Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The New Playoff Chokers
Personally I don't buy in to the verbal that teams are playoff chokers - the 2 month tournament leading to the Stanley Cup is about as grueling as it gets in sports, at least as I know them.  Injuries, hot/cold goaltending (one player), etc. can have a masive effect and win/lose series.

For the last decade or so the teams that come to mind as great regular season teams that just couldn't take it home in the playoffs have been Washington and San Jose.  Well, Washington peeled off the label last year and San Jose seemed on their way this year until their team got decimated by injuries in a hurry.

My votes for current "playoff chokers" - Nashville Predators (runner up - Winnipeg Jets).
Thanks given by:
what's a chocker?
cfl
Thanks given by:
Oops - good thing I have a legal assistant and associates to do all my work.....
Thanks given by: MisterZ
Definitely the Sharks for me. They've made the conference finals so many times and only made the cup finals once. It's so annoying now lol. I'm tired of them being so good, i hope they end up declining really soon.

Nashville has one more season to go deep until I start looking at them as chokers.

I was going to say Tampa, but they made the finals in recent memory and probably are decent bets to at least make the conference finals next year (unless the playoffs are as weird as this year)
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
The sharks didn't choke this year, they were broken.
Thanks given by: Bong13
Sharks are still the NHL's version of the Buffalo Bill's until they prove they aren't

Preds & Jets definitely deserve honourable mention.

What do we call teams like Calgary & Toronto who keep getting knocked out in round 1?
Thanks given by:
Flames don't count for me as, aside from this year, they haven't been a top team.

NSH and WIN have been top teams in the Western Conference for what seems like years, in particular NSH, but never go anywhere in the playoffs.
Thanks given by:
I was thinking of the big trading teams - SJS for Karlsson, STL for O'Reilly, NSH for Boyle & Simmonds, CBJ

Some big swings, some hits and misses there.
Thanks given by:
Sharks have made the playoffs 17 times during this century and have consistently been one of the top teams in the league throughout that time.  That's very impressive despite not making it all the way.  As a fan of a team that's been crap  for most of that time I'm still envious even of their success.

Thanks given by:
(2019-05-21, 09:46 PM)cflisthebest Wrote: what's a chocker?

School teacher with a blackboard.

Do schools still have them ?
 Proverbs 13:10
Thanks given by: LordFerg13
I can't call the Leafs 'Chokers' because of the heat that will come 'unto me'

Vancouver, I think, is the biggest choke job in the NHL.

Ahead 3 games to 1 against the Wild.. Then dropped 3 in a row

Ahead 2 games to zip over the Wings, then drop 4 straight.

Nursing a 2 goal lead going into the third, and blowing it, by turning chicken. Any season, every season.. then a PP that can't put one in.. EVER.

I don't think we choked against Boston in 2011, but we were sure jinxed with injuries. I cannot remember any finalist who started round 4 with more injuries than Vancouver had to it's key players in 2011.. and I'm thinking back to when the Leafs actually won 4 cups in a single decade

For you who weren't born yet, the years were 62-3-4 and 1967
 Proverbs 13:10
Thanks given by:
Winnipeg barely has a history of making the playoffs to be considered a choker. They made it to the conference finals last season and lost as a 4th seed to the 5th seed in round 1 this season which wasn’t a huge upset. Their only other playoff appearance was 5 seasons ago getting swept as an 8th seed in the first round, again, not an upset or unexpected.
Thanks given by:
Leafs have lost in the first round three years in a row, but to be fair, they've also been the lower-seeded team in every single series and have gone to game 6 once and game 7 twice.

I think if they lose in the first round again next year, they'll definitely have obtained that status though. Partially it's the stupid divisional system, but at the end of the day, if you're a ~100 point team, even if you draw a higher seed opponent, you should win a series once every 2-3 tries.
Thanks given by:
Hmmm, is that right?

I haven't checked but my mind has led me to believe that they've been a top team in the west for like 3-4 years ago but kept getting upset in the playoffs - like Nashville. Maybe I'm making that up.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-22, 11:17 PM)LeafalCrusader Wrote: Sharks have made the playoffs 17 times during this century and have consistently been one of the top teams in the league throughout that time.  That's very impressive despite not making it all the way.  As a fan of a team that's been crap  for most of that time I'm still envious even of their success.

Regular season doesn't mean diddly to me and while making the playoffs would be awesome Wink 17 years and no cup with the teams they have had is a different kind of torture. Just playoffs wears off. I've been through that scenario although I am looking forward to the day when it does wear thin again Wink Just not nearly as long as the sharks than you .

Thanks given by:
They keep choking on that broken stick in the Shark's mouth. 

Choking is literally part of their logo. It is now their identity. It was meant to be.
N
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-29, 03:08 PM)Pouzar Wrote: Hmmm, is that right?

I haven't checked but my mind has led me to believe that they've been a top team in the west for like 3-4 years ago but kept getting upset in the playoffs - like Nashville.   Maybe I'm making that up.

Yeah, Jets have only made the playoffs 3 times since their return, once several years ago and were swept by a very strong Anaheim team, they weren't expected to win that series.

Last year they lost in the Conf finals, lost to a surprising Vegas team
This year they were a 2 seed in the Central to St.Louis's 3 seed, and lost. 

So, not sure they should be included in this list, at least, not yet anyway.
Thanks given by:
Solid points raised, I think top seeds routinely losing to lower seeds before making the finals is a good way to measure "choking"
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-30, 10:17 AM)bicboi Wrote: Solid points raised, I think top seeds routinely losing to lower seeds before making the finals is a good way to measure "choking"

I'm going with the Nashville Predators and take the Jets off the table (I've been shown the facts and my mind was mis-remembering).
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-29, 02:52 AM)Highstyx Wrote:
(2019-05-21, 09:46 PM)cflisthebest Wrote: what's a chocker?

School teacher with a blackboard.

Do schools still have them ?

That would be a chalker
My life is based on a true story
Thanks given by: