Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TV Series
(2017-06-17, 07:23 PM)Wulfgar85 Wrote: The Ranch is back up with its newest season on netflixs  I went to watch one episode before bed last night and it turned into three.

I seen that as well yesterday. Put that on my list as well. Watched up to 3 as well.
Thanks given by:
(2017-06-17, 07:37 PM)Bong13 Wrote:
(2017-06-17, 07:29 PM)Pouzar Wrote: I've never heard of this ranching show, is it good? Obviously or you wouldn't be watching it.

I had trouble even watching the first episode

Same. I watched the first 10 min or so and turned it off.
Thanks given by:
(2017-05-19, 09:30 AM)Hieremias Wrote:
(2017-05-19, 01:16 AM)TheNumber13 Wrote: Damon Lindelof is a polarizing individual. The ability to generate a buzz for many of his works is a success in itself. With Lost, he (along with fellow showrunner Carlton Cuse) drew in a cult following. As he once said, the most memorable aspects of a TV series is the six days in between episodes where fans dissect plots and theorize. Lost was unmatched in that regard. Various forums across the Net, Lostpedia, etc. Basically, he played a major role in creating a cash cow for ABC.

When Lost started it was fairly original. I will give it credit for kicking off a wave of pseudo-sci-fi shows set in the present day but with supernatural elements. And yes, there was quite a following of people trying to dissect the show and figure out where it was going.

But that was because people didn't know Lindelof's M.O. back then. We know better now. The show was going nowhere. The writers had no frickin' idea why the jungle island had polar bears and smoke monsters and undersea cables. This became more obvious as the show progressed and new fantasy elements were introduced while old ones were discarded and forgotten.

I was one of those people watching Lost every week in the first couple of seasons, usually with friends and always debating it afterward. We eventually gave that up.

(2017-05-19, 01:16 AM)TheNumber13 Wrote: One of his greatest assets is character development. Legendary characters such as John Locke, Benjamin Linus, Desmond, etc. will be benchmarks for how to properly develop a character who is memorable. Even when fans are loving a character, he doesn't drag them out for the sake of viewership, he knows when to kill them off at an appropriate time for the sake of great writing. It hurts, it wrenches your gut, but as the Michael Jordan of writing he knows that it has to be done.

Hahahaha. No. Characters in Lost died because their actors got in trouble during production. Michelle Rodriguez and the actress for Libby were arrested together for DUI's and almost immediately both their characters were shot in the same scene. The actor for Michael was charged with not having car insurance and they wrote him out of the show. The actor for Mr Echo was arrested for driving without a license and immediately after his character was eaten by the smoke monster. Daniel Dae Kim was arrested for drunk driving and his character got killed. Turns out it's hard to keep a large cast of Hollywood wannabes behaving well while shooting in Hawaii.

John Locke was the only halfway decent character in the show, but then they killed him off to replace him with a look-alike evil spirit. God dammit.

(2017-05-19, 01:16 AM)TheNumber13 Wrote: With a show as big as Lost was, and as big as the scope of the "Lost Universe" was, it was impossible to satisfy everybody with the Finale. They had to pack everything into a very little 2.5 hour timeslot. Imagine that: trying to end Lost in just 2.5 hours! One thing I also noticed is that there are lots of dumb people out there. They criticize the show for not answering certain mysteries, and the ones they bring up as unresolved were actually answered if they used their brain. Then there are the ones who are so livid because they were 'dead the whole time', even though that's not what happened. Damon was never given a fair shake, but the way he defended the show was admirable. He would get into Twitter fights over it. One key takeaway from his interviews is this: He's glad that people still cared about the show when it ended. A positive/negative reaction is better than no reaction.

I particularly enjoy that you think fighting on Twitter is "admirable". But the takeaway is that he duped people into thinking he had a coherent ending planned for his crazy show when he pitched it, and they were pissed off when it turned out to be nonsense. The Leftovers is the exact same. It's not going to end well because the ending wasn't even on the radar at the beginning.

The contrast is a show that had a clear goal right from the first episode: Breaking Bad. Gilligan knew he wanted to make a show where Mr Rogers becomes Scarface, where the good guy becomes the villain. The end was always in sight from the beginning, which is why the final episodes of BB are ranked among the best episodes of TV ever made, and the finale for Lost is routinely listed among the worst television finales.

Hell yeah they knew which direction it was going in, buddy. During the mid-point of season 3 the show was in a bit of a stall. Matthew Fox showed signs of wanting to leave the show because there seemed to be no end in sight. That's when ABC gave the writers an official end date: the show would be six seasons. It's rare for a network show to get to CHOOSE their own end date. Damon and Carlton then were able to structure exactly how the remaining seasons would go down.

I disagree with you on Mr. Eko. The writers actually wanted to keep him till the final season however the actor wanted to leave Hawaii. He didn't get along with the cast (specifically Terry O'Quinn). I feel like a lot of them actually got sick of Hawaii eventually. It's a dope vacation spot but living there for multiple years might get nauseating. As Matthew Fox once said, you get sick of seeing water every day and want to go back to seeing the city life.

Breaking Bad is one of my favourites of all-time, absolutely loved it! But it was an easier show to write because the scope of the Breaking Bad World wasn't as big as the Lost World. Lost had so many elements at play (time travel, supernatural, religion, science vs. faith, etc.) Plus a network show has to do 20+ episodes per season so they're forced to have some filler. BB was given a solid 10-12 or something per season.
Thanks given by:
Whoa - Bloodline, end of season 2.......

I now want to start season 3 but I also want to save it for when the wife is in London the 1st week of July.
Thanks given by:
(2017-06-20, 10:30 PM)Pouzar Wrote: Whoa - Bloodline, end of season 2.......

I now want to start season 3 but I also want to save it for when the wife is in London the 1st week of July.

Pouz did you ever end up catching up on Game of Thrones? New season starts in a month!
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Almost but not quite - I think I have about half a season to go. I wasn't as in to the last few seasons as o was the first few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2017-06-18, 04:48 PM)Andrew Wrote:
(2017-06-17, 07:37 PM)Bong13 Wrote:
(2017-06-17, 07:29 PM)Pouzar Wrote: I've never heard of this ranching show, is it good? Obviously or you wouldn't be watching it.

I had trouble even watching the first episode

Same. I watched the first 10 min or so and turned it off.

Is this the show with Ashton Kutcher?  What a piece of crap.........in my opinion anyway.  Some very good actors in it but a horrible show.
Thanks given by: