Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound Bars
Looking at a new surround system.   Had an Onkyo receiver with hardwired speakers.  The Onkyo receiver appears to be dead.

Have a couple of  Sonos speakers that I can use and looking at adding a sound bar to set up surround sound.

A couple questions that I am getting confused on....

Can you use any sound bar with my existing sonos speakers?  If so any recommendations?

Love Sonos, but the sound bars and woofer are expensive.

Have a LG 4K tv.
If you take everything I’ve accomplished in my life and condense it down to one day, it looks decent! George Costanza
Thanks given by:
If your new sound bar does Bluetooth and your Sonos speakers can communicate, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be loaded for bear.

I bought a Polk Audio mini (at a reasonable) that came with a 'sound bar' and sub-woofer. I say 'sound bar' because it has everything except the sub-woofer. I use it in my basement and have found it to be quite good. I can't say if it is better than any sound bars out there, but it is blue tooth enabled so it might be a good fit with your Sonos.

https://www.polkaudio.com/products/magnifimini
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." - Jim Carrey
Thanks given by: FanOfHabs
(2019-05-17, 06:05 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: If your new sound bar does Bluetooth and your Sonos speakers can communicate, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be loaded for bear.

I bought a Polk Audio mini (at a reasonable) that came with a 'sound bar' and sub-woofer. I say 'sound bar' because it has everything except the sub-woofer. I use it in my basement and have found it to be quite good. I can't say if it is better than any sound bars out there, but it is blue tooth enabled so it might be a good fit with your Sonos.

i too have a Polk audio soundbar with a sub and i also have a pair of Sonos..i can honestly say i do not think the sub has worked since i got it and now im looking to take it somewhere to find out if its broken..? 

the Sonos i like but i find them confusing.i have a pair of the room speakers and i would like some for my TV room.i do not think you can use the Sonos room speakers on their own for a TV surround.? i think i need to get the Sonos sub and soundbar that i could use my room speakers as rear.? if i'm wrong i hope someone will tell me.i'm really new at these Sonos, Yamaha makes a really good soundbar.they actually were the first manufacturers in NA for them.
Thanks given by:
Sometimes I wonder if my sub is working as well. Certainly I don't hear the bangs and crashes that I do with my home theatre setup in my family room. It works though. More subtle and I find it work best when the movie sound paramter is chosen.

I chose the Polk primarily because I could place it on a shelf below my TV. Soundbar height becomes an issue depending on the TV stand being used. In my case it the TV legs that came with the TV. Anything more than say 2.5 in. and it blocked part of the viewing screen.

I think the Yamaha sound bar is fantastic. The problem for me, other than the above, was spending $700 or so on it as that's the price of a new A/V Receiver. If I was to replace my home theatre setup to de-clutter, that just might be an option.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." - Jim Carrey
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-17, 06:40 PM)RATW-Leafaholic Wrote:
(2019-05-17, 06:05 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: If your new sound bar does Bluetooth and your Sonos speakers can communicate, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be loaded for bear.

i too have a Polk audio soundbar with a sub and i also have a pair of Sonos..i can honestly say i do not think the sub has worked since i got it and now im looking to take it somewhere to find out if its broken..? 

the Sonos i like but i find them confusing.i have a pair of the room speakers and i would like some for my TV room.i do not think you can use the Sonos room speakers on their own for a TV surround.? i think i need to get the Sonos sub and soundbar that i could use my room speakers as rear.? if i'm wrong i hope someone will tell me.i'm really new at these Sonos, Yamaha makes a really good soundbar.they actually were the first manufacturers in NA for them.

I tried every which way to try and pair up my Sonos to the tv and the tv will just not recognize them.

I think the sound bar is the only way to go.   I really like Sonos but they are expensive.
If you take everything I’ve accomplished in my life and condense it down to one day, it looks decent! George Costanza
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-18, 07:46 AM)Nanuuk Wrote: Sometimes I wonder if my sub is working as well. Certainly I don't hear the bangs and crashes that I do with my home theatre setup in my family room. It works though. More subtle and I find it work best when the movie sound paramter is chosen.

I chose the Polk primarily because I could place it on a shelf below my TV. Soundbar height becomes an issue depending on the TV stand being used. In my case it the TV legs that came with the TV. Anything more than say 2.5 in. and it blocked part of the viewing screen.

I think the Yamaha sound bar is fantastic. The problem for me, other than the above, was spending $700 or so on it as that's the price of a new A/V Receiver. If I was to replace my home theatre setup to de-clutter, that just might be an option.

We have lots of room so we are fortunate that way.   Now we just decide on how much to spend.

Thanks for the info Nanuuk
Thanks given by: