Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Perfect Movie
Like many people I have often been very pumped to see a particular movie and while sometimes I leave disappointed, more often I will enjoy the film but feel that it did not live up to the lofty expectations that I had set for it or that there are things like casting, or writing that were not ideal.

That said, on rare occasions there have been movies that I have seen that have exceeded my every expectation where the casting, music, effects, writing, and screenplay are perfect or as close to perfect as can be achieved and I would not have changed a thing had I been the director. Are there any movies that others have thought have met this lofty standard?

Two that come to mind for me are Avengers: Infinity War and Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
Liberty And Justice For Most.
Thanks given by:
The first two Godfathers are flawless. Hell Or High Water has stuck with me too. Just a well crafted story.
Thanks given by:
That's easy.

The perfect movie, to me, is one that completely tells the story it intends to tell, or explores its themes, without any extraneous filler. The actors need to be perfectly cast and operating at peak performance. Cinematography and effects have to perfectly complement the film. And sound and music have to be perfect.

It doesn't really matter the genre. Doesn't have to be high brow. A great action movie might be closer to perfect than a mediocre gay cowboy eating pudding movie, because the action movie better achieves its aims.

That leaves us a few movies that are close to perfect. Movies like Jaws or Empire Strikes Back jump to mind.

But the king of all movies - that which perfectly achieves its aims, without going too far or holding back too much, with perfect casting, story, and momentum -

Die Hard
"Hope is not a strategy"
Thanks given by:
The Raid
Back to the Future
John Wick
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Silence of the Lambs
"when the lights come on this whole place gets ugly"
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-15, 11:29 AM)HockeyHippy Wrote: That's easy.

The perfect movie, to me, is one that completely tells the story it intends to tell, or explores its themes, without any extraneous filler. The actors need to be perfectly cast and operating at peak performance. Cinematography and effects have to perfectly complement the film. And sound and music have to be perfect.

It doesn't really matter the genre. Doesn't have to be high brow. A great action movie might be closer to perfect than a mediocre gay cowboy eating pudding movie, because the action movie better achieves its aims.

That leaves us a few movies that are close to perfect. Movies like Jaws or Empire Strikes Back jump to mind.

But the king of all movies - that which perfectly achieves its aims, without going too far or holding back too much, with perfect casting, story, and momentum -

Die Hard

Even by your criteria, it's not Die Hard. There were a few wasted scenes that served either no purpose or forced the story into the direction it needed to take.
Thanks given by:
Snatch
If you take everything I’ve accomplished in my life and condense it down to one day, it looks decent! George Costanza
Thanks given by:
For me, its the Usual Suspects.

fantastic film, amazing storytelling, massive twist.

never tire of watching it.
Thanks given by:
I disagree Zappa, Reginald VelJohnson's explanation of Twinkie ingredients is valuable exposition.
Thanks given by:
Is there boobs?  Perfect!
Thanks given by:
The Shawshank Redemption.
Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol.

It's a tie between those 2.
Thanks given by:
To me it's The Big Lebowski.
I love a lot of movies, but not a lot of movies don't have the rewatchability (yeah I made that word up) of The Big Lebowski.
O' for a good life, we just might have to weaken
Thanks given by:
Most movies by Michael Mann, notably
Heat
Collateral
Thanks given by:
Perfection is a meaningless concept regarding creative works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089798/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-15, 04:09 PM)The poppabyrd Wrote: I disagree Zappa, Reginald VelJohnson's explanation of Twinkie ingredients is valuable exposition.

It was a subtle metaphor, how we all have a shelf life. Except for John.
Thanks given by:
Lol I still can't understand the dialogue in these movies. In DH2 when they talk about pissing in pools & being out of chlorine I remember being utterly baffled as a kid.
Thanks given by:
If I remember correctly, in the second one, they saved the best dialogue for the ‘splosions.
Thanks given by:
Perfect movies, eh?
Here's my list:
Rom/com: When Harry Met Sally
Fantasy/com: The Princess Bride
Drama: The Shawshank Redemption
Sci-fi: A Boy and His Dog (Don Johnson years before Miami Vice)
Fantasy: LOTR- The Fellowship of the Ring (theatrical version)
Action: Lethal Weapon
Thanks given by:
Princess Bride is great, but I would love it if they updated the score.
Thanks given by: