Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Random Stat thread....
It's always funny seeing a high strikeout rate along with a high OBP. Intuitively, it seems like players who can take a walk shouldn't be swinging and missing so much, right?

To that end, I ran a report at Fangraphs with a couple filters. Players with a career K% of 25% or higher and an OBP of .350 or higher. It's a pretty short list:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?po...69&players=

Mike Napoli
Giancarlo Stanton
Adam Dunn
Kris Bryant
Tim Jordan
George Springer
Jack Cust
Craig Wilson
Thanks given by:
Jack Cust? Would have never guessed that
Thanks given by:
Cust is one of those players that I wish played when Statcast existed. Not exactly the most memorable of careers, but I could see him landing high on the leaderboard in exit velocity. His home splits at the spacious Coliseum from 2007-09 were pretty impressive:

http://www.fangraphs.com/splitstool.aspx...0-4&filter=

.265/.408/.514
.922 OPS
.249 ISO
152 wRC+

For comparison's sake, Josh Donaldson's OPS in his final season in Oakland was .798 and his wRC+ was 130.
Thanks given by:
I could be wrong but doesnt Cust have the record for K's in a season (or did at one point).
Thanks given by:
He came close but that distinction belongs to Mark Reynolds with 223. Mike Dunn a close 2nd with 222.
Thanks given by:
My mistake. Cust set the AL record for K's.
Thanks given by:
There are 18 people in baseball history that have a career ERA of infinity. Meaning they allowed at least one run without recording a single out in their career.

The most extreme case belongs to Doc Hamann. In 1922 the  22 year old pitcher made his MLB debut for the Cleveland Indians. He faced 7 batters that day. He walked 3, gave up 3 hits and hit another (and threw a wild pitch) allowing 6 earned runs in the process before he was pulled without recording a single out. 

He never threw another pitch in the majors again and he still holds the record for most batters faced in a career without recording an out.
Thanks given by:
(2017-03-20, 07:19 PM)Andrew Wrote: He never threw another pitch in the majors again and he still holds the record for most batters faced in a career without recording an out.

In all the records, in all the sports, I truly believe I could challenge that one.
Thanks given by:
(2017-03-21, 12:17 PM)ZappaScores Wrote:
(2017-03-20, 07:19 PM)Andrew Wrote: He never threw another pitch in the majors again and he still holds the record for most batters faced in a career without recording an out.

In all the records, in all the sports, I truly believe I could challenge that one.

don't know man i think you might get yanked after the third batter in todays game lol
Thanks given by:
gotta be good enough to get there in the first place.

harder to do today, than in '22.
Thanks given by:
Ted Williams played his last season at age 42. He played 113 games and had 390 PA's.

He posted a 184 wRC+.
Thanks given by:
That was technically his age 41 season but even so... It was the greatest season in history by a player 40 years or older in terms of wRC+.

Next best was, remarkably, David Ortiz's 2016 season (163 wRC+).

Minimum 350 PA: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?po...&sort=18,d
Thanks given by:
(2017-04-08, 06:54 PM)shadylane Wrote: That was technically his age 41 season but even so... It was the greatest season in history by a player 40 years or older in terms of wRC+.

Next best was, remarkably, David Ortiz's 2016 season (163 wRC+).

Minimum 350 PA: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?po...&sort=18,d

Nice. Winfield's 92 season for the Jays cracks the Top 10.
Thanks given by:
Since his first full season in 2012 Mike Trout has accumulated 50.3 fWAR.  The next closest in that time span is Josh Donaldson. He trails Trout by 17.7 wins. The gap between Trout and second place is the same size as the gap between 2nd place and 58th place.

If you combine the WAR of any two players ranked lower than 9th, Trout still beats them.

Even if you expand the time period to 2007, giving everyone basically a 5 year head start on Trout, there is still only one guy with a higher fWAR than Trout. Its Miguel Cabrera with 53.9.
Thanks given by:
If they want to compare Harper to someone maybe they should compare him to Machado, not Mike Trout. Because Harper is not even in Trout's level - no one is.

Thanks given by: