Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regular Season thread
(2018-09-30, 04:50 PM)dmc23 Wrote: Looking like there’ll be 2 games tomorrow.

1st time in MLB history there will be TWO tiebreakers played.

Brewers @ Cubs for the NL Central
Rockies @ Dodgers for the NL West

Winners will advance to play in the NLDS, losers will then play in Tuesday's NL Wildcard game.
Thanks given by: Chris D
Crazy...

Dodgers win 15-0
Colorado wins 12-0
Milwaukee wins 11-0
Cubs win 10-5

Indeed 2 tiebreak games.

Screws with everyone's starting pitching plan.

Go with ace for tiebreak? You lose, have to go with number 2 in the WC game...win that, and may have to start your #3 in game one of the division series.
Thanks given by: ckendall
(2018-09-30, 06:30 PM)Chris D Wrote: Crazy...

Dodgers win 15-0
Colorado wins 12-0
Milwaukee wins 11-0
Cubs win 10-5

Indeed 2 tiebreak games.

Screws with everyone's starting pitching plan.  

Go with ace for tiebreak?  You lose, have to go with number 2 in the WC game...win that, and may have to start your #3 in game one of the division series.

All 4 games ended in blowouts & the teams that all needed to win won handily.

That's how you get it done. Happy Wink

Yes, you're right, due to the condensed scheduling each team has to do some quick thinking as to how their going to manage these next couple of games going forward. For 2 teams, they're guaranteed at least 2 more games. Going to be quite interesting to see how it unfolds these next couple of days at least....
Thanks given by:
Khris Davis finishes with a .247 batting average for the 4th straight year! The statistical improbability of that is something else.
Mookie Betts and Mike Trout both played less than 140 games but had a bWAR over 10(Betts did it in fWAR as well, but Trout fell just shy at 9.8). That’s pretty amazing to me. Give each another 15 games and they may have been over 11!

I still have Trout as the #1 best player in baseball, but I think this year Betts emphatically put his claim on #2 spot.
Thanks given by:
Go Brewers.
(2018-09-30, 08:44 PM)dmc23 Wrote: Mookie Betts and Mike Trout both played less than 140 games but had a bWAR over 10(Betts did it in fWAR as well, but Trout fell just shy at 9.8). That’s pretty amazing to me. Give each another 15 games and they may have been over 11!

I still have Trout as the #1 best player in baseball, but I think this year Betts emphatically put his claim on #2 spot.

I briefly looked to see when last time 2 guys finished with 10 wins in one season. Only one jumped out and it was 1927 when Ruth and DiMaggio did it. Which is crazy because they were of course teammates and were both over 11 IIRC.

Edit: Rogers Hornsby was at 10.4 fWAR that year too. Crazy.
Thanks given by:
Just saw on mlb.com that Yelich could achieve the triple crown thanks to game 163. He’s 1 HR and 2 RBI short currently. Doesn’t hold the cache it use to thanks to advance stats, but it would be funny if he managed to get it thanks to the extra game.
Thanks given by:
Kris Davis finished with a .247 avg for 4th straight year. Would love to see the odds on that haha
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-30, 09:18 PM)dmc23 Wrote: Just saw on mlb.com that Yelich could achieve the triple crown thanks to game 163. He’s 1 HR and 2 RBI short currently. Doesn’t hold the cache it use to thanks to advance stats, but it would be funny if he managed to get it thanks to the extra game.

Makes it more interesting that the guys he's chasing are playing too.
Thanks given by:
The Twins have fired Paul Molitor.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-02, 12:18 PM)Unreal Wrote: The Twins have fired Paul Molitor.

Interesting.
Thanks given by:
No surprise here.  Buck Showalter got fired.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-03, 02:18 PM)25YearRebuild Wrote: No surprise here.  Buck Showalter got fired.

115 losses & finishing 61 games back of the division lead....nobody would blame Buck if he decided he'd had enough in Baltimore.
Thanks given by:
Thanks given by:
I'll put this in the regular season thread since the Angels keep wasting Trout.

Trout has played 1065 games. Through 1065 games he has:

More hits than Cal Ripken Jr.
More home runs than Barry Bonds
More runs scored than Ty Cobb
More total bases than Ken Griffey Jr.
Thanks given by:
Gold Glove winners

AL

C - Salvador Perez (5th win)
1B - Matt Olson (1st)
2B - Ian Kinsler (2nd)
SS - Andrelton Simmons (4th)
3B - Matt Chapman (1st)
LF - Alex Gordon (6th)
CF - Jackie Bradley Jr. (1st)
RF - Mookie Betts (3rd)
P - Dallas Keuchel (4th)

NL

C - Yadier Molina (9th)
1B - Anthony Rizzo/Freddie Freeman (tied, only 4th tie in history, Rizzo's 2nd win, Freeman's 1st)
2B - DJ LeMahieu (3rd)
SS - Nick Ahmed (1st)
3B - Nolan Arenado (6th)
LF - Corey Dickerson (1st)
CF - Ender Inciarte (3rd)
RF - Nick Markakis (3rd)
P - Zack Greinke (5th)

Markakis (34) is the oldest OF'er to win since Ichiro won in 2010 at age 37 and NL OF'er to win since Jim Edmonds did at age 35 in 2005.
Thanks given by:
I'd love to see a Gold Glove list that factored for playing time but ignored offensive production. Although it is remarkable how many of the elite defenders are also really, really good hitters.

Nice to see Ahmed sneak through with his first GG though. He's one of those guys who flies under the radar because of a weak bat but is a wizard at short.
Thanks given by: