Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The CAP situation I
Why did I think he was a defenceman?  I swear, I remember watching him a few years ago, and he was a defenceman.  Maybe I have him confused with someone else, there are a lot of Ho Sang's in the league. 

Still, we've had bad luck making deals with the Islanders...
Thanks given by:
Given the $3.5M cap savings (which will be huge next year), I'm not even so sure that Eberle/Strome deal isn't turning out to be a fine deal - not great but not overly terrible.

Eberle has a grand total of 17 points more than Strome while playing with materially better players throughout the year. As we know, Eberle doesn't bring much more to the ice than offence whereas Strome has a better 200 foot game (he is not bad defensively and it actually pretty solid on the boards), Stome is more versatile, Strome is turning in to a plus penalty killer, Strome can win some faceoffs, etc.

Don't get me wrong, Eberle is the "better" player but, for 17 extra points (with Barzal), I'm not sure the $3.5M cap savings (which will be needed next season) does not even this one out quite a bit.

Neither player has led their team to the playoffs.
Thanks given by:
(2018-03-13, 05:46 PM)Pouzar Wrote: Given the $3.5M cap savings (which will be huge next year), I'm not even so sure that Eberle/Strome deal isn't turning out to be a fine deal - not great but not overly terrible.

Eberle has a grand total of 17 points more than Strome while playing with materially better players throughout the year. As we know, Eberle doesn't bring much more to the ice than offence whereas Strome has a better 200 foot game (he is not bad defensively and it actually pretty solid on the boards), Stome is more versatile, Strome is turning in to a plus penalty killer, Strome can win some faceoffs, etc.

Don't get me wrong, Eberle is the "better" player but, for 17 extra points (with Barzal), I'm not sure the $3.5M cap savings (which will be needed next season) does not even this one out quite a bit.

Neither player has led their team to the playoffs.

I don't disagree but why couldn't our GM get a player like Strome without trading a player like Eberle? His sole explanation was cap savings but according to NHLnumbers.com the oil are sitting on close to 8m in space this year.

The Ebs trade didn't have to happen and if the payback is Strome then they may have been better off keeping Ebs, playing him with McDavid all year and selling him at the deadline (if we weren't in the playoffs) or in the off season this year , while adding a player like Strome with less valuable assets.

Thanks given by:
Yes, the Oilers have a bunch of cap space this year but next to none for the next year.

GMs can't just look at one year, they need to look beyond and make decisions that make sense not only for the short term but the medium (and long) term.

The plan was pretty clear - Chiarelli was going to save the cap space and evaluate over the first few months of the year to see where he needed to add during the season and at the deadline for the playoff and Cup push - unfortunately the season went so far off the rails that acquiring rentals, etc. with the cap space no longer made sense.

Sure, he could have spent the cap space but he was essentially limited to signing or acquiring one-year contracts - he couldn't commit any material cap hit with term or we'd be even more screwed cap wise for next year.
Thanks given by:
OS AA and Pulock! and go after Ho Sang and Ellis.
Connor McDavid: "It's great to be a part of Edmonton for the next nine years.  Money aside, I just want to be here, play here, & win here."
Thanks given by:
(2018-03-13, 05:00 PM)maclintock Wrote:
(2018-03-13, 04:51 PM)ZappaScores Wrote:
(2018-03-13, 04:34 PM)maclintock Wrote: I think something is up with Ho Sang and that is a reason he is not on the big club. I do think they would move him if not a 6th then even a 3rd this and a 3rd next I think this is the kind of trade that they need to push. 
As for Ellis, I do think they will look to move him for that kind of a deal for sure , especially if they win the cup.

This reminds me of another high-pedigree prospect the Islanders once had. They were able to get a pretty good return on someone entering bust territory. How many 1sts do we have this year?

Islanders main concern is re-signing Tavares and I don't think he'll re-up without improvements. I can see Ho Sang packaged to obtain immediate help. If Tavares walks, then the Islanders new GM will most likely be in rebuild mode and a guy like Ho Sang might get more opportunity with the club.
Ya he could.   Ho Sang has talent and speed to burn, I think attitude, but he and McD are good buddies, so he could be what the doctor ordered.

He's a narcissistic head case.....he's all about "me", "my", and "I" ....he supposedly has issues with being a team player. 
Some of them being, Consistency, Puck Management, Playing away from the puck....These are some of the issues that have been stated by Islanders 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/isla...-immature/
Thanks given by:
When Tavares signs with Vegas this summer Snow will be begging PC for RNH.
Connor McDavid: "It's great to be a part of Edmonton for the next nine years.  Money aside, I just want to be here, play here, & win here."
Thanks given by:
The salary cap ceiling is getting a big hike next year

This link from Oilersnation.com

https://oilersnation.com/2018/03/21/the-...m=facebook

If it went to 82 I shudder the thought actually of how that would be spent but would give the team some serious flexibility

Here is the actual article:

Here’s some great news for the Edmonton Oilers — the NHL’s salary cap ceiling is set to rise from $75 million to somewhere between $78 and $82 million for the 2018-19 season. With Connor McDavid’s record-setting $12.5 million annual extension set to kick in next season, the Oilers needed this news.

At minimum, if this report is correct, the cap will go up by $3 million next season. But if it reaches the $82 million figure Renaud Lavoie said it could, that would represent the biggest jump, $7 million, seen since the massive $6.3 million hike the ceiling took between 2006-07 and 2007-08. That said, I imagine the ceiling will end up at $80 million, which was suggested back in December.

Like I said, this would be huge for the Oilers. Obviously it’s a good thing for pretty much every team in the league save for those who are struggling to reach the salary cap ceiling, but with Edmonton set to pay McDavid and Leon Draisaitl $21 million annually combined, they were really banking on a pretty significant salary cap increase.

Back in the off-season when Draisaitl and McDavid inked those deals, I compared them to another dynamic duo, Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, and how much of a percentage of the cap they ate up. Ultimately, the point was that they were going to eat up a lot of cap in the short-term, but like Crosby and Malkin in Pittsburgh, as the ceiling went up, the percentage of what McDavid and Draisaitl cost against the cap would go down. The argument against this logic was that the salary cap wasn’t going to continue to rise at as aggressive of a clip as it did after Malkin and Crosby signed their big contracts, but this news suggests otherwise. I figure we see another big spike in 2021-22 after the Seattle expansion team breaks into the league.

When Crosby and Malkin started making a combined $18.2 million in 2014-15, the cap was at $69 million, meaning they cost the Penguins 26.4 per cent of their cap. Draisaitl and McDavid next year will cost the Oilers $21 million, which is $26.3 per cent of the $80 million figure right in the middle of the suggested range.

I’m not saying that McDavid and Draisaitl and Crosby and Malkin, but the Oilers probably aren’t as screwed by the $21 million combined cap hit as many think. I mean, to be honest, while Draisaitl is likely an overpay at $8.5 million, McDavid is discounted at $12.5 million. He costs them 15.6 per cent of an $80 million cap and he’s accountable for driving a lot more than 15.6 per cent of the team’s success.

Next year, the Oilers have about $62 million committed to eight forwards, four defencemen, and two goaltenders. Among those not signed are restricted free agents Ryan Strome, Darnell Nurse, Matt Benning, Anton Slepyshev, Drake Caggiula, and Iiro Pakarinen. That means the Oilers would have about $18 million to get those guys signed and upgrade their roster. Let’s, uh, hope they spend it this time.

Thanks given by:
I did read about a 81M cap 2 days a go.
Thanks given by:
(2018-03-21, 07:15 PM)OilWings Wrote: I did read about a 81M cap 2 days a go.

80 would be huge for this team. Anything more would be just gravy. Lol

Thanks given by:
I've been operating on the assumption that it would be in the $80M range for a while now.

The higher the better but, even in the $80M range, the Oilers still can't add a material player $4M plus without disposing of salary (after factoring in signing the RFAs they want to keep - Strome, Nurse, Benning, maybe one or two of Pak, Slep, Caggulia - they need 23 players on the roster).
Thanks given by:
Let's say...

- Nurse $ 4.5 million (hopefully less)
- Strome $ 3 million (hopefully less)
How much will Benning, Caggulia & Slepyshev command?

I doubt any one of them gets much more than $1 million per season. Maybe $1.5 million for Benning

That could put us around $73 million give or take. After a terrible season like this, Chiarelli can & should be lowballing every single RFA

There's room to add a good player or 2
Thanks given by:
I don't think that's really true.

I've got the following team with a cap hit of $76.1M plus Pouliot's buyout of $1.3M = $77.4M. This has Puljijarvi at $925K which doesn't take in to account any bonuses he may hit. So, essentially, we are closing in on $80M without any additions. This has re-singing:

Benning - $1.5M
Caggulia - $1M
Slep - $1M
Pak - $1M
Nurse - $4.5M

Maybe we don't bring back all those tweeners but, even if we don't, we need to fill the roster spot and I've given them essentially their qualifying offers except for Nurse and Benning. Any replacement of the tweeners will cost at least as much, likely more.

This lineup also includes Yamamoto for $925K.

Essentially, we can't acquire anyone material without dipsoing of cap.

Nuge/McDavid/Yamamoto
Slep/Drai/Aberg
Lucic/Strome/Puljijarvi
Caggulia/Khaira/Kassian

Malone/Pak

Nurse/Larsson
Klef/Benning
Sekera/Russell

Auvitu

Talbot
Montoya
Thanks given by:
Be nice if it goes up 5.   

No idea where Nurse comes in.  The way he was playing offense and jumping in earlier for that 15 game stretch I was thinking 5-5.5 in a longer deal,  I do think now they will bridge him at 3.5 ish for 2 or attempt to.   Now if he wants long term I seriously doubt they pay him more than Klef.

I doubt that PC. Could move either of Sekera or Russell this summer . Sekera with that injury would get us nothing, and no way Russel moves his clause this year.

Read a good blurb on trading Sekera next summer as he has to give 15 teams.  Pretty sure he will be traded next summer and let’s hope he comes back strong. 

Russel can’t be moved till the summer after and has to give 10 teams.

I do think the Oil are going to take a D man this draft for sure now if the 1st Especially if they win a 1. It will be Dahlin and a 2 or 3 will be a Bouchard . I think either of those 2 could be on the team next year.   If we are drafting 7-10. I think they will take one of Boqvist or Hughes if they are there.   If those D are all gone then I think they would take Wahlstrom before Smith or Dobson though

Draft will be fun and I hope we make some moves, but not Nuge.   I am still scared this clown trades him and f,s us up even more

Going to be a looooong summer 

GO JETS   Cheering for the Peg.  Like the team, good fans and luv Maurice
Thanks given by:
(2018-03-22, 06:36 AM)Pouzar Wrote: I don't think that's really true.

I've got the following team with a cap hit of $76.1M plus Pouliot's buyout of $1.3M = $77.4M.  This has Puljijarvi at $925K which doesn't take in to account any bonuses he may hit.  So, essentially, we are closing in on $80M without any additions.  This has re-singing:

Benning - $1.5M
Caggulia - $1M
Slep - $1M
Pak - $1M
Nurse - $4.5M

Maybe we don't bring back all those tweeners but, even if we don't, we need to fill the roster spot and I've given them essentially their qualifying offers except for Nurse and Benning.  Any replacement of the tweeners will cost at least as much, likely more.

This lineup also includes Yamamoto for $925K.

Essentially, we can't acquire anyone material without dipsoing of cap.

Nuge/McDavid/Yamamoto
Slep/Drai/Aberg
Lucic/Strome/Puljijarvi
Caggulia/Khaira/Kassian

Malone/Pak

Nurse/Larsson
Klef/Benning
Sekera/Russell

Auvitu

Talbot
Montoya

Lets hope the D is healthy and our Top 4 take a developmental step forward.  Otherwise, we could be in trouble as that forward group really needs some offensive catalysts on D to overcome their lack of offensive acumen.
Thanks given by:
(2018-03-22, 09:08 AM)maclintock Wrote: Be nice if it goes up 5.   

No idea where Nurse comes in.  The way he was playing offense and jumping in earlier for that 15 game stretch I was thinking 5-5.5 in a longer deal,  I do think now they will bridge him at 3.5 ish for 2 or attempt to.   Now if he wants long term I seriously doubt they pay him more than Klef.

I doubt that PC. Could move either of Sekera or Russell this summer . Sekera with that injury would get us nothing, and no way Russel moves his clause this year.

Read a good blurb on trading Sekera next summer as he has to give 15 teams.  Pretty sure he will be traded next summer and let’s hope he comes back strong. 

Russel can’t be moved till the summer after and has to give 10 teams.

I do think the Oil are going to take a D man this draft for sure now if the 1st Especially if they win a 1. It will be Dahlin and a 2 or 3 will be a Bouchard . I think either of those 2 could be on the team next year.   If we are drafting 7-10. I think they will take one of Boqvist or Hughes if they are there.   If those D are all gone then I think they would take Wahlstrom before Smith or Dobson though

Draft will be fun and I hope we make some moves, but not Nuge.   I am still scared this clown trades him and f,s us up even more

Going to be a looooong summer 

GO JETS   Cheering for the Peg.  Like the team, good fans and luv Maurice

Nurse is fast and can really rush the puck.  Sadly, he doesn\t know what to do with the puck once his lugged it down the ice  Icon_rolleyes
Thanks given by:
Agreed - for a while there, Nurse looked like he was taking a step forward with respect to positive plays once he got across the blue line, however, that was somewhat short lived as he's regressed back in that area.

Doesn't mean it won't come eventually, development is a process, but he definitely doesn't have great offensive instincts, at least off the rush.
Thanks given by: