Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Round 2: Raptors VS Cavaliers Series Thread
(2018-05-03, 07:52 PM)encore Wrote: Realistically, this was Toronto's season to make some damage in the playoffs.

- The worst Cavs/Heat (with LeBron) roster in years
- A million injuries to Boston
- Philadelphia not yet reaching their potential

Next season, you gotta imagine Boston will be healthy and Philly will be improved. Who knows what Lebron is doing. I'm not counting Toronto out, but if they can't get it done in a year where everything is seemingly going their way, I don't see them overcoming any adversity to do it with this group.

One thing I will give the Raptors credit for is developing a nice collection of young talent, without any really high picks (Poeltl at #9 is probably the exception).  Generally speaking, I expect improvement from that group.

Unfortunately, it's not their young crop of players that are the problem.  They need more from Lowry, DeRozan and Ibaka (who has been a complete no-show). 

They seem to need a big shakeup, one that lands them an elite calibre player.  Perhaps a coaching change may be in the cards too.

From a management perspective, the Raps being competitive but not good enough to win it all isn't such a bad thing.  They'll continue to put fans in the seats.  They'll probably ride out Lowry and Ibaka's contracts and then go from there.

Unless one of the young players they have develops into a true star, they're kind of stuck.
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-03, 07:45 PM)Canuxxx Wrote: Has a number 1 seed ever been swept out of the playoffs ever? because this has sweep written all over it.

The Cavs did it to the No. 1 seeded Atlanta Hawks a couple years ago in the Eastern Conference Final.
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-03, 10:51 AM)Chris D Wrote: series is over, after first game OT loss...

okay.

How about now?
Thanks given by: FormalWare , ckendall , ckendall
(2018-05-03, 08:13 PM)Unreal Wrote:
(2018-05-03, 07:52 PM)encore Wrote: Realistically, this was Toronto's season to make some damage in the playoffs.

- The worst Cavs/Heat (with LeBron) roster in years
- A million injuries to Boston
- Philadelphia not yet reaching their potential

Next season, you gotta imagine Boston will be healthy and Philly will be improved. Who knows what Lebron is doing. I'm not counting Toronto out, but if they can't get it done in a year where everything is seemingly going their way, I don't see them overcoming any adversity to do it with this group.

One thing I will give the Raptors credit for is developing a nice collection of young talent, without any really high picks (Poeltl at #9 is probably the exception).  Generally speaking, I expect improvement from that group.

Unfortunately, it's not their young crop of players that are the problem.  They need more from Lowry, DeRozan and Ibaka (who has been a complete no-show). 

They seem to need a big shakeup, one that lands them an elite calibre player.  Perhaps a coaching change may be in the cards too.

From a management perspective, the Raps being competitive but not good enough to win it all isn't such a bad thing.  They'll continue to put fans in the seats.  They'll probably ride out Lowry and Ibaka's contracts and then go from there.

Unless one of the young players they have develops into a true star, they're kind of stuck.

I still hope Wright can evolve into the perfect off the bench PGs, I reckon he'll be a late bloomer like Lowry was.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-03, 08:37 PM)zapzac Wrote:
(2018-05-03, 10:51 AM)Chris D Wrote: series is over, after first game OT loss...

okay.

How about now?

so....

being the eternal optimist

Raps in 7?

Happy

win 4 of 5...with 3 games in cleveland...quite the mountain to climb.

this talk about "being competitive, but not good enough to win" though, is hogwash.  even if they lose out here, they are good enough to win, they just....didn't.  They had an amazing regular season, that just didn't translate to playoff success.  They ARE better than the Cavs, even if not showing it at this moment.  They are the best in the East.

nature of sports.  the best don't always win.  Cavs winning this series, is an upset.
Thanks given by:
The best team in the East is the one that makes it to the Finals.

Finishing 1st in the regular season is great, but doesn't mean much if you bow out in the 2nd round.
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-04, 01:35 AM)Chris D Wrote:
(2018-05-03, 08:37 PM)zapzac Wrote:

okay.

How about now?

so....

being the eternal optimist

Raps in 7?

Happy

win 4 of 5...with 3 games in cleveland...quite the mountain to climb.

this talk about "being competitive, but not good enough to win" though, is hogwash.  even if they lose out here, they are good enough to win, they just....didn't.  They had an amazing regular season, that just didn't translate to playoff success.  They ARE better than the Cavs, even if not showing it at this moment.  They are the best in the East.

nature of sports.  the best don't always win.  Cavs winning this series, is an upset.

Confused

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever lol.

The Raptors are about to get swept by thw Cavs but somehow they are better than the Cavs? why? because they finished 1st in the Conference?

The Rockets finished 1st in the Western Conference. Are they better than the Warriors?

Thanks given by:
Demar and Lowry routinely come up small when you can feel the tide turning against them. They do not come up with the big basket or series of possessions that can end the surging momentum of their opponent. They do not have the personality or skill to stand up and say "ENOUGH"

That's why they are stars, not superstars. Great playears, but not elite ones.
Thanks given by:
Looking forward to the game tonight and a big win to get back in the series.
Thanks given by:
Raps with a great fourth Q to get back in the game. Got to within 2 with 3 to go.
Thanks given by:
How do you defend that fadeaway? Can you?
Thanks given by:
Wtf how was that a foul??
Thanks given by:
Green better miss this
Thanks given by:
TIED UP, PLEASE GO TO OT
Thanks given by:
Anuoby with a 3-ball with 8 seconds left to tie it up.
Thanks given by:
Sad
Thanks given by:
James wins it at the buzzer - shocker.
Thanks given by:
LeBron James

Thanks given by:
DeRozan suggested the team thrives on adversity, but he was horrible.

Anunoby was terrific, as was VanVleet - starting him was a wise move. Ibaka was better, at the very least.

Unfortunately, too little too late. They were fairly good defensively - if Derozan is even decent they win this game.

Yet again, too little too late.

Hopefully they can extend this series and bring it home with a win on the road. At this point, the pressure's off.
Thanks given by:
This series is so predictable. The Raptors are overrated - probably the worst #1 seed in NBA history. I posted a stat about a month ago how they're only 2 games over .500 against plus .500 teams and 34-2 or something like that against sub .500 teams. That's always not a good sign. They just basically beat up on bad teams.

Cleveland's record against plus .500 in the reg season wasn't that good either. But they have LeBron James. He can win a series all by himself. He's that good. And he has singlehandedly destroyed the Raptors in this series lol.

Thanks given by: