Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Sun: Do Shapiro & Atkins Need To Go?

Thanks given by:
Its the Sun so consider it a pure hate article and Simmons is a pure hack.

I mean it is a rebuild so Im not sure what he expects. I only wish it would have either happened sooner or the Jays would have went all in during their window. The middle inbetween approach was frustrating as a fan.

I'm looking forward to seeing the kids play this year and hoping we can parlay some vets into future assets.
Thanks given by:
Simmons sounded like someone who didn't really know what he was talking about
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
(2019-01-02, 12:24 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: Simmons sounded like someone who didn't really know what he was talking about

So his normal schtick.
Thanks given by:
Far and away the absolute worst sports journalist (and I use that term VERY loosely) in this country. If not the planet.

He's a know nothing schmuck. 50% of the membership here are more qualified to write a sports article than this idiot.
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
I have absolutely no respect for anything Simmons writes, but....I don't disagree with his negative views on the crew running the Jays at this point.

Not a bit of faith in these two. Very easy to dislike.
Thanks given by:
Steve Simmons is a drunk, post-game radio talk show caller who, for some reason, was given a platform to subject others to his asinine opinions. He is, objectively, the worst.

That said, I appreciate that Unreal is probably just trying to spur conversation in the forum. Shapiro's been on the job for what, 3 years? That's nothing in baseball executive terms. Hell, Shapiro just got Rogers to sign off on the Dunedin re-development a couple months ago. Atkins finally got a new coaching staff. The Jays were still making changes to their pro scouting department as recently as September. Bo Bichette, the crown jewel of their draft record to date, still has yet to play in AAA. Shit takes time.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-03, 02:03 AM)shadylane Wrote: Steve Simmons is a drunk, post-game radio talk show caller who, for some reason, was given a platform to subject others to his asinine opinions. He is, objectively, the worst.

That said, I appreciate that Unreal is probably just trying to spur conversation in the forum. Shapiro's been on the job for what, 3 years? That's nothing in baseball executive terms. Hell, Shapiro just got Rogers to sign off on the Dunedin re-development a couple months ago. Atkins finally got a new coaching staff. The Jays were still making changes to their pro scouting department as recently as September. Bo Bichette, the crown jewel of their draft record to date, still has yet to play in AAA. Shit takes time.

No way! I'm trolling Wink

I agree - it's way too early to pass judgement on the overall job they've done.

The team they inherited was good, but old and trending down. It's not much of a surprise they are where they are.
Thanks given by:
The fact that someone felt the need to ask this question After only 3 years is proof they arent worth reading/watching.
Thanks given by:
I never read or watch Simmons anymore, don't want to contribute to him having a job.

I do fully agree that management made a major error by waiting to blow it up. We clearly had a very very old declining team, and they used bandaid solutions that IMO really had no realistic chance of maintaining our contender status. An aggressive retool/rebuild a year earlier when our guys had a lot more value would have us in a MUCH better position today, and it's not like last two seasons would have been much worse than they already were.
Thanks given by: Sportking
I disagree with that assessment.

They had just come off of back to back playoff years, with every chance to make the playoffs again in '17, and they were predicted to do so. That they didn't, doesn't mean it wasn't worth the shot.

Its easy to look back in hindsight, and say what they should have done, but coming off of 2016, there was no reason to blow it up.
Thanks given by: shadylane
(2019-01-12, 11:00 AM)tmleafer Wrote: I never read or watch Simmons anymore, don't want to contribute to him having a job.

I do fully agree that management made a major error by waiting to blow it up. We clearly had a very very old declining team, and they used bandaid solutions that IMO really had no realistic chance of maintaining our contender status. An aggressive retool/rebuild a year earlier when our guys had a lot more value would have us in a MUCH better position today, and it's not like last two seasons would have been much worse than they already were.

The other 29 teams were aware of that too. I'm skeptical that the returns would've been much better than they ended up being, with the exception of Donaldson.

And regardless of that, it would've been an impossibly tough sell to fans after the team just made the ALCS two years in a row. Imagine the hate for Atkins and Shapiro then had they dismantled Alex "The Savour" Anthopoulos' roster before finding out how the 2017 season would've played out.
Thanks given by:
Yeah I like how its somehow the new front offices fault that the previous front office left them pretty much a dumpster fire in waiting.
Thanks given by:
Atkins and Shapiro have only been in Toronto for 3 full seasons and ALREADY people want them gone....?

What, because they haven't already built this team into a dynasty they should be fired, is that it now?
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-12, 03:26 PM)Andrew Wrote: Yeah I like how its somehow the new front offices fault that the previous front office left them pretty much a dumpster fire in waiting.

Just because it was a dumpster fire didnt mean they had to go dumpster diving either though. I think fans would have appreciated a quicker sell off and maybe a little more clarity rather than the whole "we are going to contend" rhetoric that was thrown out at the time. I dont think management believed that nor did the fans but i guess it's hard when you want to increase ticket prices and are blowing up your team at the same time

That all said I think we are all glad the rebuild is now here so that we can focus on some of the young talent coming up.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-12, 03:42 PM)ckendall Wrote: Atkins and Shapiro have only been in Toronto for 3 full seasons and ALREADY people want them gone....?

Not 'people', just one person, who happens to be an effing incompetent idiot journalist.
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-12, 03:59 PM)Sportking Wrote:
(2019-01-12, 03:26 PM)Andrew Wrote: Yeah I like how its somehow the new front offices fault that the previous front office left them pretty much a dumpster fire in waiting.

Just because it was a dumpster fire didnt mean they had to go dumpster diving either though. I think fans would have appreciated a quicker sell off and maybe a little more clarity rather than the whole "we are going to contend" rhetoric that was thrown out at the time. I dont think management believed that nor did the fans but i guess it's hard when you want to increase ticket prices and are blowing up your team at the same time

That all said I think we are all glad the rebuild is now here so that we can focus on some of the young talent coming up.

*yawns* And if they did sell off you would have complaining aboutt that instead  Icon_rolleyes
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-12, 06:28 PM)Andrew Wrote:
(2019-01-12, 03:59 PM)Sportking Wrote:

*yawns* And if they did sell off you would have complaining aboutt that instead  Icon_rolleyes

LOL actually I have said this on multiple occasions.
Thanks given by:
Right. Cuz you didnt spend like two weeks calling Shapiro a bum (based on absolutely nothing what so ever) when he was hired and sanctifying AA. I'm sure you would have been totally cool with him tearing down the team almost immediately.  You are normally totally rational like that. Icon_rolleyes
Thanks given by: