Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summer Transfers
"Did I really need to specify greatest male player? It goes without saying Christine Sinclair is great. I'm a big supporter of the woman's program and she's been a top 5 women's player for the last 15 years.

I didn't include Hargreaves or the decent De Guzman as they elected to play elsewhere, but if you want to include them then Hargreaves is the greatest Canadian.

They are all quality players you mentioned, but none of them with the exception of maybe Hargreaves had the quality and potential that Davies has at only 17. He was wanted by a bunch of the big European clubs. Even on the national level he's already turning heads with his performance at the 2017 Gold Cup - winning the Golden Boot and the Best Young Player. If all he amounts to is a career equalling De Rosario's then that's going to be a massive disappointment."

I just don't think we should heap too much praise on him so young. He's yet to truly develop or show he can play at the top level (he may never break into the Munich side with any regularity).

His potential is massive, no question there, but Canada has had some guys who have played at the highest levels with some real success. I think, more than you're praising the kid, you're diminishing the impact and quality of the guys who came before him. I don't think it'll be a disappointment to be equaled to one of the best MLS players in the history of the league.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-26, 10:52 AM)encore Wrote:
(2018-07-26, 10:32 AM)theDC Wrote:
(2018-07-26, 06:07 AM)encore Wrote:
(2018-07-25, 11:28 PM)Canuxxx Wrote:
(2018-07-24, 05:45 PM)encore Wrote: Exciting for Canadian soccer. With Ribery and Robben getting older, he should get some chances on the wing, though I'm guessing he'll be loaned out at some point.

He has the potential to be th greatest Canadian soccer player of all time. He's that good

To be fair, that's not exactly saying much lol. It would be disappointing if he didn't reach that status.

Um, we've had some pretty great players (some decided not to play for Canada, which sucks), players who could have/should have played for Canada but may have played elsewhere

Christine Sinclair (we've never had a player until her, male or female be arguably the best player on the planet, she was in that discussion) - He'll have to be a Ballon D'or short lister to compare

Julian de Guzman
Jon de Guzman
Owen Hargraeves

Dwayne de Rosario <- This would be a good target, and would put him up there with some of the best Canadians I'll use him as my gatekeeper

Tomasz Rodzinski
Atiba Hutchinson

Did I really need to specify greatest male player? It goes without saying Christine Sinclair is great. I'm a big supporter of the woman's program and she's been a top 5 women's player for the last 15 years. 

I didn't include Hargreaves or the decent De Guzman as they elected to play elsewhere, but if you want to include them then Hargreaves is the greatest Canadian. 

They are all quality players you mentioned, but none of them with the exception of maybe Hargreaves had the quality and potential that Davies has at only 17. He was wanted by a bunch of the big European clubs. Even on the national level he's already turning heads with his performance at the 2017 Gold Cup - winning the Golden Boot and the Best Young Player. If all he amounts to is a career equalling De Rosario's then that's going to be a massive disappointment.

I think that criticism on DeRo is incredibly harsh man.  The game is very different now in terms of global talent acquisition that it was at the time of DeRo's prime.  That being said he had a hell of a career man.  He's Canada's all time leading scorer, which really is saying something given he's not a full blown #9 type.  Plus he came through at a time when the program was at it's worst IMO.  One of the greatest MLS players of all time, of course not including the mercenary's.  I think in relative terms DeRo had an excellent career. 

The thing with these top young players is their development is fickle. Yes, this Davies lad looks to have all the tools, but you can look up and down these youth leagues and there's so many guys that drop off.  I think the best thing we can do as fans is not pile on the pressure.  Saying a 16 year old has to be Canada's greatest player or he's a failure is really ridiculous.  Let him live...enjoy watching his development and pull for him.  He doesn't owe Canada shit.
Thanks given by:
Any truth to the rumour that Busby and Milt are car pooling down to the Michigan Big House this weekend?
"Feeling silly and sublime", most of the time.
Thanks given by:
I haven't completely dismissed the idea of going to that game, but I keep thinking how disappointing friendlies end up being. But I've got nothing to do this weekend so it might still happen.
Thanks given by:
Milt, Lilypad, what do you think of Ben Woodburn, reckon Klopp will loan him out to Aston Villa?
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
He's bulked up a bit which should help him have more impact in games, he was too lightweight. However I don't see him getting much time in a red shirt so a loan might well be the best option for his development.
Where to I have no clue.
Thanks given by:
Jose not happy with the progression of transfer business this window. Claims to have given his club five targets months ago. Expects to only get one.
Now airing his dirty laundry in public. What season of his tenure are we in again, Busby, DC?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2788...-transfers
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-30, 07:48 AM)miltonred Wrote: Jose not happy with the progression of transfer business this window. Claims to have given his club five targets months ago. Expects to only get one.
Now airing his dirty laundry in public. What season of his tenure are we in again, Busby, DC?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2788...-transfers

Gotta think this is bound to land at Woodward's feet this time. Three managers, all ending up with the same gripe?

With that said, this is Jose's deal, so not too surprising really.
Thanks given by:
I had some friends go to the Michigan game. Would have been fun. I still feel jaded with the Toronto game a few years back.

Ben Woodburn.... He's going out on loan.
It would have to be a really injury filled season for him to get much game time.
Bulking up and getting game time is what is needed.
The issue is that he is under quite a bit of pressure to produce. Game time cannot be guaranteed if you aren't producing, but it's what is needed. Catch 22 I suppose.

About Jose.... what youngster would ever want to go to that club when he throws you under the bus like he does. Did you see his recent quote about Sanchez? He's just a sad little dick.
Thanks given by:
I was going to drive as well. Worked out we could have got the family there for $400 and then the hotel etc. We ultimately decided not to bother simply because I'm not interested in watching this United side, and we'll likely be over to England soon with the kids for a proper game.

Yeah Milt...this is Jose's "third season" which if you believe the hype, he's bound to implode. Mind you, he was supposed to win the league in his "second season" so who TF knows.

Personally, I want something to happen. I look at this squad and it's magnificent. I can't really see what else Jose has to cry about. If he wants us to buy the likes of facking Willian for 75M, he can lick my nut sack. This is some bull shit frankly.

He should have no issues getting the best out of this squad, and we'll really see if he can. He's got an excellent mix of youth and I really don't see him needing ANYONE...certainly not a panic buy just to say we bought three new players this year and spent our usual 150M.

Any result on this tour is absolutely meaningless. Get the players conditioned, sell some shirts, then get back home for the start of the season. The world cup players, of which United had the most left IIRC, will not need any ramp up. Half of our starting 11 was basically in the last four of the world cup.
Thanks given by:
Busby, shirts are selling like crazy. I've got some teens rocking Rashford jerseys, they think he'll be United's best player this season. I love me some Rashford but think they'll be disappointed. As a soccer fan I'd like to see him put up near 15g at the least
Thanks given by:
Rashford is fractionally shorter than Ronaldo but weighs ten pounds less.
30 is way too much Bic. 10 pounds of muscle and he'll be fine
Thanks given by:
Fair amount of activity going on.
Hart joins Burnley - odd because Pope is a better keeper...maybe Pope is moving on, but to where?
Courtois has failed to show up for training at Chelsea, pushing for a Real Madrid move.

United not getting Alderweireld and won't be burned in the fee for Maguire (who isn't that good anyway) - now in for Mina from Barcelona.

Barcelona have reportedly bid Mina + Sanches + 35m for Pogba. Seem like if that's true Paul Pogba is being unsettled by the shiny object that is Barca, something Liverpool fans know only tell well can be a nightmare.

Elsewhere Stan Kroenke is going to buy Usmanovs Arsenal shares. Should clear the way for better direction from the teams ownership.
Thanks given by:
The EPL teams need to band together and crush Barca.... They are so cowardly in the way that they do things.
I really cannot stand them.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-07, 11:53 AM)lillypad_33 Wrote: The EPL teams need to band together and crush Barca.... They are so cowardly in the way that they do things.

Them and RM are so stacked but they are nothing but vultures.
Thanks given by:
Deadline day.
Chelsea the focus of all the big changes. Courtois to RM. Chelsea then break the world record for Kepa, Spain's number two from Bilboa. Never heard of him.
Also they're loaning Kovacic from RM. Croatian who didn't see much game time last year or at the WC.
West Ham getting Lucas Perez from Arsenal.
Leicester sign a CB, does that mean Maguire moves?
5 hours to go.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-07, 03:22 PM)bicboi Wrote:
(2018-08-07, 11:53 AM)lillypad_33 Wrote: The EPL teams need to band together and crush Barca.... They are so cowardly in the way that they do things.

Them and RM are so stacked but they are nothing but vultures.

I have no problem with them being stacked, it's the manner in which they do it....
The press, and the national teams have too much talk.  It really is bullshit.
Thanks given by:
Barcelona doing their best to plant the Coutinho seed in Pogba's brain.

Frankly, I'm about done with his horseshit. 200M and he can go give Umtiti a handy in the dressing room and share it on his Insta story.

His antics would be worth putting up with if he was actually consistently decent at something. But in these modern times...does a footballer actually need to be good at football anymore?
Thanks given by: