Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Travel Thread...Part Deux
I bought 8 cans of beer & a 1.5 litre bottle of water at the store awhile ago for $21 Real,  which is $7.50 Canadian!

I love using the price of beer as a barometer for how much things cost when traveling & I've just found my all time lowest priced beer.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 10:33 AM)CTS Wrote: I bought 8 cans of beer & a 1.5 litre bottle of water at the store awhile ago for $21 Real,  which is $7.50 Canadian!

I love using the price of beer as a barometer for how much things cost when traveling & I've just found my all time lowest priced beer.

I also use beer and alcohol prices as a gauge as to how expensive a place is to visit.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 07:40 AM)CTS Wrote: I love how carefree Brazilians are.   You can walk around the streets drinking.   People are buying beer in the super market,  cracking it open right at the till & walking out.   Walking into shops with a beer in hand too!
Street vendors selling Capriniha's.

I've done that in most places I've travelled to, including lots of places in europe.  But also in New Orleans.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 10:33 AM)CTS Wrote: I bought 8 cans of beer & a 1.5 litre bottle of water at the store awhile ago for $21 Real,  which is $7.50 Canadian!

That actually doesn't sound super cheap.  About $1/beer at a store?  I can get close to that here in quebec grocery stores.

How much does beer cost a restaurant or pub?  And how much is craft beer vs domestic generic blond beers?

Balkans were even cheaper than Colombia last year.  I was in Kosovo at a really cool pub specializing in craft beer, and was only paying $1/beer.
Thanks given by:
Brazil is awesome! Left Sao Paolo yesterday & now on Ilha Grande. An ecological / protected island. No cars. Need to take water taxis to get around the Island.

Today we went to Lopes Mendes beach, which is supposed to be one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Took 40 minutes by taxi to arrive at the port. As we disembark everyone is walking into the forest. 'Where's everyone going i ask?'
'Oh this isn't Lopes Mendes, it's a 25 minute hike up the mountain & down the other side'

WTF?! If we had known this before we probably wouldn't have come because we're packing along 2 little kids & 3 bags full of shit. But i must say it was well worth the trip.

Hotter than hell, we're all sunburnt something fierce. Rio was +42 yesterday while driving from the airport

The best part of Brazil is without a doubt the people. Everyone is so friendly & happy to help. Hardly anyone speaks English but even in restaurants & shops everyone is super patient while we're struggling to translate. Lots asking where we're from. Usually people from big cities are snobbish or stuck up given my experiences in big NA cities like New York & Toronto. Not Sao Paulo. As we've been finding out it's more to do with their culture. Just phenomenal people.

I love it here![Image: ea39ffdfceee97a9aa04aedfad46207c.jpg]

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Reminds me of my travels through colombia
Thanks given by:
Very cool - we were/are planning to Mexico City over the holidays this year but, if my wife can get approved for the week before or after the free week (when the University is closed for 7-9 days), we will probably head to Brazil.
Thanks given by:
Beer is €0.60 per can.  We're drinking a top 100 ranked 2017 wine in Europe from Portugal ...€3.50 per bottle.  It's extremely economical to sin in Portugal.

Lisboa is a lovely, welcoming, colourful, diverse large city with a Mediterranean climate.  I'm falling in love with the city...sorry Toronto.
"Feeling silly and sublime", most of the time.
Thanks given by:
Added a new country to my list this week. Was in Manila, Philippines this week for a couple days for work. 

Not a very inspiring place. Man did the missionaries and Americans have their way there. Place is completely overrun by churches and American chain restaurants. 

City seems to be either all slums or non descript new development areas, not much discernible character, though I did have a limited visit. Maybe there is more to see

That being said I did get in a Tim Hortons fix.
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 09:55 AM)himmelblau Wrote: Added a new country to my list this week. Was in Manila, Philippines this week for a couple days for work. 

Not a very inspiring place. Man did the missionaries and Americans have their way there. Place is completely overrun by churches and American chain restaurants. 

City seems to be either all slums or non descript new development areas, not much discernible character, though I did have a limited visit. Maybe there is more to see

Ah, the Philippines.  Top exporters to Canada of nannies and brides...sometimes both simultaneously.
Thanks given by:
(6 hours ago)Arsenal Wrote:
(Yesterday, 09:55 AM)himmelblau Wrote: Added a new country to my list this week. Was in Manila, Philippines this week for a couple days for work. 

Ah, the Philippines.  Top exporters to Canada of nannies and brides...sometimes both simultaneously.

Having lived and travelled extensively throughout the Middle East and Asia, I always half jokingly wondered if there were any women left in the Philippines, given their proliferation elsewhere as nannies and helpers. There are still some there Happy

I also wondered what all the men do, which I found out. In Manila there is a security guard every 50 metres. They are literally everywhere. At malls, hotels, intersections, parking garages, random corners. We were flying a drone for work and went up to the 4th Level of a parking garage a,d there were two of them up there even though the place was empty. They didn’t care about the drone which was good, but also raised the question. What the hell do they care about?
Thanks given by:
Just booked a week on Sao Miguel in the Azores. We leave in three weeks.

Can't wait!
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by: Mavid , Mavid
(4 hours ago)Limestoner Wrote: Just booked a week on Sao Miguel in the Azores. We leaved in three weeks.

Can't wait!

Congrats, and well done sir.  We've looked at that also, given the Portuguese connection, but the cost of a flight seems to be roughly the same from either Toronto, or Lisbon, so we'll save The Azores for an entirely separate experience.

It looks gorgeous.  Have fun.
Thanks given by:
(5 hours ago)himmelblau Wrote:
(6 hours ago)Arsenal Wrote:

Having lived and travelled extensively throughout the Middle East and Asia, I always half jokingly wondered if there were any women left in the Philippines, given their proliferation elsewhere as nannies and helpers. There are still some there Happy

I also wondered what all the men do, which I found out. In Manila there is a security guard every 50 metres. They are literally everywhere. At malls, hotels, intersections, parking garages, random corners. We were flying a drone for work and went up to the 4th Level of a parking garage a,d there were two of them up there even though the place was empty. They didn’t care about the drone which was good, but also raised the question. What the hell do they care about?
The data only goes to 2016, but it looks like 800 Canadian men marry Filipino women per year!

....and many Canadian children head off to their first day of JK with Filipino accents.
Thanks given by: