Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roy Halladays plane crashes into Gulf of Mexico
(2019-01-23, 10:42 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: Why does anybody on here think they are relevant? Weird statement.

He said he's inclined to listen to Roy, and not the family. Not sure what's confusing.

Its confusing because why the **** shouldnt we listen to his family? This isnt a topic that requires anyone elses opinion. Its not "who is a better player" or "should he go in the hall of fame." His family, the people who knew him best and loved him made this decision because they think its what he would have wanted.  Someone else who literally did not know him at all coming along and saying "I think he wanted to go in as a Jay" is irrelevant if not outright disrespectful. Its basically saying "nah, youre wrong. You didnt know your dead husband/father as well as I do".

What we "think" doesnt matter and is based on nothing. Respect his families decision and show a little tact.
Thanks given by: Canuxxx
It's not what I "think". And it's not based on nothing. Its what he said and did.

He said he wanted to go in the Hall as a Blue Jay...with no ambiguity. He signed his one day contract to retire as a Blue Jay, and made it clear that is what he wanted.
Thanks given by:
So you believe his family, the people who loved him and knew him better than anyone on earth, knew he wanted to go in as a Jay but for no discernable reason at all are deliberately ignoring and disrespecting his wishes.

Yeah, that's a cool take to have.

Use your head for a second. If it was that cut and dry. That he absolutely, unequivocally, wanted to go in as a Jay, wouldn't they had just had him go in as a Jay? The fact that they didnt should maybe be a clue that its not the full story and that maybe, just maybe, his private feelings were more nuanced than his public statements (because god knows an athlete has never done that before Icon_rolleyes )

Again;

Quote:I'm inclined to believe his family knew him better than random people on the internet.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-25, 12:39 AM)Andrew Wrote: So you believe his family, the people who loved him and knew him better than anyone on earth, knew he wanted to go in as a Jay but for no discernable reason at all are deliberately ignoring and disrespecting his wishes.

Use your head for a second. If it was that cut and dry. That he absolutely, unequivocally, wanted to go in as a Jay, wouldn't they had just had him go in as a Jay? The fact that they didnt should maybe be a clue that its not the full story and that maybe, just maybe, his private feelings were more nuanced than his public statements (because god knows an athlete has never done that before Icon_rolleyes )

Again;

Quote:I'm inclined to believe his family knew him better than random people on the internet.

There's a lot of posturing going on here based on zero facts, and entirely on presumptions. Which you argue against all the damn time when it comes to baseball. The about face is disappointing and inconsistent. 

He said he wanted to retire a Jay. He went out of his way to retire as a Jay. In his Canadian Hall of Fame Speech, he called Canada his 2nd home. 

Roy did everything he could to make it known, he wanted to be a Jay. 

People are disappointed and rightfully so. He can't do much more other than write it in his damn will.
Thanks given by:
While I'm not sure I can see what the point would be in this case, before personally attacking others for their thoughts and opinions (based off of concrete evidence, statements and actions). rolling their eyes and generally acting in a condescending manner, maybe one realize that the its not uncommon for the surviving family of dead celebrities to act in selfish manners that don't seem to line up with the wishes of the deceased.
Thanks given by: Sportking , Sportking
(2019-01-25, 04:25 AM)Pouzar Wrote: While I'm not sure I can see what the point would be in this case, before personally attacking others for their thoughts and opinions (based off of concrete evidence, statements and actions). rolling their eyes and generally acting in a condescending manner, maybe one realize that the its not uncommon for the surviving family of dead celebrities to act in selfish manners that don't seem to line up with the wishes of the deceased.

Not even just celebs. Lots of people dont honor wishes from their deceased family members. That's why a will and a good lawyer is important.  Not saying that's what happened here but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
Thanks given by:
Not only do family members act selfishly after a loved one’s death, the same can’t be said about sport’s fans. A more honest, unbiased lot you will not find.

I can’t understand what the big deal is. It’s his family’s wishes. They’re the ones who are alive and dealing with this. It’s them, not the city of Toronto, that’s had to deal with the fallout from his death. Even in the odd chance this is not what Halladay wanted, who cares? He’s not around, they are. If it helps them, than that’s what matters most.

Also, in the age of self-branding and ludicrous sponsorship deals, I hope you guys maintain a little skepticism with what images we are presented. Nothing against Doc, but if fans think they know him based on what they see on tv and social media, they would be mistaken. To say you know what he wanted is a bit arrogant.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-25, 04:25 AM)Pouzar Wrote: While I'm not sure I can see what the point would be in this case, before personally attacking others for their thoughts and opinions (based off of concrete evidence, statements and actions). rolling their eyes and generally acting in a condescending manner, maybe one realize that the its not uncommon for the surviving family of dead celebrities to act in selfish manners that don't seem to line up with the wishes of the deceased.

And what exactly are you basing that on?  Have you read studies on the reactions of every dead celebrities family members? Have you been doing case studies yourself? Do you have a spreadsheet you have been tracking? lol.

There is no way that is even a remotely verifiable statement let alone accurate. Jesus, talk about just pulling something completely out of your ass. And you wonder why I roll my eyes.
Thanks given by:
What an odd reply......
Thanks given by:

Are you trying to tell me Ted Williams didn't want to be decapitated and have his head frozen? Icon_eek Laugh
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-25, 12:39 AM)Andrew Wrote: So you believe his family, the people who loved him and knew him better than anyone on earth, knew he wanted to go in as a Jay but for no discernable reason at all are deliberately ignoring and disrespecting his wishes.

Again;

Talk about pulling something from their ass... you have documented evidence on record from the man himself. Not once, but several times. How is it unreasonable to assume these were his wishes..??

It isn’t . Nobody (here) knows the reason the wife has taken the stance that they have, including you.

It certainly doesn’t matter to me, but it does to a lot of people.
Thanks given by: