Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Round 2: Raptors VS Cavaliers Series Thread
I know we were using the other thread for Game 1, but figured this would make more sense.

They gave the game away to Cleveland.  Unacceptable.  The Lowry/DeRozan ISO nonsense towards the end of the 4th and OT did them in, as usual.

VanVleet really needed to be out there.  I trust the 2nd unit more when it comes to closing out games.
Thanks given by:
VanVleet missed some HUGE shots. He had his opportunity to be a difference maker, and didn't do it.
Thanks given by:
He did, but he wasn't out to often at the end...and he's coming back from a separated shoulder.

The entire team gave up some very easy chances. Even if they didn't suck at the FT line, that would've made the difference.

I feel like they needed to win these two home games to have a good chance. If they win the next game, I could still see them returning to Toronto down 3-1.
Thanks given by:
Lol LeBron just now called this game one of his worst games of the season. And he's right. He wasn't very good tonight - only shot 12/30 from the floor.

Thanks given by:
Yeah, he wasn't very good. What happens when he's on point?
Thanks given by:
Oh the Raps have dug themselves a hole now. JV's misses pisses me off hugely. If he doesn't have like a 13-21 game next game, he's not feeling any heat.
Thanks given by:
His misses were bad, but I think someone like Ibaka is more of a culprit. He simply has to be better.
Thanks given by:
It was a tough loss, that's for sure.

JV missed 6 consecutive from within 2 feet - they were all contested in close but still.

They've got to be better at the line.
Thanks given by:
I'm not a Raptors fan, but they are an incredibly frustrating team to watch down the stretch in a close game. Time after time it's the exact same thing, where they just put away the clipboards and they just play very simple iso ball. I don't know if it's a Dwayne Casey problem, but their go-to play is always just "give the ball to Derozan and get out of his way". That hasn't worked for years, yet they continue to try it, and they continue to fail in important moments like last night.

Toronto is still capable of beating Cleveland, but it's like they freeze up when they see the Cavs uniforms on the other side of the court. Indiana played Cleveland with no fear, and were 4 points away from beating them. I think Toronto can still win this series, but what we saw last night in the 4th quarter would lead me to believe Toronto is closer to getting swept then they are beating Cleveland.
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-02, 08:36 AM)encore Wrote: I'm not a Raptors fan, but they are an incredibly frustrating team to watch down the stretch in a close game. Time after time it's the exact same thing, where they just put away the clipboards and they just play very simple iso ball. I don't know if it's a Dwayne Casey problem, but their go-to play is always just "give the ball to Derozan and get out of his way". That hasn't worked for years, yet they continue to try it, and they continue to fail in important moments like last night.

Toronto is still capable of beating Cleveland, but it's like they freeze up when they see the Cavs uniforms on the other side of the court. Indiana played Cleveland with no fear, and were 4 points away from beating them. I think Toronto can still win this series, but what we saw last night in the 4th quarter would lead me to believe Toronto is closer to getting swept then they are beating Cleveland.

I'd say that's an accurate assessment.

It's always the same.  Lowry or DeRozan burn about 10 seconds off the shot clock just walking down the floor.  They may pass to each other a few times but are essentially stagnant.  Often DeRozan just runs in to a corner, gets double/triple teamed and loses the ball or goes against 2-3 defenders and tries to score.  It very often doesn't work.  Is it an ego thing?  I like Lowry and Derzoan, but they are not James calibre superstars.

That's why it's better to have someone like VanVleet running the floor.  Even if he isn't shooting well, at least the ball will move.  I have no idea why they move so far away from what makes them successful once they reach the end of the game.

They can still win this series, but the next game is a must-win. They then have to win at least one on the road, which seems like an unreasonable request given how much difficulty they have winning in Cleveland.
Thanks given by:
The game changed last night when the Cavs put LeBron on Lowry in the 4th. Its like Lowry did not know what to do. He was awful.

Thanks given by:
LeBron had lots of secondary scoring help last night with Smith korver and Thompson. Not sure if that will keep up rest of series. If not, raps still got good chance to pull it out.
Thanks given by:
Any Game 1 loss at home is bad. But the Way they lost! I don't know if they can recover, psychologically.
---
Give Marc Bergevin some credit.
(He'll pay you back with -10% interest.)
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-02, 10:54 AM)FormalWare Wrote: Any Game 1 loss at home is bad. But the Way they lost! I don't know if they can recover, psychologically.

I guess another test - great teams are able to bounce back from losses like these.
Thanks given by:
I'm pissed, but I'm not exactly worried yet either. Raps proved they can play the Cavs tough in Cleveland, lost 2 close ones there during the season.

I don't think the Raps winning one in Cleveland is out of the realm of possibility at all.

They really need to knock down 3's at a higher rate, they had a lot of good looks and missed down the stretch. 9 of 28 will not get it done this series.
Thanks given by:
Love has retroactively been given a Flagrant 1 for his elbow on DeRozan. Such bullshit it wasn't reviewed at the time it happened. Raptors were up 2 with 1:11 left to play when that happened. If they make those free throws they should've gotten, that changes things.
Thanks given by:
Big game tonight - need this one.

Reminder: it’s an early game - 4pm (mountain).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-02, 11:13 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: Love has retroactively been given a Flagrant 1 for his elbow on DeRozan. Such bullshit it wasn't reviewed at the time it happened. Raptors were up 2 with 1:11 left to play when that happened. If they make those free throws they should've gotten, that changes things.

Definitely ridiculous.

A potential 4 point lead and possession.  Completely transforms the situation.
Thanks given by:
This series is OVER!

King James is IN the Raptors head and even without him being his usual self they lost.

No way Raptors win 4 of 6 against LeBron.
Thanks given by:
Even though multiple sources/posters have told me that the series is over, I'm still very much looking forward to game 2 tonight and game 3 on Saturday evening.

Go Raptors.
Thanks given by: