Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sportsnet: Too soon for fans outside Toronto to hate Maple Leafs
The days of Canadians having only two Canadian teams to cheer for are looooong gone. The Leafs ended up with a lot of fans west of Toronto mainly because that was the team they got on TV on Saturday nights back then. 

Whole different story now for sure. But really, who cares? Not I.  Silly
"Stand up for yourself young fellow. Nobody else is going to do it for you" 
Thanks given by:
(2017-04-21, 06:06 AM)Nuclearsun Wrote:
(2017-04-21, 04:59 AM)lewis94 Wrote: I'm not sure why cfl pretends to be a big hockey fan sometimes. Football is obviously his main sports interest (nothing wrong with that).

I am a huge hockey fan but also a big baseball and NFL fan. Just because I am not on here talking about baseball and football doesn't make me any less of a fan.

I know that and I'm in the same boat. But when cfl posts about hockey it's clear he doesn't follow things closely or know much about the game.
We live to survive our paradoxes
Thanks given by:
(2017-04-18, 01:07 PM)derekmtl85 Wrote: The lack of self-control on some people is incredible. You hate a team because of the media? Then stop reading those articles, stop commenting on the forums or posts, scroll past the articles on FB/Twitter.

It seems really simple to me. Then again, i don't let media decide what i like or dislike.

You completely miss the point. Like, by a lot.

Nobody is talking about the Toronto papers here, lol.

We are talking about national media outlets who (presumably) are there to report on sports for everyone in the country.

Savary's post here sums it up pretty well with a recent example.

It's frikken pathetic...

(2017-04-24, 02:20 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote: Just watched "Hockey Central"... It wasn't officially their Round 1 playoff roundup, but Millard started off the show by announcing that "Round 1 is now in the books".

For nearly the 1st 25 minutes of the show, Millard, Stellick and Marek talked exclusively about the Caps - Leafs series... but more to the point, they talked about how truly awesome things are for the Leafs... 

Long story short, if I didn't know any better, I would have assumed the Leafs won the series... Wink 

Then, they touched on the Sens series... for the next 5 whole minutes...  except for the last 2 minutes of that segment where they went back to talking about the Leafs/Caps series... Laugh Laugh 

Then, after a commercial break, they came back and took turns slamming the Habs, Hawks and Flames... Yes, that would be the same Hawks team that's won 3 Cups in the past 8 years. 

Perhaps Hockey Central runs on Sundays and they discussed the Oiler series win yesterday... Not sure on that.
Thanks given by:
Hockey Central can run their program however the hell they like. Who is anyone on these forums to tell them what to do or what items they should run down on the program? We're NOT the directors & we don't sit in front of the cameras!
Thanks given by:
I assumed the role of a publicly traded company like Bell, Rogers, Videotron, etc, were to make profits. They make profits by selling advertising based on their ratings. They gain those ratings by showing programming that people want to tune in to. They get better ratings with Leaf coverage than they do with Senators, Canucks or Flames coverage. Thus, they broadcast more Leaf coverage to make more money.

You can presume that they are in the business to report on things equally for everybody, but they are not.
Thanks given by: ckendall
Let's be honest, whatever the Leafs are doing right now & going forward will be a hell of a lot more interesting & will create plenty more buzz, then, uh, let's say, whatever the hell in gawd's name the 29th-place Canucks will be doing for the next lil' while, considering they'll probably remain a 29th place team until after the Sedins' contracts are up out there. #SorryNotSorry Wink
Thanks given by:
(2017-04-24, 02:50 PM)Nuclearsun Wrote: You can presume that they are in the business to report on things equally for everybody, but they are not.

I didn't presume anything. I was educating derek as to what people are talking about when they mention the media coverage in the context of 'hating' the Leafs.

It's not that anybody 'hates' the Leafs, or necessarily even cares about them one way or another.
Thanks given by:
(2017-04-24, 03:08 PM)Limestoner Wrote:
(2017-04-24, 02:50 PM)Nuclearsun Wrote: You can presume that they are in the business to report on things equally for everybody, but they are not.

I didn't presume anything. I was educating derek as to what people are talking about when they mention the media coverage in the context of 'hating' the Leafs.

It's not that anybody 'hates' the Leafs, or necessarily even cares about them one way or another.

"We are talking about national media outlets who (presumably) are there to report on sports for everyone in the country."
Thanks given by:
Missing the part where I said equally.

Perhaps you can quote that in giant make mad letters too. Laugh
Thanks given by:
(2017-04-24, 03:42 PM)Limestoner Wrote: Missing the part where I said equally. 

Perhaps you can quote that in giant make mad letters too. Laugh

They aren't giant make mad letters. Its just what happened when I copied and pasted on an iPhone.

So... if you are not talking about equality, what was your point? They do discuss all the other teams but they discuss more about the Leafs. Even in savary's post that you quoted he said they discussed the other series, just not equally.
Thanks given by: