Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ultimate Goal...
We all know about the ultimate goal... and no, I'm not talking about an overtime winner in game 57 between the Blues and the Preds... 

I'm talking the Stanley Cup... 

We can - and quite often do - go back and forth in here about:

Which player will win the Calder ???

Will the Leafs make the playoffs this year ???

Which player hits 50 first this year ???

It goes on and on and on and on.... and there's absolutely nothing wrong with these discussions...

But IMO, the only prize worthy of real discussion is the Cup... 

So, let's discuss...

And with absolutely total disrespect to the American teams and their fans , let's only concern ourselves with the Canadian teams right now. 

The Americans have more important things to worry about right now, like the Russians having dirty pictures of Trump... or the latest contestant to drop out of The Batchelor... or which Kardashian is wearing next to nothing at the Blah Blah Blah Awards show... 

So, without further ado, I will ask my fellow RATW members... 

Which Canadian team will be the first to hoist Lord Stanley's Mug ( thats for you AbD ) since the Habs did it in 93... 

Name your team, name the year they will win and add your comments... ( as if I had to remind you Wink  ).

I would ask members not to quibble, but that would just spoil the fun... So, go on and quibble... if you think someone is talking out of their arse, say so... but no bashing of the teams and no personal shit... Use that grey stuff that resides between your ears and try to stick to the RATW rules. 

Let me get it started... 

IMO, the first Canadian team to hoist the Cup since the Habs won it in 93... Will be...

The Habs... and they will win it in 2 years...  

As for my reasoning... Simple. IMO, they have the best Goalie in the league and when all is said and done, you cannot win a Cup without superior goal tending... Every team in Canada has some good young talent ( some more than others ), but when push comes to shove, I would put my money on Price and the Habs over McD and the Oilers, Matthews and the Leafs, Laine and the Jets...  etc etc etc...  The Habs have a good group of young forwards that can score and they have some solid and experienced DMen that can defend... that's it , that's all.

So, what say you???

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
A hot goaltender can win a team a playoff round, even two.

An elite goaltender that gets hot can win a team the Stanley Cup.

Cary Price is undoubtedly the best goaltender on any Canadian team.

I can make a case for other teams, however, its tough to bet against a team with such an elite tender (and a solid to much more than solid lineup).
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 05:36 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote: We all know about the ultimate goal... and no, I'm not talking about an overtime winner in game 57 between the Blues and the Preds... 

It goes on and on and on and on.... and there's absolutely nothing wrong with these discussions...

So, let's discuss...

And with absolutely total disrespect to the American teams and their fans , let's only concern ourselves with the Canadian teams right now. 

The Americans have more important things to worry about right now, like the Russians having dirty pictures of Trump... or the latest contestant to drop out of The Batchelor... or which Kardashian is wearing next to nothing at the Blah Blah Blah Awards show... 

Which Canadian team will be the first to hoist Lord Stanley's Mug ( thats for you AbD ) since the Habs did it in 93... 

Name your team, name the year they will win and add your comments... ( as if I had to remind you Wink  ).

I would ask members not to quibble, but that would just spoil the fun... So, go on and quibble... if you think someone is talking out of their arse, say so... but no bashing of the teams and no personal shit... Use that grey stuff that resides between your ears and try to stick to the RATW rules. 

Let me get it started... 

IMO, the first Canadian team to hoist the Cup since the Habs won it in 93... Will be...

As for my reasoning... Simple. IMO, they have the best Goalie in the league and when all is said and done, you cannot win a Cup without superior goal tending... Every team in Canada has some good young talent ( some more than others ), but when push comes to shove, I would put my money on Price and the Habs over McD and the Oilers, Matthews and the Leafs, Laine and the Jets...  etc etc etc...  The Habs have a good group of young forwards that can score and they have some solid and experienced DMen that can defend... that's it , that's all.

So, what say you???

there is no sense in disagreeing because what you say is true.

Price would give them the best chance in the next 2-4 years. But because I'm a total Leaf Homer..I will say that the Buds are well on their way, system in place. Top notch coach in place. A whole slew of young guys chomping at the bit but unfortunately they need at least two more pieces on the back end to contend..I'm pretty sure Andersen is our goalie that we have missed since Cujo/Belfour days..

now as a disclaimerr I will say that Edmonton could get hot and ride McJesus all the way to the cup finals..but yeah..a top notch goalie is what is needed to begin with..

you will notice that I never predicted a year for us to win it because we have to make the playoffs first..lol
Thanks given by:
2 years? Do they plan on replacing half the team in the meantime to achieve this?

They're a great regular season team, but the playoffs show who the Habs really are. And I'm a Habs fan.

They need more Webers before they can think of going to the 4th round.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 07:12 PM)Lumbergh Wrote: 2 years?  Do they plan on replacing half the team in the meantime to achieve this?

They're a great regular season team, but the playoffs show who the Habs really are.  And I'm a Habs fan.

They need more Webers before they can think of going to the 4th round.

Hey Lum,

The Habs are currently a top 5 team in the Eastern Conference now... and you'd have to agree, that's not too bad when you consider their imjury woes ... And let's not forget that guys like Weber, Radulov and Shaw should all bring something to the table when the Habs get into the playoffs...

Anyways, this is my pick for the first Canadian team to win the Cup... maybe you could give us your pick and tell us why.

Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 07:12 PM)SNLeafaholic Wrote:
(2017-01-11, 05:36 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote: We all know about the ultimate goal... and no, I'm not talking about an overtime winner in game 57 between the Blues and the Preds... 

So, let's discuss...

Let me get it started... 

So, what say you???

there is no sense in disagreeing because what you say is true.

Price would give them the best chance in the next 2-4 years. But because I'm a total Leaf Homer..I will say that the Buds are well on their way, system in place. Top notch coach in place. A whole slew of young guys chomping at the bit but unfortunately they need at least two more pieces on the back end to contend..I'm pretty sure Andersen is our goalie that we have missed since Cujo/Belfour days..

now as a disclaimerr I will say that Edmonton could get hot and ride McJesus all the way to the cup finals..but yeah..a top notch goalie is what is needed to begin with..

you will notice that I never predicted a year for us to win it because we have to make the playoffs first..lol

So, to sum up, you can't disagree with the Habs being the next Canadian team to win, but you are gonna go with the Leafs ( if they add a couple of pieces ) and to finish it off you are hedging both bets by mentioning the Oilers...

Do you ever remember the Gong Show... 

I believe you just got Gonged!!!

But thanks for playing along... 

Johnny, tell SN what he can look forward to as a parting gift!!! Wink

Thanks given by:
Within the next 3 years I see only the Habs as having a real chance. I just don't see another Canadian team winning in that time frame.

But after 3 years I'm afraid the Leafs are next up as a legit challenger. Also maybe the Oilers because of McDavid but they're still missing pieces.

Next up would be the Jets. After that there are no Canadian teams currently with the pieces to be contenders anytime soon.
I have sex daily. I mean dyslexia.
Thanks given by:
None of the Canadian teams will win it for at least 5 years. They all have to big of blatant holes.

Habs. Have the best chance but they have 4 years and then there chance is diminished greatly. But they lack the all around game. They don't have the team to win a 7 game series after winning 3 already. But still the closest.

Toronto. Has a ton of great pieces but I feel they won't move them to add what they will truly need. They lack defense and goaltending and with the recent history they have they won't be able to fix it. They will make the playoffs soon. But won't get far unless they make some risky choices.

Ottawa is the furthest. I don't have time to point out the holes they have in net. Defense and offense.

Jets. They could surprise. Nobody would be shocked to see them have an amazing run but at the same time it would have to be legen dairy to actually happen. They need goaltending real bad.

Cgy. They have a great core of forwards but they need to mature and unlikely they can add the needed pieces to go all the way. There defense needs some serious work.

EDM. Yeah Mcjesus could take them there. But he doesn't have Even close to the supporting cast that Crosby had taking Pitts to the cup. They needed to keep hull and find a different solution to there still terrible D problem.

Van. They have a good young D corps that will only get better and one of if not the best goalie prospect in the NHL coming up soon. But they have the offensive threat of a wet noodle. So unless they can figure that out Quick there D will be to old to help them when they are ready to make a push.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 08:02 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote:
(2017-01-11, 07:12 PM)SNLeafaholic Wrote: there is no sense in disagreeing because what you say is true.

So, to sum up, you can't disagree with the Habs being the next Canadian team to win, but you are gonna go with the Leafs ( if they add a couple of pieces ) and to finish it off you are hedging both bets by mentioning the Oilers...

Gong or bong bro but you really should learn how to read..!!! let me point out a few spots

i said Habs in next 2-4 years.!!
I said the Leafs are on their way.!
i said McJesus could lead them to the finals...never did i say they would win it...your parting gift is a steaming bag of dog doo doo..enjoy
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 09:36 PM)SNLeafaholic Wrote:
(2017-01-11, 08:02 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote:
(2017-01-11, 07:12 PM)SNLeafaholic Wrote: there is no sense in disagreeing because what you say is true.

Gong or bong bro but you really should learn how to read..!!! let me point out a few spots

i said Habs in next 2-4 years.!!
I said the Leafs are on their way.!
i said McJesus could lead them to the finals...never did i say they would win it...your parting gift is a steaming bag of dog doo doo..enjoy

Relax SN, no need to get upset over a couple of perfectly innocent jabs... 

By the way, what's with the spots???? Is that an Eastern thing?  Silly

Anyways, are you going with the Habs as the next Canadian team to win a Cup? You never did confirm your pick.

Thanks given by:
Ill say if the habs get healthy in time for the playoffs they win it this year. Huge numbers of regulars out and still one of the top teams in the league. Pull 5 regulars out of any other lineup including the first line centre and a top 4 defenseman and youd see a team falling apart the habs are staying among the top teams in the league and not just by scoring a goal or two and relying on price to do the rest either.
Thanks given by: SAVARYGUY
Teams have shown you can win without an elite goalie (Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago) or an elite d-man (Pittsburgh, Carolina).

What a team needs is game changers, regardless of position. As of today, Montreal has one game changer in Price. They will have a hard time overcoming Pittsburgh or Washington, who have multiple players that can impact a game in an elite fashion night in and night out.

My pick is going to be Edmonton, for one obvious reason: generational players win early.
I'm going to say the Leafs in 2020. We have the right people in place to assemble this team, and finally got that very important potentially elite centre. It's less about the current team and more about the people having an impact off the ice like Babcock, Lou, and of course Brendan Shanahan.
I wouldn't bet on any of them winning the cup anytime soon with the way they're currently constructed. 

Habs are probably closest.  Having Price and Weber makes them a threat in any playoff series.  I think they'd be a underdog against a Pittsburgh Washington Chicago or San Jose at the moment though.  Just not the depth to match up with the likes of these teams.  No offence to Montreal.

Leafs Oilers Flames and Jets are young teams with holes in there lineups.  If they could add a major piece IE (Top pairing d-man to the Leafs and Oilers, #1 goalie to the Jets) and have their young guys reach their potential they're a possible cup threat down the line.  But that's a lot of big ifs. 

We're a way's away from seeing another Canadian team winning the Cup IMO.

(Note watch Montreal win the cup this year and have someone bump this thread making me look dumb like in that Pens thread last year LOL Laugh )

Thanks given by:
It's gotta be the Oilers, a guy like Mcdavid can't be held cupless for long (much like Crosby in Pittsburgh).
(2017-01-12, 03:08 AM)Ryu65 Wrote: It's gotta be the Oilers, a guy like Mcdavid can't be held cupless for long (much like Crosby in Pittsburgh).

OV anyone?
I have sex daily. I mean dyslexia.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 12:30 AM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote: Teams have shown you can win without an elite goalie (Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago) or an elite d-man (Pittsburgh, Carolina).

What a team needs is game changers, regardless of position. As of today, Montreal has one game changer in Price. They will have a hard time overcoming Pittsburgh or Washington, who have multiple players that can impact a game in an elite fashion night in and night out.

My pick is going to be Edmonton, for one obvious reason: generational players win early.

As a point of interest the habs thus far this season are 1-0-1 against the penguins this year with the win being a shutout without either price or crosby in the lineup and the loss being a with 6 regulars out of the lineup and still only losing by an OT goal and 1-1 vs washington though they would be a tougher matchup as holtby has always done well against them.
Thanks given by:
The next "Canadian" team to win the Stanley cup will be ........ nobody. There are no "Canadian" teams in the NHL any more. Hasn't been since the invasion of the Euros and expansion of the game past its' talent threshold. Every team in the League now has Canadian, American, and several flavours of various European players. So you really mean Canadian based, right?

Having said that, the Habs will not even get a sniff of a cup any time in the near future. Carey Price can't win you a cup on his own and all your other players are overrated (and you know it). One more crash through the crease by some David Steckel character looking for glory will end your hopes once and for all.

The next Canadian based team to win the cup will be Toronto. Beyond that, the next strictly Canadian team to win anything will be a team Canada. The days of a "Canadian" team in the NHL are long gone.
"Stand up for yourself young fellow. Nobody else is going to do it for you" 
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 08:41 AM)Viable Wrote: The next "Canadian" team to win the Stanley cup will be ........ nobody. There are no "Canadian" teams in the NHL any more. Hasn't been since the invasion of the Euros and expansion of the game past its' talent threshold. Every team in the League now has Canadian, American, and several flavours of various European players. So you really mean Canadian based, right?

Having said that, the Habs will not even get a sniff of a cup any time in the near future. Carey Price can't win you a cup on his own and all your other players are overrated (and you know it). One more crash through the crease by some David Steckel character looking for glory will end your hopes once and for all.

The next Canadian based team to win the cup will be Toronto. Beyond that, the next strictly Canadian team to win anything will be a team Canada. The days of a "Canadian" team in the NHL are long gone.

(snicker)  sure.....

well the experts would be laughing at you today.   they think the Habs are cup contenders with Price and say they need a little more depth and it can happen.  

they're not so sure about the Leafs.  but, seeing you're a Leafs fan. doesn't surprise me.
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 05:42 AM)OldSchool Wrote:
(2017-01-12, 03:08 AM)Ryu65 Wrote: It's gotta be the Oilers, a guy like Mcdavid can't be held cupless for long (much like Crosby in Pittsburgh).

OV anyone?

do they still sell those?
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by: