Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Week That Was In The Atlantic Division
Montreal trades Max Pacioretty to Vegas
Bruins trade defenseman Adam McQuaid to the Rangers for defenseman Steve Kampfer & 2 draft picks
Steve Yzerman resigns as GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning
Senators trade Erik Karlsson to San Jose
Red Wings announce Henrik Zetterberg has been forced to retire due to chronic back pain
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
I feel bad for Sens fans. Without their generational defender and a first round pick this year, I think they might be in for a tough ride the next few years. I hope I'm wrong, but with an owner that really doesn't care I don't see much reason for optimism there.

Zetterberg is easily one of the best ever 7th round picks. The duo of him and Datsyuk was great for the 10 years or so that they were on top of their games. Datsyuk probably had a higher peak, as there was a time when he may have been the best player in the league. Anyway, you hate to see a player like Zetterberg go out with an injury.
That nut job Melnyk needs to be dropped on an island somewhere and left there. I have always hated the Sens but he is bad for the franchise and bad for hockey. Hockey is always a lot more fun when the Habs and Sens are competitive.
Thanks given by:
I think Eugene may have gotten the wrong idea( or maybe a few of them )when the Sens made their surprise run to the Eastern Conference Final & had Pittsburgh teetering in double overtime of Game 7. I bet Eugene thought this team was legitimately on the verge of competing for a Stanley Cup...& can you blame someone for reacting that way after such an inspired playoff run? Trouble was, what soon followed was a series of events that hampered Ottawa's chance of even coming that close again. Now look at what's happened just over 15 months later...virtually that whole team that went to Game 7 against the Penguins has literally been gutted; and most of all, their franchise player, Karlsson, was sent packing. For a team that mostly struggles to compete in a small market, one that's right in the middle of a region occupied largely by Habs fans & Leafs fans, many of whom have no problem making a road trip out of it to go see their team play in Kanata & comprise up to at least half the capacity whenever they play the Sens, I mean, how do the Sens recover from all this? That franchise is in for a world of pain beginning this season, & in light of the Karlsson trade it's going to take several years to see just exactly what, if anything, the Sens managed to get as a return with some kind of impact going forward. Moving out guys like Hoffman( for reasons other than hockey-related matters, obviously ), Brassard, among others is one thing...but when it's the face of your franchise for 9 seasons, a guy that was thought to have been a cornerstone for which the team could gradually build a Cup contender going forward, and now even that player has been pillaged from the franchise...this is one move that can & probably have a long-range effect on the Sens for years to come.

Can't say I blame the fans there for being royally pissed....and even if many of us knew that the day would come where Erik Karlsson was likely to be moved out of Ottawa, it's still a head-scratcher to see that this is where the franchise is at right now. My goodness. Plain
Thanks given by:
You missed:
Matthews passed over by Babcock for a letter on his sweater.
Continuing rift between coach and player or Matthews just not leadership material?
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-15, 06:47 AM)duediligence Wrote: You missed:
Continuing rift between coach and player or Matthews just not leadership material?

Lol... did that make you feel better?
"Oh mischief, glorious mischief...I do so love it!"
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-15, 08:39 AM)MisterZ Wrote:

I couldn't care one way or another but it was a big deal in the Toronto media.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-15, 09:00 AM)duediligence Wrote:
(2018-09-15, 08:39 AM)MisterZ Wrote:

I couldn't care one way or another but it was a big deal in the Toronto media.

Well then it must be true since it was in the media...
"Oh mischief, glorious mischief...I do so love it!"
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 02:53 PM)Trevorchef Wrote: Hockey is always a lot more fun when the Habs and Sens are competitive.

Is this what we can expect?

Lol.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-15, 09:28 AM)Limestoner Wrote:
(2018-09-14, 02:53 PM)Trevorchef Wrote: Hockey is always a lot more fun when the Habs and Sens are competitive.

Is this what we can expect?

Lol.

Probably.
Thanks given by:
Is there anything Leaf related that isn't a big deal in the Toronto media?

Isn't that why people piss and moan all the time about the Leafs?

It may be getting play in the media, but it's really not getting much thought from any of the Leaf fans that I talk to, or see on social media.

Patrick Marleau was a captain in SJ, and was brought here in large part to be a leader and mentor to this young team. John Tavares was a captain in NYI, and a large part of why he was such a sought after free agent, in addition to his skill, was his maturity and leadership ability. Pretty hard to imagine a scenario where those two aren't wearing letters for this team. As for the other one? IMO, it's a toss-up between Kadri and Rielly IMO...and Rielly is a little more level-headed, and more mature on the ice.

I have absolutely zero issue with the selection for alternate captains, and I don't imagine the players do either.

The level of arrogance required for a kid (ANY kid) in his 3rd year in the league to look at Patrick Marleau (or Tavares for that matter) wearing an A and think it should be him instead of them...talented or not, I'd want that kid gone from my roster.
(2018-09-15, 10:38 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote: Is there anything Leaf related that isn't a big deal in the Toronto media?

It may be getting play in the media, but it's really not getting much thought from any of the Leaf fans that I talk to, or see on social media.

Patrick Marleau was a captain in SJ, and was brought here in large part to be a leader and mentor to this young team. John Tavares was a captain in NYI, and a large part of why he was such a sought after free agent, in addition to his skill, was his maturity and leadership ability. Pretty hard to imagine a scenario where those two aren't wearing letters for this team. As for the other one? IMO, it's a toss-up between Kadri and Rielly IMO...and Rielly is a little more level-headed, and more mature on the ice.

I have absolutely zero issue with the selection for alternate captains, and I don't imagine the players do either.

The level of arrogance required for a kid (ANY kid) in his 3rd year in the league to look at Patrick Marleau (or Tavares for that matter) wearing an A and think it should be him instead of them...talented or not, I'd want that kid gone from my roster.
So you want Nylander gone then? I couldn't agree more.
"Stand up for yourself young fellow. Nobody else is going to do it for you" 
Thanks given by:
Leafs and TB are gonna be battling back and forth for the division title this year.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
(2018-09-15, 12:37 PM)bicboi Wrote: Leafs and TB are gonna be battling back and forth for the division title this year.

I hope so! I'm ready! Drop the puck already!!!
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf , CaperLeaf , ckendall
(2018-09-14, 02:53 PM)Trevorchef Wrote: That nut job Melnyk needs to be dropped on an island somewhere and left there. I have always hated the Sens but he is bad for the franchise and bad for hockey. Hockey is always a lot more fun when the Habs and Sens are competitive.

Older Leaf and Black Hawks fans knos all about Melynk types.we had Ballard and Hawks had Wurtz and Pulford. Actually compared to those 3 Melynk could be called a choir boy!
"Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, ‘IF’ it deserves it."
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-15, 12:34 PM)Viable Wrote:
(2018-09-15, 10:38 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote: Is there anything Leaf related that isn't a big deal in the Toronto media?

I have said that many times since Feb 01. If a really good trade falls to Dubas for a top 4 D-Man and it involves Nylander I for one would not be upset! We have some very good kids as good as him coming up the food chain so if he or his agent wants to play hard ball then it is the player that loses out! Dubas won't cave like Oilers GM did!
Thanks given by:

I have always hoped our 'bad ass' defenceman Morgan Reilly would be our Captain and Matthews and Tavres with the A's
Thanks given by:

Where did I even remotely imply that Nylander thinks he deserves to wear a letter?
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-15, 02:09 PM)Bo Dangles Wrote:

Where did I even remotely imply that Nylander thinks he deserves to wear a letter?

You didn't bro. That's just Viable being Viable. Don't drink the kool-aid. He wants you to.
Thanks given by:
I wonder how Matthews views the assignment of As. Being the Captain or an A can often be viewed as a team's willingness to tie it's future on a player's abilities both talent and character wise. If I'm Hymen I don't think twice about not being assigned an A but not assigning an A to the great white hope is a different matter.

Anyway it might be an interesting side story maybe of little significance but could this be the result of the Babs/Matthews summer meeting?
Thanks given by: