Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Travel Thread...Part Deux
(2019-04-18, 11:23 AM)ZappaScores Wrote:
(2019-04-17, 03:17 PM)Reggie Wrote: Going up to the Lake lot tomorrow to officially open up. Went last week but the weather was awful, so we sat around the fire watching playoffs, making sure the Beer and Rum tasted the same...This weekend looks great so Finishing the Bunk house and getting everything ready for every weekend and the Summer off spent out there

Nice, what do you have to do to it? All prep or will there be some relaxation?

De winterized the Trailer, drank beer, insulated the Bunk House, drank beer, re levelled  the deck and trailer, drank beer, built wood shed, drank beer, raked up leaves and mowed yard, drank beer, Playoff games, drank Rum...
Thanks given by:
My wife's birthday at the end of June is one day after our anniversary. I just realized, its our 10th year anniversary.

I just booked us flights to Chicago for the Canada Day long weekend. Leave early Thursday morning and come back on the Monday.

She was in Chicago for a stag a few years ago but I've never been.

Unfortunately Cubs are on the road so no Wrigley for me.

Is Comiskey and the White Sox worth it?

Don't think there is any other sports going on that time of year.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-14, 01:01 PM)Pouzar Wrote: My wife's birthday at the end of June is one day after our anniversary.  I just realized, its our 10th year anniversary.  

I just booked us flights to Chicago for the Canada Day long weekend.   Leave early Thursday morning and come back on the Monday.

I've been to Chicago a few times and the CUbs were never in town. I went to a White Sox game just to go, I'm not really a baseball fan at al but like to catch some sort of game whenever I travel. I enjoyed it. Mind you the only other baseball stadium I have been to is old Yankee stadium so it wasn't as good as that but I had a good time. We ended up in a sports bar at one point that had glass looking into the opposition bullpen. That was a bit of fun joingin the locals in yelling at Mariano Rivera.
Thanks given by: Pouzar
(2019-05-14, 01:31 PM)bfitz77 Wrote:
(2019-05-14, 01:01 PM)Pouzar Wrote: My wife's birthday at the end of June is one day after our anniversary.  I just realized, its our 10th year anniversary.  

I just booked us flights to Chicago for the Canada Day long weekend.   Leave early Thursday morning and come back on the Monday.

I've been to Chicago a few times and the CUbs were never in town. I went to a White Sox game just to go, I'm not really a baseball fan at al but like to catch some sort of game whenever I travel. I enjoyed it. Mind you the only other baseball stadium I have been to is old Yankee stadium so it wasn't as good as that but I had a good time. We ended up in a sports bar at one point that had glass looking into the opposition bullpen. That was a bit of fun joingin the locals in yelling at Mariano Rivera.

White Sox tickets are a whole lot cheaper the. The cubs.    I went to the Jays at Cubs series a couple years ago, wanted to do a white Sox game too but they were out of town.

Don't know if you eat pizza but try the deep dish pizza in Chicago.   I'm sure you can have a cheat day Wink

I'll admit I didn't do much in Chicago while I was there, so can't recommend the touristy stuff other the Navy Pier which I thought was boring.
Thanks given by:
Also if you watch Chicago fire, then you might want to hit up Lottie's Bar, it is Molly's on the show. The bar is bigger in real life then they show on the show
Thanks given by:
Thanks - nope, won't be hitting up Chicago Deep Dish (which I hear is terrible anyways) - if I was to have pizza, not my style, prefer thinner crust (pretentious-style) pizza.

There is no such thing as a cheat day - refeed days when cutting, mind you.
Thanks given by:
My buddy and I visited Firehouse 51 from Chicago Fire (not actually 51)...that was cool.

We did a tour of Soldier Field. Not sure if they offer one for Wrigley.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-14, 07:17 PM)Moe Szyslak Wrote: My buddy and I visited Firehouse 51 from Chicago Fire (not actually 51)...that was cool.

We did a tour of Soldier Field.  Not sure if they offer one for Wrigley.

They offer tours of Wrigley Field.  I got the gameday tour early in the morning.   Since the cubs are out of town, as you say Pouzer, then you can get a better tour that includes the clubhouse too I believe.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-14, 05:59 PM)Pouzar Wrote: Thanks - nope, won't be hitting up Chicago Deep Dish (which I hear is terrible anyways) - if I was to have pizza, not my style, prefer thinner crust (pretentious-style) pizza.

There is no such thing as a cheat day - refeed days when cutting, mind you
They are lots of high quality restaurants in Chicago, you will just have to do research

I didn't get a chance to go when I was there, but I would recommend the Art Institute of Chicago's they are very well reviewed.
I need to go back to Chicago on a non baseball trip lol.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-14, 07:24 PM)MDMN1017 Wrote:
(2019-05-14, 07:17 PM)Moe Szyslak Wrote: My buddy and I visited Firehouse 51 from Chicago Fire (not actually 51)...that was cool.

We did a tour of Soldier Field.  Not sure if they offer one for Wrigley.

They offer tours of Wrigley Field.  I got the gameday tour early in the morning.   Since the cubs are out of town, as you say Pouzer, then you can get a better tour that includes the clubhouse too I believe.

Yup, already on my mental list.

Moe - good thought about Soldier Field - not sure I can get the wife to do two but, given they are both historic venues (Wrigley in particular), maybe.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-14, 07:28 PM)MDMN1017 Wrote:
(2019-05-14, 05:59 PM)Pouzar Wrote: Thanks - nope, won't be hitting up Chicago Deep Dish (which I hear is terrible anyways) - if I was to have pizza, not my style, prefer thinner crust (pretentious-style) pizza.

There is no such thing as a cheat day - refeed days when cutting, mind you
They are lots of high quality restaurants in Chicago, you will just have to do research

I didn't get a chance to go when I was there, but I would recommend the Art Institute of Chicago's they are very well reviewed.
I need to go back to Chicago on a non baseball trip lol.

Yup, not sure where we'll go for dinner on our anniversary (I haven't done any food research yet) but it'll be some sort of high end vegetarian restaurant I'm sure (or maybe for that will be for the wife's birthday - she is vegan).

Art institute is right up her ally.

The architectural river cruise (which she did when she was there) is on the list.

Pride parade is happening - that will be a crazy event and party I'm sure.
Thanks given by:
Driving out to Kelowna for the long weekend
Thanks given by:
Off to Tokyo for a 3 day break from the kids at the end of the month.
Pouz any recommendations from your recent trip, specifically your food splurges?
Thanks given by:
Himm, not ignoring, will give some ideas a bit later.
Thanks given by:
First and foremost, my suggestion is to get on the train and head to Kyoto – whereas, in my opinion, Tokyo is indeed awesome, Kyoto is absolutely sensational – one of my favorite cities I have been to for sure.

Just kidding, obviously, Tokyo for a few days will be amazing as well.

As far as food, if you like sushi I would suggest, if its within your budget, to hit up a Michelin 2-star sushi restaurant for a meal. I mean, you are in Tokyo, it’s a once in a lifetime type experience. These places are small, essentially 6-8 people sitting at the “bar” and you need to reserve in advance through a reservation service (I can provide details if you are interested).

It was an amazing experience watching a world renounced sushi master and his assistant create and serve a meal.

They are done as set menus, you don’t order anything but beverages.

Not going to lie to you man, its not cheap – it was Cdn.$380 for lunch plus I think it cost $75 to make the reservation.

As I said though, it’s the experience.

Let me know if its something you are interested in and I can provide details.

-----------------------------------------

If you want something totally “weird Japanese”, go see the “Robot Show” at the “Robot Restaurant” – this thing was totally wild. I’m still not sure what I watched but I loved it.

http://www.shinjuku-robot.com/

The Robot Restaurant is also near a famous drinking area called Shinjuku Golden Gai which is a number of small alleyways lined with what look like seedy bars – tiny bars that only fit like a handful of people – 200 or so of them. Even if you don’t go in to any to partake, its definitely worth a walk through.

-------------------------------------

Lots and lots of temples all over Japan and my fav in Tokyo was the Dempo-In temple and, morose, the area around it – lots and lots of vendors – essentially a real cool market of commerce leading up to it.

---------------------------------

Harajuku is definitely a neighborhood I’d make time to check out – its kind of a youth shopping area – tough to describe (like most things in Japan) but the people watching is amazing.

--------------------------------------------

Of course, the Imperial Palace which we didn’t actually get to go in to – NOTE: It closes early like most castles. The gardens around it are massive – we spent a few hours walking around the East Gardens which was nice.

--------------
There is the world’s busiest intersection at Shibuya Station.

Tip: if you look straight across from the Stabrucks there is kind of a raised pedway as part of the train station – head up there – great views of the chaos.

--------------------------------

This may sound lame but the new giant Starbucks Roastery – this is not just a starbucks – it’s a 5-story marvel and really really cool. We spent like 4 hours there on a rainy afternoon.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2019/0...N9D645Kg2w

------------------------------------

The Haknoe Open Air Museum – this was one of my favorite things in all of Japan and I totally didn't expect that – I can’t even put in to words the “art” that was there – pure Japanese random weirdness. It was my favorite “museum” of all time. Its in a “town” called Hakone but that’s not far from Tokyo and the 90-120 commute from Tokyo is well worth it. Check out my pics earlier in this thread – they will be some of the last ones as we were in Hakone for the last few days.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Pouz, I should have clarified this will be our third trip to Tokyo, so we have see many of the usual sites before.

Since our business class flights and hotel are free from miles, I'm ok to splurge on a michelin sushi experience, hit me with the name and I'll see if they have availaibility, I know some of these places you need to book months in advance so we maybe out of luck.

Last time we went we didn't book anything ahead, which was a mistake. We still did one of the sushi chef experiences, that was recommended by our concierge at the Fours Seasons, but it wasn't one of the world renowned ones. will try to make some reservations this week before we fly next saturday.
Thanks given by:
Yes, business class for international travel is a must and it proven invaluable on our way home from Tokyo given our original flight was eventually cancelled due to mechanical issues - the special treatment we got as compared to those in economy made the egregious cost worth it - god I hate the shitshow at airports - people change - business class essentially takes away most of the shitshow that goes on at airports and the plane experience is so much nicer.

Anyways, the place I went to is called Sushi Masuda and I made the reservation through Voyajin:

https://www.govoyagin.com/activities/jap...tokyo/4593
Thanks given by:
If you've seen all the "regular sites" and you haven't been to the Open Air Museum near Hanoke, I highly recommend looking in to it.
Thanks given by:
Just booked the Waldorf Astoria in Chicago with 120 sq ft terrace that looks to have a beautiful view.

Just booked us tickets to Hamilton on our anniversary - supposed to be just fantastic- don't have dinner reso's yet but its going to be a great night.

Things are getting a little pricey but its our 10th anniversary so, whatever!
Thanks given by: