in voting that year to a car...

Good line but one of my pet peeves is how little attention Villeneuve gets in Canada for winning the F1 championship.  That is a HUGE deal around the world. Much bigger than baseball.  The voters got that one absolutely right IMHO.
Thanks given by: thebest41587
Is Votto the best Canadian player of all time? Is he better than Morneau at his prime? (Asking cuz Morneau was my favorite player when I used to follow baseball)
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Votto and walker as best hitters and Fergie Jenkins as best pitcher.

Morneau had some good seasons but didn't sustain all that long
Thanks given by: