Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rogers evaluating possible sale of the Jays
Rogers CFO says company evaluating possible sale of Blue Jays

by Simon Sharkey-Gotlieb 17m ago
[Image: cropped_REU_2318820.jpg?ts=1512532188]
Nick Turchiaro / USA TODAY Sports

The owners of Canada's lone Major League Baseball team might be considering cashing out.

According to Natalie Wong of Bloomberg, Rogers Communications chief financial officer Tony Staffieri said during a conference in New York this week that the Canadian company is evaluating a possible sale of various assets - including the Toronto Blue Jays.

Staffieri said a potential sale could allow Rogers to gain more value from its portfolio of assets, while also allowing the company to pursue other investment opportunities, according to Wong. Staffieri added that a potential sale of the Blue Jays is not close.

Rogers Communications bought the Blue Jays from Belgian brewing conglomerate Interbrew SA for $165 million in September 2000, under the direction of the corporation's then-president Ted Rogers. Forbes valued the Blue Jays at $1.3 billion this past April, placing them as the 16th-most valuable franchise in MLB.

Despite finishing 10 games below .500 in 2017, the Blue Jays drew an American League-leading 3,203,886 fans to Rogers Centre.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/143994...-blue-jays
Thanks given by:
(2017-12-05, 11:24 PM)Gus Wrote: Rogers CFO says company evaluating possible sale of Blue Jays

by Simon Sharkey-Gotlieb 17m ago
[Image: cropped_REU_2318820.jpg?ts=1512532188]
Nick Turchiaro / USA TODAY Sports

The owners of Canada's lone Major League Baseball team might be considering cashing out.

According to Natalie Wong of Bloomberg, Rogers Communications chief financial officer Tony Staffieri said during a conference in New York this week that the Canadian company is evaluating a possible sale of various assets - including the Toronto Blue Jays.

Staffieri said a potential sale could allow Rogers to gain more value from its portfolio of assets, while also allowing the company to pursue other investment opportunities, according to Wong. Staffieri added that a potential sale of the Blue Jays is not close.

Rogers Communications bought the Blue Jays from Belgian brewing conglomerate Interbrew SA for $165 million in September 2000, under the direction of the corporation's then-president Ted Rogers. Forbes valued the Blue Jays at $1.3 billion this past April, placing them as the 16th-most valuable franchise in MLB.

Despite finishing 10 games below .500 in 2017, the Blue Jays drew an American League-leading 3,203,886 fans to Rogers Centre.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/143994...-blue-jays

Bye Rogers....Hello MLSE
Thanks given by: ckendall , Doppelganger , Doppelganger
Rogers owns a 37.5% share in MLSE - would be kind of odd if they bought it, especially since I doubt they want Bell owning shares in the team.

I would've expected Rogers to make a play for all of MLSE at some point, not divest themselves of the Jays.
Thanks given by:
I'd kind of prefer Rogers to keep on owning the team.
Not like they have really cheaped out yet?
Thanks given by:
Sigh.

Every top guy since Ted passed, have become more of a bean counter than the last...simply looking at the bottom line and where they can make a quick buck...making cuts all over the place, laying off workers, and now seemingly selling things that actually make money just because it has enough value that they get a fast money injection. Of course,it then means they don't make any more money from that product. An avenue for free cross promotion gets nixed. They no longer own a team that airs on their channel.

And most importantly....I won't get a 50% discount on tickets!!!
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
If they they did sell, IF, it would be, lol, nice to see Bell buy them and move them to Montreal, as per a tweet to CBC this morning.

but seriously I hope they keep them. There could be worse owners and on a scale of 1-10 I give them an 8.5 in the running of the team!
No Place to Run, No Place to Hide!!
Thanks given by: LordFerg13
The Jays expenses are most likely a drop in the bucket for Rogers but I have to think its difficult as a legitimate business to justify the money spent on the team as sports is very often the antithesis of business.
Thanks given by:
The sale prices of teams have skyrocketed in recent years, I imagine that may have something to do with this as well. Capitalize before the market stabilizes, if it hasn't already.

Who would some potential buyers be? I'm having a hard time thinking of any obvious ones.
Thanks given by:
Sale prices have sky rocketed but you also have to factor in that Rogers uses the Jays as essentially free content for every single platform they have (Radio, TV, Internet, mobile, print). Based on other regional TV contracts that content is worth hundreds of millions, maybe billions, of dollars.

Its also why it would be strange for Rogers to sell them. They benefit from owning the Jays more than any other person/business in Canada.
Thanks given by: thebest41587
I think they see the attendance at a high and know that there is a possibility the interest goes down with the lack of a competitive team. There will never be a time when the team is more valuable
Thanks given by:
If they sell Just don't put games on TSN. PLEASE!!!

5 channels and we get fukking curling on all 5 while champions league games are being played. They really Suck at this multiple channel thing.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
(2017-12-06, 08:29 PM)Andrew Wrote: Sale prices have sky rocketed but you also have to factor in that Rogers uses the Jays as essentially free content for every single platform they have (Radio, TV, Internet, mobile, print). Based on other regional TV contracts that content is worth hundreds of millions, maybe billions, of dollars.

Its also why it would be strange for Rogers to sell them. They benefit from owning the Jays more than any other person/business in Canada.

Their rationale is that they can still retain the content while not owning the team - still not sure I see the logic in that, as it would seem they'd make a lot more owning the team outright.

As far as TV content is concerned, live sports are probably the most lucrative stream available right now.
Thanks given by: