Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ristolainen or The Dog Days of Summer
The threads that only exist in the dog days of summer. 

Buffalo D-man Rasmus Ristolainen has, according to the various silly rumor sites, asked for a trade. 

I've made no secret that I've like the player, and regret picking Nurse over him. An offensively minded RHD, though prone to defensive lapses. The fancy stats guys hate him, but increasingly, I'm losing interest in fancy stats, so I don't care. 

Is Risto the kind of guy that it makes sense for the Oilers to trade for? He's an RFA, so presumably he'd need to be signed to a big money deal, but he's young enough that he could be a contributor for a long time. 

And:

Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Risto

Actually looks like a pretty solid top 4, for the handful of games Princess Kleffy Poo will be healthy. 

Maybe Russel + Bouchard + pick for Risto, or some such? There'd have to be juggling to make salaries work, but it's an interesting thought.
"Hope is not a strategy"
Thanks given by:
Risto has three seasons remaining on a fairly cheap contract, I think he'd be a great acquisition for sure, even if we didn't resign him at the end of it.  Three years from now, we should be graduating a couple of our bluechip defensive prospects.
Not sure I would give up Bouchard, though.
Thanks given by: Superlube11
He doesn't have Pool Party's agent, does he?
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-13, 10:24 AM)Fritz Wrote: Risto has three seasons remaining on a fairly cheap contract, I think he'd be a great acquisition for sure, even if we didn't resign him at the end of it.  Three years from now, we should be graduating a couple of our bluechip defensive prospects.
Not sure I would give up Bouchard, though.

Whoops, you're right. I said he was an RFA - my bad. 

Thanks for the correction. 

That makes him even more compelling. I'd move Bouchard, a potential high end RHD, for an established high end RHD in a second. Bouchard isn't going to contribute during the next few years - he'll support the Lafrenier cluster, but he won't support the McDavid cluster. And I'm not willing to give up on the McDavid window yet. 

Plus Broberg might make Bouchard surplus anyhow. The goal of stockpiling RHD prospects is to make some tradeable.
"Hope is not a strategy"
Thanks given by:
Broberg is a lefty, we have a lot of those stockpiled.  Bouchard is a great prospect, I really would be reluctant to trade him now. A future Broberg/Bouchard pairing could be worth waiting for.
Thanks given by:
Can't deny Risto's ability to provide offence and move the puck.

On the other hand, he's been one of the worst defensive players in the league.

He was rushed to the NHL and given huge minutes so early.

I wonder how he would do with 2nd pairing minutes - perhaps he wouldn't be so exposed defensively without having to play top minutes?

Nurse/Larsson
Klefbom/Risto
Jones (Lagesson)/Benning (Persson)

I've been all about the Nurse/Larsson and Klefbom/Benning pairings but, with Risto, I think I'd go back to Klef/Larsson

Klef/Larsson
Nurse/Risto
Jones (Lagesson)/Benning (Persson)

Don't know how they fit in $5.4M for three years though - don't see them wanting Russell back and we can't do this without moving Russ.
Thanks given by:
The following aren't really "fancy stats" - they are goals scored for and against while on the ice:

Looking at the numbers over the last three years and, not only does Risto have a higher GA/60, he also has a lower GF/60 than Larsson - that's kind of interesting, maybe a McDavid effect on GF.

Although Risto's top forwards were: Reinhart, Eichel, Okposo and O'Riley.

Risto's GF% over the last three years is around 42% - that's really really bad.

----------------------------------------------

I'd acquire Risto if a reasonable trade can be worked out that also works with the cap but the premise, for me, would be general 2nd pairing 5 on 5 minute because, when Risto plays top minutes (as he has his entire career essentially), more goals are scored against than for.
Thanks given by:
Well, if they take Russell, I think that gets us closer with the cap, but we'd definitely have to add Bouchard to make it happen.  Risto would be great, but damn, I really like Bouchard as a prospect, there is just a natural comfort and calmness to his game that I think will translate to the NHL very well.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-13, 10:20 AM)HockeyHippy Wrote: Maybe Russel + Bouchard + pick for Risto, or some such? There'd have to be juggling to make salaries work, but it's an interesting thought.

Whoa, I would in no way have Bouchard on the table for one of the worst defensive d-men in the league.

Over the last three years, at 5 on 5:

Nurse: 208GP - 60 points (0.95 P/60)

Risto: 230GP - 51 points (0.71 P/60)

And Risto is worse defensively.
Thanks given by: Superlube11 , Superlube11
I've recently talked to a few "insiders" from the broadcast side and in separate convos, they've agreed that the "advanced stats" the common joe is spitting out, is nothing short of a joke. Especially compared to what teams actually use. It goes beyond being dumbed down enough so mouth-breathing fans can cite Corsi and fenwick and GA/60 to "prove" their points.

Anyway, I'd be open to including Klef or Nurse in a trade for Risto. Sure he has his flaws, but so do they. At least he'll play a full season and generate some offence at a more reasonable cap hit. Sometimes a team just needs a Housley-type to get the puck to it's McDavid.
Thanks given by:
I would do Klefbom for sure, but not sure about Nurse.  Nurse looks to me like he's become as good a player as Risto, but with more toughness in his game.
Thanks given by:
If Nurse exploits one more year of Klefbom's absence, his contract is going to be obscene.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-13, 11:12 AM)ZappaScores Wrote: I've recently talked to a few "insiders" from the broadcast side and in separate convos, they've agreed that the "advanced stats" the common joe is spitting out, is nothing short of a joke. Especially compared to what teams actually use. It goes beyond being dumbed down enough so mouth-breathing fans can cite Corsi and fenwick and GA/60 to "prove" their points.

Anyway, I'd be open to including Klef or Nurse in a trade for Risto. Sure he has his flaws, but so do they. At least he'll play a full season and generate some offence at a more reasonable cap hit. Sometimes a team just needs a Housley-type to get the puck to it's McDavid.

That's my feel - a puck moving RHD, to complement Nurse or Kleffy, really changes the complexion of the Oilers attack. Imagine a D-man who could catch McDavid with a pass through the neutral zone, as opposed to poor Russel or Larsson, who pretty well have to physically hand it over to McDavid. 

I know we'd get our knickers in a twist trading Bouchard, but to me, Risto is what we hope Bouchard turns into. But Risto could help McDavid now, while Bouchard is three years out. Sometimes you gotta give to get.
"Hope is not a strategy"
Thanks given by:
HH raises an interesting point: we need to win in the next three years, or by the time Broberg and Bouchard are a legitimate pairing, McDavid might have demanded a trade already.

Holland has to be looking into this, though.  Bouchard would probably put us up there with the leading contenders for a Risto trade, he's a great prospect.
Thanks given by:
Not sure these are "mouth-breather" stats. Seems pretty self-evident:

Thanks given by:
Bouchard could very well be better than Risto who puts up average points at 5 on 5 and leaks goals against.

Nurse produces more at 5 on 5 - both by straight points and by production rates. Nurse is better defensively.

Not to mention Bouchard is going to be a hell of a lot cheaper that Risto over the next number of years.
Thanks given by:
If we can sign Nurse that would be great, but as Zappa says, he's due for a new contract next year, and it could be ludicrously expensive.  We might have to trade him anyway.

My main concern is that we do not have a lot of years to wait, either. How far away is Bouchard from being as effective an NHL'er as Risto?
Thanks given by:
Plus/Minus is the least fancy stat of all, and Risto is 26th worst out of all NHL players since they started tracking it in 67/68. It's like he was destined to be an Oiler.
Thanks given by:
Yup, we may have to trade Nurse as some point - maybe even next year.

Doesn't mean that I'd trade him for Risto given Nurse is better offensively and defensively at 5 on 5.

Risto is better on the PP but there are PP d-men coming in the system.

If Nurse is being traded, I would posit it should be for a forward and it should only happen once (if) one (or more) of the up and coming prospects not only prove NHL readiness but top 4 ready. Maybe be next off-season, may be a season after.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-13, 11:02 AM)Pouzar Wrote:
(2019-08-13, 10:20 AM)HockeyHippy Wrote: Maybe Russel + Bouchard + pick for Risto, or some such? There'd have to be juggling to make salaries work, but it's an interesting thought.

Whoa, I would in no way have Bouchard on the table for one of the worst defensive d-men in the league.

(2019-08-13, 11:48 AM)Pouzar Wrote: Not sure these are "mouth-breather" stats.   Seems pretty self-evident:

What's the over/under on how many times this bit of irrelevancy is repeated in the thread?

I'll say an average of twice per page, but I'll also take the over.
"Hope is not a strategy"
Thanks given by: