Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roy Halladays plane crashes into Gulf of Mexico
(2017-11-09, 02:15 AM)Candy_Line_up Wrote:
(2017-11-08, 06:29 PM)Canuxxx Wrote: Disgusting. These assclowns should be fired.

They didn't go about it very respectfully. Idiots. But...

But what?

Thanks given by:
(2017-11-08, 06:29 PM)Canuxxx Wrote: Disgusting. These assclowns should be fired.

Even if you want to criticize him for his choice of pass time or his carelessness or whatever, now is not the time. And it could be done in a more respectful manner. 
These guys are POS's .
In my defense, the moon was full and I was left unsupervised.
(2017-11-08, 06:47 PM)shadylane Wrote: Yeah, just read that on Twitter. Unfortunately it doesn't surprise me at all.

Any time someone complains about the Toronto hockey media being tough on players I have to laugh. There is a totally different level of garbage human beings in journalism south of the border.

Yeah, generally speaking players up here are treated quite well.  It's not even remotely close.

Reports are that Halladay had been 'showboating' for at least a few days.  That of course is no justification for mocking his death in any way, but if true it's unfortunate.
Thanks given by: bluejayyay
The US has some truly loathesome sports talk radio and Boston has some of the worst in the country. I’m not surprised to see what they said, but i’m no less disgusted.
Thanks given by:
I'm having trouble believing that he was showboating...it just wasn't in his DNA to do that. He seemed to enjoy flying just to be up in the air and enjoy the peacefulness and the scenery, as opposed to doing it as an adrenaline rush or for thrillseeking.

I read somewhere that it was suggested that he may have been practicing his approach to the water since the plane was still relatively new to him. That may explain why he kept coming down low and going back up again.

At this point I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and I am going to believe that was what he was doing.
Thanks given by:
(2017-11-09, 09:57 AM)divit Wrote:

Even if you want to criticize him for his choice of pass time or his carelessness or whatever, now is not the time. And it could be done in a more respectful manner. 
These guys are POS's .

Yeah.

I suppose anybody that's ever done anything reckless or dangerous deserves to die. Humanity ought to have gone extinct according to this sociopath.

That family member that's tried parkour? Deserves to die.

That friend that butted heads with some less than reputable folks? Don't let the casket hit ya on the way in, buddy.

Every combat fighter, ever? It's been real, fellas.

Every licensed pilot that got carried away a few times flying their personal plane? Don't get me started on them.

It hasn't even been confirmed that he was showboating and there is no way to ascertain that it wasn't some kind of mechanical or structural issue that led to the plane crashing. Crass 'muh hot taek' culture at its very worst.
Thanks given by: Justaleafan
(2017-11-09, 11:30 AM)Buzz Killington Wrote: I'm having trouble believing that he was showboating...it just wasn't in his DNA to do that. He seemed to enjoy flying just to be up in the air and enjoy the peacefulness and the scenery, as opposed to doing it as an adrenaline rush or for thrillseeking.

I read somewhere that it was suggested that he may have been practicing his approach to the water since the plane was still relatively new to him. That may explain why he kept coming down low and going back up again.

At this point I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and I am going to believe that was what he was doing.

I recall reading a quote from halladay about being able to fly close to the water with his new plane, and how it made him feel like a fighter pilot.
Thanks given by:
I like to skydive. Do i also deserve to die?

Thanks given by: bluejayyay , LordFerg13
(2017-11-09, 04:34 PM)Canuxxx Wrote: I like to skydive. Do i also deserve to die?

Evidently, yeah.

I got into a few scraps as a kid. I guess I never should have made it into my 20's.
Thanks given by: LordFerg13
Funeral details:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/hal...gic-death/

Service will be held at Spectrum, spring training home of the Philies.
Thanks given by:
(2017-11-09, 04:25 PM)bluejayyay Wrote: That friend that butted heads with some less than reputable folks? Don't let the casket hit ya on the way in, bud. 

im 38 with two kids and a wife. If anyone wanted to butt heads with me, with the exception of the safety of my family, I would just walk away. Not because I'm a sissy either. 

If you can figure out why, then you've gotten the point.
Thanks given by:
(2017-11-09, 08:17 PM)Candy_Line_up Wrote:
(2017-11-09, 04:25 PM)bluejayyay Wrote: That friend that butted heads with some less than reputable folks? Don't let the casket hit ya on the way in, bud. 

im 38 with two kids and a wife. If anyone wanted to butt heads with me, with the exception of the safety of my family, I would just walk away. Not because I'm a sissy either. 

You misunderstood me. I'm not saying it's civilized behaviour, nor do I condone it--far from it, grown men shouldn't whale away at each other like gorillas--just an example of scenarios that actually happen, where saying somebody deserves to die over them would be a bridge too far.

(also, in case it's not already clear, my initial diatribe was directed at the radio host that made those comments, not you).
Thanks given by:
(2017-11-09, 08:28 PM)bluejayyay Wrote:

You misunderstood me. I'm not saying it's civilized behaviour, nor do I condone it--just an example of scenarios that actually happen, where saying somebody deserves to die over them is a bridge too far.

So close. Well... It has nothing to do with deserving to die.  

I walk away from the fight because I have 3 people who depend on me, and if I put myself in a situation like a fight, or *playing around in a toy plane dangerously*,guess what? I could die. Again, I don't deserve to, but shit, man, I'm dead. Maybe I should Avoid situations like that because I have 2 kids and a wife who need/want me alive??

*he may not have been, but I will use as an example to get point across.

Btw. I know it sound like I wrap myself in bubble wrap. Lol. But if you wanna fly a plane or skydive then fine, but I will do it properly. I won't decide to pull the rip coord a few hundred feet after I'm supposed to just for a little bit of extra fun. Because that's a situation I need to avoid......
Thanks given by: bluejayyay
(2017-11-09, 08:38 PM)Candy_Line_up Wrote:
(2017-11-09, 08:28 PM)bluejayyay Wrote:

You misunderstood me. I'm not saying it's civilized behaviour, nor do I condone it--just an example of scenarios that actually happen, where saying somebody deserves to die over them is a bridge too far.

So close. Well... It has nothing to do with deserving to die.  

I walk away from the fight because I have 3 people who depend on me, and if I put myself in a situation like a fight, or *playing around in a toy plane dangerously*,guess what? I could die. Again, I don't deserve to, but shit, man, I'm dead. Maybe I should Avoid situations like that because I have 2 kids and a wife who need/want me alive??

*he may not have been, but I will use as an example to get point across.

Btw. I know it sound like I wrap myself in bubble wrap. Lol. But if you wanna fly a plane or skydive then fine, but I will do it properly. I won't decide to pull the rip coord a few hundred feet after I'm supposed to just for a little bit of extra fun. Because that's a situation I need to avoid......

I share your perspective on all that. There is nothing wrong with being responsible or having an aversion to thrill-seeking. Eminently reasonable thinking. Thing is, though, there is pretty much no overlap between what you are saying and what the hosts said, so what is there left to defend? What salient points did the guy make? That Halladay was engaging in unsafe activity? Well, that's not a novel insight..any genius and their mother could tell you that, especially after the mans death. Strip away at that, and what is left? Right: insane rambling about how the man deserved to die, no sympathy extended, mocking him relentlessly, etc. It was an obvious and disgusting ploy for attention/ratings.
Thanks given by:
Nice apology....I meant what I said, I just didn't say it right.
In my defense, the moon was full and I was left unsupervised.
Thanks given by:
(2017-11-08, 03:43 PM)Chris D Wrote: Halladay may have got a 3rd Cy as well, had he not taken a line drive comebacker taking him out and killing his season (2005).

Throw in a couple 2nd places, a 3rd, and two 5ths...8 all star nods...

Can see he was good he was for that stretch of time

3rd? He could have had 4. He dominated Kershaw in WAR in 2011 and finished 2nd. 

And people can't figure out why an Oswalt comparison is stupid. Dumbasses.
Thanks given by:
That was quite the emotional celebration of life they just had for Halladay in Clearwater, FL. Not a dry eye in the house. And his wife Brandy seems like the strongest, most amazing wife one could ask for.

Some nice stories were shared, in particular by former teammates (Chris Carpenter, Cole Hamels and Chase Utley) as well as JP Ricciardi and trainer George Poulis. But it's been a week and it still doesn't feel real. Such a shame he was lost so young.
Thanks given by: ckendall , LordFerg13
(2017-11-14, 06:38 PM)shadylane Wrote: That was quite the emotional celebration of life they just had for Halladay in Clearwater, FL. Not a dry eye in the house. And his wife Brandy seems like the strongest, most amazing wife one could ask for.

Some nice stories were shared, in particular by former teammates (Chris Carpenter, Cole Hamels and Chase Utley) as well as JP Ricciardi and trainer George Poulis. But it's been a week and it still doesn't feel real. Such a shame he was lost so young.

I don't know if it will ever sink in. For us, the fans...or for his wife & two sons. Sad Sad
Thanks given by: