Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sparks run out for Garrett
The Score is saying Leafs have put Sparks on the block. They screwed the pooch letting McBackup go. Just give us future considerations for him and be done with this experiment. Glad they ended it fast and not keep trying for the next decade. I do wish Sparks on his future endeavours. Either traded or not. He’s done as a Leaf.
Thanks given by: Sportking , Sportking
Should have never let mcbackup go. It was obvious sparks wasn't ready
Thanks given by: LordFerg13 , CaperLeaf
(2019-06-14, 07:42 PM)Sportking Wrote: Should have never let mcbackup go. It was obvious sparks wasn't ready

Yepp agreed. Either they can trade him. If not they can put him on waivers and cut their loses. 

But I do like the one they grabbed who was up when Anderson was out and same with Sparks.

Had to go look it up lol. Hutchinson.
Thanks given by:
Meh he deserved a chance.  25 year old AHL goalie of the year coming off a Calder Cup championship.  I won't fault Dubas for this one.  At least he realizes that he blew that chance and is looking elsewhere.  Other GM's and coach's (don't need to name names) are so fixated on their guy that they can't see things aren't working.

Thanks given by: MisterZ
(2019-06-14, 07:42 PM)Sportking Wrote: Should have never let mcbackup go. It was obvious sparks wasn't ready

It was only obvious in retrospect, his AHL play warranted an NHL opportunity, and if he had been lost on waivers at the start of last season we would have all thought it was a huge mistake.
Thanks given by: Nuclearsun , CaperLeaf
Could see someone like Keith Kinkaid on a league minimum deal. Last years numbers were bad when he was tested as a starter but every year prior he put up solid numbers in a support role.
Thanks given by:
I would sooner see an older/veteran backup who knows his role.

Tough transition to go from playing 60+ games as a #1 to going 4 weeks without seeing a game for a young guy.

Give Sparks a chance to go somewhere where me may be able to earn his way into a 1/1A situation...Andersen is so firmly the #1 guy here that you need a guy who is content and prepared to be the backup.

I know why the Leafs did what they did, and you couldn't expect Sparks to spend another year in the AHL after what he had already done down there. I just don't think he's cut out to be a backup...but I also don't think he's good enough to be a starter either. He'll likely wind up as a AHL goaltender but I don't blame him for being unwilling to accept that fate at this stage of his career.
Thanks given by: Sportking

I think you might recall I said the same thing even after the Marlies won the Calder. I said he was not and nor will he ever be a proper backup let alone a starting NHL goalie. I stand by that remark more than ever now. He might make a ECHL goalie but not in the Leafs organization.
WE TRUE NORTH STRONG AND FREE
Thanks given by: Sportking , Sportking
TSNs Pierre LeBrun is also reporting on this. What could sweeten the move is he has one year left with a cap hit of $750K
WE TRUE NORTH STRONG AND FREE
Thanks given by:
I was totally behind him getting a shot based on his AHL resume. It did not work out as we hoped but that is okay.

I don’t see it as a big story that he is on block.....it is the small potatoes portion of the work that Dubas has ahead of him in the next 6 weeks.
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-15, 08:16 AM)Stormy Wrote:

It was only obvious in retrospect, his AHL play warranted an NHL opportunity, and if he had been lost on waivers at the start of last season we would have all thought it was a huge mistake.

Again its not his play with relation to the numbers he posted.. 

Looking beyond the numbers he is a goalie that always had awkward positioning and slow side to side movement. In the Ahl a league with lesser talent and some beer league level shooters you can get away with that but in the NHL where the game is much faster and elite players can pick corners he was never going to succeed. He also has never been a backup. In fairness to him its hard for some vets to go to a backup role after they were a starter let alone a young guy in his first year in the NHL.
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-15, 09:36 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote: I would sooner see an older/veteran backup who knows his role.

Tough transition to go from playing 60+ games as a #1 to going 4 weeks without seeing a game for a young guy.

Give Sparks a chance to go somewhere where me may be able to earn his way into a 1/1A situation...Andersen is so firmly the #1 guy here that you need a guy who is content and prepared to be the backup.

I know why the Leafs did what they did, and you couldn't expect Sparks to spend another year in the AHL after what he had already done down there. I just don't think he's cut out to be a backup...but I also don't think he's good enough to be a starter either. He'll likely wind up as a AHL goaltender but I don't blame him for being unwilling to accept that fate at this stage of his career.

This
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-15, 09:36 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote: I would sooner see an older/veteran backup who knows his role.

Maybe Babs should have rested Freddy and given Sparks the odd game where its not the 2nd game of back to backs.  Lighten Freddy's workload (its becoming a trend around the league to rest your starters more) and try to give Sparks some confidence early on.  When Sparks got the job I assumed this was what they would be doing.

Thanks given by:
I was all for giving Sparks a chance. I agreed keeping Sparks and moving the veteran Mcbackup. In hindsite we should of sold high on Sparks.
But I really feel they had to give Sparks a shot. He still could bounce back but I think he ends to mature alot. He said and did some dumb stuff this year.
If the Leafs as an organization didn't give Sparks a chance after the year he had in the minors it would of looked bad on the organization. Young players need to see that if you play well u will get a shot. It didn't pan out li,e we wanted but he did deserve a look. If anything you could argue he needs more of a look and more playing time but with Babcock here that won't happen.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I personally think we should have just kept 3 goalies for the first half of the year.  No need to keep Marincin or Holl on the big club IMO.  But whatever its all hindsight.

Thanks given by: