Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saskatchewan hits record debt in 2018
Maybe Brad Wall's surprising retirement announcement makes more sense now? 

https://saskatchewanherald.com/2018/07/0...t-in-2018/

Saskatchewan is expected to hit a record level of debt in 2018, an analysis of the Saskatchewan government’s own budget documents shows.
Since 2007, Saskatchewan’s Provincial debt has steadily increased.  With record government spending, and high deficit carried through Saskatchewan’s boom years, by the end of 2018 – 2019, the Sask Party government will have added over ten billion dollars to the Provincial debt.
New debt in 2018 is expected to bring the total provincial debt over twenty billion dollars in the fiscal year – a historic record high in Saskatchewan.
Government debt has doubled since Brad Wall’s Sask Party took power from the New Democratic Party in 2007.  In 2007 – 2008, the total Provincial debt was just over ten billion dollars, with the NDP government under Finance Minister Pat Atkinson paying down 1.2 billion in debt between 2004 and 2007.
The loans taken by the Provincial government will cost taxpayers over six-hundred million dollars this year in interest and debt charges – a number that has increased due to the Province’s credit rating weakening under Brad Wall.  Major government projects like the Global Transportation Hub/Regina Bypass, the LEAN program, and the failed Carbon Capture Sequestration (CCS) experiment have added billions in new debt.
The Province’s deficit is expected to increase significantly over the next five years under Premier Scott Moe as the government begins paying out P3 contracts to private sector contract owners on Saskatchewan schools, hospitals, and infrastructure.  Reduced tax revenue due to significant out-migration and record numbers of unemployed have also caused significant stress to Saskatchewan government finances, with analysts projecting that there is little likelihood that the Saskatchewan government will meet its targets in reducing the Province’s annual deficit.  An unfunded $3.3 billion health infrastructure deficit was also recently reported in the Saskatchewan Health Authority’s 2018 budget release — and an unfunded $4 billion was reported by the Provincial auditor to clean up abandoned oil wells in the Province — amounts not accounted into the overall Provincial debt.
Thanks given by:
Hitting the "Wall" in more ways than one.
Thanks given by:
Damn leftys!
Thanks given by:
NDP pay down the debt 4 consecutive years and get voted out. And Wall puts them in unchartered territory for debt. Is anyone surprised by this? They shouldn't be.
Thanks given by:
Interesting that many Alberta cranks clamour for conservative governments, and like to hold Brad Wall up as the gold standard.  Commodity crashes hurt, no matter who your government is.
Thanks given by:
Saw an official Sask Party billboard today that said "NDP IS AGAINST PIPELINES". Thats it.

I feel like spray painting "where did all our ***** money go?" Over it.

(And no I did not vote for the NDP)
Thanks given by:
The NDP were voted out for a few reasons, not the least of which was that they were in power for I believe 16 years. That is a fairly long time for one party.

Regardless, I wish there were more than 2 viable options in this province. It does a disservice when just two parties have a legit shot at taking the legislature.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-14, 12:35 AM)thebest41587 Wrote: NDP pay down the debt 4 consecutive years and get voted out. And Wall puts them in unchartered territory for debt. Is anyone surprised by this? They shouldn't be.

yea but the NDP held Saskatchewan back for YEARS!!  they wouldn't spend any money anywhere..

Saskatchewan was falling apart, no improvements, no growth (actually losing citizens)

Regina sure wouldn't have got that brand new fancy Football stadium if the NDP were still in power.  and NO OIL production.

I take this article not very seriously.
cfl
Thanks given by:
A more objective summary of the Wall government's history.

https://leaderpost.com/opinion/columnist...owing-debt
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
And so it goes with conservative government after conservative government from provinces to states to countries. It is like they don't even care anymore when they tell voters they are going to lower the debt.
At least be honest and tell voters "We will lower taxes(except on kids clothes and little things that affect the poorest) and we will ensure big business comes here(to rape and pillage and then leave again)and after a few years the debt will soar (Not due to job growing public works projects or infrastructure spending) but don't worry many of you will have bigger houses and bigger mortgages to show for it so all is good.(Until interests rates soar and you can't make the payments).
" I don't drink these days. I am allergic to alcohol and narcotics. I break out in handcuffs "
Thanks given by:
"The Province’s deficit is expected to increase significantly over the next five years under Premier Scott Moe as the government begins paying out P3 contracts to private sector contract owners on Saskatchewan schools, hospitals, and infrastructure. "
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-14, 09:25 AM)cflisthebest Wrote:
(2018-07-14, 12:35 AM)thebest41587 Wrote: NDP pay down the debt 4 consecutive years and get voted out. And Wall puts them in unchartered territory for debt. Is anyone surprised by this? They shouldn't be.

yea but the NDP held Saskatchewan back for YEARS!!  they wouldn't spend any money anywhere..

Saskatchewan was falling apart, no improvements, no growth (actually losing citizens)

Regina sure wouldn't have got that brand new fancy Football stadium if the NDP were still in power.  and NO OIL production.

And after reading this post, I take you not very seriously...(lol, apologies for the grammer)

Why do you think, the most popular Premier in all of Canada, decided to step aside...??

I'll trade that fancy new stadium for a responsible government....every F'n day.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-14, 04:38 PM)northern1 Wrote:
(2018-07-14, 09:25 AM)cflisthebest Wrote:

And after reading this post, I take you not very seriously...(lol, apologies for the grammer)

Why do you think, the most popular Premier in all of Canada, decided to step aside...??

I'll trade that fancy new stadium for a responsible government....every F'n day.

that so called responsible govt is to blame for their shitty roads, declining population, no spending to make any improvements.  

both major cities are growing fast and they experiencing a boom.  if the NDP had stayed in power this wouldn't have happened.

btw, the native population wanted nothing to do with the NDP when it came to negotiating the land for the Oil companies
cfl
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-14, 01:49 PM)Pouzar Wrote: "The Province’s deficit is expected to increase significantly over the next five years under Premier Scott Moe as the government begins paying out P3 contracts to private sector contract owners on Saskatchewan schools, hospitals, and infrastructure. "

so would you rather have the NDP still in power and have no new schools, hospitals or infrastructure?
cfl
Thanks given by:
Acknowledge the context and the post I was responding to....
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-14, 01:49 PM)Pouzar Wrote: "The Province’s deficit is expected to increase significantly over the next five years under Premier Scott Moe as the government begins paying out P3 contracts to private sector contract owners on Saskatchewan schools, hospitals, and infrastructure. "

Still more evidence that P3s are, and have always been a terrible idea
Thanks given by: poppabyrd
Saskatchewan seems like some sort of bizzaro province - a place where the NDP is criticized for paying down debt and not spending enough?!
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-16, 12:15 PM)Unreal Wrote: Saskatchewan seems like some sort of bizzaro province - a place where the NDP is criticized for paying down debt and not spending enough?!

you have to be from there to understand.

im not but I have family that are and they talk about it all the time.

NDP didn't spend ANY Money.

their roads were in disarray, never spent any money on any sort of infrastructure, improvements, etc.  they dragged that province down far.  it took them electing the Sask Party into power for the province to finally get out of the hole and up on top.
cfl
Thanks given by: Nanuuk
(2018-07-16, 01:46 PM)cflisthebest Wrote:
(2018-07-16, 12:15 PM)Unreal Wrote: Saskatchewan seems like some sort of bizzaro province - a place where the NDP is criticized for paying down debt and not spending enough?!

you have to be from there to understand.

im not but I have family that are and they talk about it all the time.

NDP didn't spend ANY Money.

their roads were in disarray, never spent any money on any sort of infrastructure, improvements, etc.  they dragged that province down far.  it took them electing the Sask Party into power for the province to finally get out of the hole and up on top.

Oh I understand.  It's just that if you point out Conservative governments doing the same thing you're dismissed as a snowflake lefty who wants the government to do everything for them.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-16, 01:46 PM)cflisthebest Wrote: NDP didn't spend ANY Money.

Dude, just stop.
Thanks given by: