Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TSN: Report: Jays, Gibbons finalizing extension
Thoughts?

http://www.tsn.ca/report-gibbons-jays-fi...n-1.702195
Thanks given by:
Sounds like there will also be an option for 2020.

Kind of crazy that Gibbons' 555 wins are 2nd only to Cito's 681 in franchise history. If he lasts until the summer of 2018 he'll surpass that (unless things go completely pear-shaped for the Jays).
Thanks given by:
(2017-03-21, 04:29 PM)shadylane Wrote: Sounds like there will also be an option for 2020.

Kind of crazy that Gibbons' 555 wins are 2nd only to Cito's 681 in franchise history. If he lasts until the summer of 2018 he'll surpass that (unless things go completely pear-shaped for the Jays).

looking it up...baseballreference says Gibby has 644 wins over 9 seasons...  .512 win %

and it has Cito at 894 wins over 12 seasons... just a touch better with .516 win %
Thanks given by:
I like it.
I don't have a problem with him or most of his decisions.

The odd time I've shook my head or asked the odd question here during a game what his reasoning was, but I'm no baseball expert.

I also find him pretty funny in an interview and that's half the battle right there.

I also dislike the short term manages/coaches that don't have any leeway against players. For a manager with a long extension, you k now he's not going anywhere so buck up and get the job done.

That's my 2 cents on the matter anyway.
Tears streaming down my cheeks, just take me to Lansdowne Street...
Thanks given by:
Oops, I was looking at a different source for wins and it wasn't up to date/didn't combine tenures.

Gibbons does have a way with the media. I think that can be important at times when there's player controversy/pressure as he'll have no problem deflecting or taking the heat.
Thanks given by:
Maybe this dispels the notion that Eric Wedge is "their guy" to eventually take over the managerial duties. That's what most people assumed when Wedge came to the organization - that Gibby would be out the door the 1st chance they got & that Wedge would step right in.

I guess they actually like the work that Gibby has done managing this ballclub.

Under Gibby's 2nd term as manager the Jays are 30 games OVER .500( 339-309 ).

Not too shabby I guess.
Thanks given by:
(2017-03-21, 04:58 PM)Chip Wrote: I like it.
I don't have a problem with him or most of his decisions.

The odd time I've shook my head or asked the odd question here during a game what his reasoning was, but I'm no baseball expert.

I also find him pretty funny in an interview and that's half the battle right there.

I also dislike the short term manages/coaches that don't have any leeway against players. For a manager with a long extension, you k now he's not going anywhere so buck up and get the job done.

That's my 2 cents on the matter anyway.

Or if they don't buck up and get the job done he'll just fight them.

In all seriousness, I like Gibby and would welcome his extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2017-03-21, 04:58 PM)Chip Wrote: I also find him pretty funny in an interview and that's half the battle right there.

I can't get past the "you know", throughout all his interviews.   I lose count over a one minute interview how many times he says it.

Has no effect on his coaching ability....just a small, but very noticeable thing for me.  

Happy
Thanks given by: