Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The new What Next thread
The way Boums plays I never seen a long career for him . Too much wear and tear on that body . I am surprised he is done in he bigs already but I just never seen him as a long term guy .
Thanks given by: Nanuuk , FlameFilosi4
(2018-08-14, 09:54 AM)Nanuuk Wrote: An article about signing both Hanifin and Tkachuk and fitting them in under the cap for 2019.

https://flamesnation.ca/2018/08/13/can-t...19-20-cap/

I definitely see this as the season that Stone gets phased out of the Flames plans.  If the Flames can move to a 3rd pairing of 2 young guys who combine for less than $2.0 million against the cap, that should help out.

I think another guy who could be playing his last year as a Flame is Frolik.  If he has a bounce-back year, it will be a tough decision to keep him or try to move him.

This article does not even bring up where things go if guys like Bennett & Jankowski continue to progress in a positive direction.  Sooner or later, some choices will have to be made.
"What's the first thing a lion does after he wakes up?" Badger Bob Johnson
"He licks his balls" Kent Nilsson
Thanks given by: Nanuuk
Yes. I was thinking the same thing. Frolik's salary and age now stand out like a sore thumb. I'm not down on the guy in any way, but the Flames will be spending an awful lot of money on their forward group once Chucky signs never mind others. If Benny really takes a step forward this year he'll be due for a good raise when be becomes an RFA.
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by: KNilsson14
Some more filler. Options. This years addition of the Flames will have more options for player combinations than last year and the new coach won't be limited by that.

https://flameforthought.com/2018/08/11/c...n-options/
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by: KNilsson14
Many fans and bloggers are pencilling in Andrew Mangiapane for a starting role at LW next season. We tend to overlook another possibility in one Morgan Klimchuk. We didn't see much of him last year - one game for all of 7:25 minutes (whoop-de-do) so its hard to gauge. As I recall he was competent and didn't hurt the team.

This article https://flamesnation.ca/2018/08/16/flame...-klimchuk/ also points out that he is a year younger than Foo and has really good speed. He's two inches taller than Mangiapane and weigh about the same, 185 lbs. He's scored at similar rates ~40-45 points in the AHL posted by both Mangiapane and new acquisition Austin Czarnik (a squirt at 5'9", 160 lbs.).

So why is it that Mangipane seems to be getting more love from the fan base and writers? Personally I think it goes back to Burkie's characterization that he can be a mean little SOB. Well that and his potential upside. In the end I think Mangiapane can be more than a 4th liner. I'm not sure if Klimmer can be. Still he was a first rounder and he will have to beat a 6th rounder out for that spot.

Edit: Czarnik had 69 points last year. When I first looked at his stats page I mistook his assists (44) for his total points.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
I believe Czarnik will be a nice surprise for us. Several Boston fan friends say he has been an underrated player and were sad to see him go. Klimchuck...meh. I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4 , FlameFilosi4
It all depends on what Bill Peters wants from his 4th line.

For many years, the flames have tried to go with a crash'n'bang 4th line that rarely contributes offense.  Its kind of following the model set by the Red Wings 15 years ago.., except that Maltby-Draper-McCarty were a threat to score.

With the current roster, I think that Treliving & Peters have talked and aiming to put together a 4th line that will focus more on puck possession and creating some scoring opportunities.
Thanks given by:
Both Klimchuk and Mangiapane have speed to spare. There is a possibility that both could make the club I suppose given all the options that the Flames have now. I do think we will have a much better 4 line that will play more than token minutes.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
Ryan Leslie tweets:

"Versteeg heading to Omsk of the KHL."
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-17, 09:10 AM)Bully Wrote: I believe Czarnik will be a nice surprise for us. Several Boston fan friends say he has been an underrated player and were sad to see him go. Klimchuck...meh. I'm not holding my breath.
This is where I am on Czarnik. Looking at his hilites you see why the Boston fans like him, he made things happen on the powerplay, something the Flames need to improve on.

Klimchuk has never been more than average at best and never really earned the big promotion. Foo was given a chance because of his big signing, and made the most of it.

All said it just means there's going to be a battle for that last spot and I think it's Czarnik's to take.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not so sure about the former.-Einstein
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't necessarily count Foo out in any battle for a RW spot. The beauty about having James Neal is that he can also play LW. Ditto for Frolik. Ryan and Lindholm can also play centre. So it will be a very competitive camp. Foo needs to grab the bull by the horns and force someone out. I'm not sure Czarnik will be that guy. Assuming Foo wins a RW spot out of camp, the pressure moves to LW.

Gaudreau/Mony/Neal
Tkachuk/Backlund/Lindholm
Bennett/Jankowski/Foo
Frolik/Ryan/Czarnik

Hathaway/Lazar/Mangiapane/Klimchuk

In this scenario Frodo gets bumped down to the 4 line. But given that we all seem to agree that the expectations of the 4 line and their ice time will be different this year I don't think it would matter if a guy like Frodo moves down.

If Foo can't win a spot, it opens the door for Mangiapane at LW and maybe even the C spot for Bennett.

Gaudreau/Mony/Neal
Tkachuk/Backlund/Lindholm
Frolik/Jankowski/Ryan
Mangiapane/Bennett/Czarnik

Note that in this scenario 3 of the 4 lines will boast a right shot RW that can play centre or take weak side face-offs, a capability we didn't have last year.

In case you guys haven't noticed, I'm in the drop the puck already camp!
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
Yeah.., the sooner the puck is dropped
The less time Nanuuk needs to dedicate to reading Cordell & all those other hokey bloggers!!

Those articles are pretty laughable this month

How is Dougie not the best d-man ever??
The stats show he does stuff that is good

How come Gaudreau is the not perennial favourite to win the Hart Trophy
Well geez dipstick.., he's not the only superstar player in the league.., there are a lot of good candidates
and some of the don't even play for the Leafs!!
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-19, 05:10 PM)KNilsson14 Wrote: Those articles are pretty laughable this month

How is Dougie not the best d-man ever??
The stats show he does stuff that is good
I'm looking forward to this, as there are a nbr of bloggers assuming Dougie is just gonna step in and be the #1 guy. His success had a lot to do with Gio covering his butt defensively.

Who gets to cover for him in Carolina? Who's setting him up to be open right side?

And yah, Nuuk, drop the dam puck already. Is it September yet?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not so sure about the former.-Einstein
Thanks given by: KNilsson14 , Nanuuk , Nanuuk
My guess would be Calvin de Haan gets the 1st chance to partner with Dougie.
He is the eldest LD on their roster.
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4
Yah, good luck with that, Calvin Cool
Thanks given by:
Looks like Rajn Stajn is mellowing a bit. Good for you and your wife Matt! Enjoy your time over there.

-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4
Philly has a new mascot! Gritty!

Seems to be Scott Hartnell dressed as a street person on crack. Now THAT is Philly!
Thanks given by: Nanuuk , Nanuuk