Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Score: Report: Encarnacion seeking 5-year, $125M deal
(2016-11-10, 02:07 PM)shadylane Wrote: Personally I see Boston going a different route for their DH spot. They have Hanley at 1B and if Moncada's defense at 3B doesn't improve they'll need a spot for him. Pedroia blocks him at 2B and Betts, JBJ and Benintendi block him in the OF.

I just don't see them shelling out $100M to EE leaving Moncada without a spot in the lineup.

This is basically what I have been saying ever since these EE to Boston rumours started. It really does not make a whole lot of sense for them to sign him. Ortiz retiring gives them a flexibility they have not had in a decade and at a time they really need that flexibility (remember Sandoval is still around as well).
Thanks given by:
Travis Shaw didn't have a terrible first full season in the bigs either, he'll still be 26 on Opening Day. The more you think about it, the less sense it makes really.
Thanks given by:
At some point Blue Jay management needs to put their money where their mouth is or they risk alienating the fan base.
I think they had the highest attendance in the league this year didn't they?
That will drop off if the Jays lose EE and JB without replacing them AND they don't do as well in the standings.
Thanks given by:
I say pay the man what he wants, there's no cap and it's not my money. He's too popular to let go. Obviously if he wants to leave, nothings stopping him, but it would sure be heartbreaking seeing him in a Red Sox jersey.
Thanks given by:
No league cap, but every team has their own cap on what they can spend.  And bad contracts will f you up down the road.  Notice how the yanks haven't been big players in free agency the past year or two?  Too many bad contracts to get out from underneath of.

I do think the jays can sign EE tho if he doesn't go all bautista on them
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-10, 02:35 PM)Andrew Wrote:
(2016-11-10, 02:07 PM)shadylane Wrote: Personally I see Boston going a different route for their DH spot. They have Hanley at 1B and if Moncada's defense at 3B doesn't improve they'll need a spot for him. Pedroia blocks him at 2B and Betts, JBJ and Benintendi block him in the OF.

I just don't see them shelling out $100M to EE leaving Moncada without a spot in the lineup.

This is basically what I have been saying ever since these EE to Boston rumours started. It really does not make a whole lot of sense for them to sign him. Ortiz retiring gives them a flexibility they have not had in a decade and at a time they really need that flexibility (remember Sandoval is still around as well).
For a while yet unless they spend millions to buy him out. Talk about contracts!
Congratulations: You Are at the Right Place at the Right Time
Thanks given by:
Panda is not going to factor in what Boston does. They'll hope he bounces back but if he doesn't they'll write him off. He's never going to be worth what they paid him anyways. Right now they seem to be more interested in Beltran than EE, but if Beltran signs elsewhere I fully expect them to get back on the EE train.

There's also the possibility of Boston trading JBJ as part of a deal for an ace, which would open up a spot in the outfield for Moncada if they want to go that way. DD is a deal maker and I expect he's preparing to deal.
Thanks given by: