Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The new What Next thread
Meanwhile, over at HokeyBuzz, Bleklund is saying he's 'hearing' that Bennett is in play and Tre is taking a 'ton' of calls with the most interest coming out of Boston. Boston has a ton of young guys already and lots in the pipeline so I'm not sure what their interest would be other than they feel Benny is going to be a player. Which is what the Flames feel I'm sure. Still, if Boston is up for getting fleeced again, I'm sure Tre is.
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
Not that I'm putting any stock into yet another Benny rumour, but I've noticed that Mangiapane and Benny are the same age. One player has had the benefit of developing in the A and putting up great numbers there. The other made the jump out of the gate and has struggled. Both will be RFA's after next season. If the Flames feel Mangiapane can play now and might have surpassed Bennett would they put him in play? I hope not. I want to see both them occupy the 3LW and 4LW spots and shoot the lights out.
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
Good article from Sportnet.ca with a Rob Kerr interview with Tre. Tre speaks at length about Klimchuk and Lindholm. Thinks Lindholm is going to 'pop' offensively.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flam...gonna-pop/
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by: Bully , Bully
Smitty's new mask :

Every village has an idiot. Now, thanks to social media, every idiot has a village.
Thanks given by:
Looks like an Incredible too! Laugh
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
I think you might be over-thinking things with Tkachuk.  He will continue to produce at a healthy clip playing with Backlund and there is a chance he will still be on the 1st PP unit, as Neal has reputation for being more of an even-strength scoring threat.

As far as the Sam Bennett rumours go..., the Bruins are an easy target for the rumour-mongers.  Their top 3 centers are Bergeron, Krejci and Backes.., who are 32, 32 and 34 years of age.  They need to find a young talented center.  Sam Bennett is a guy that some other teams are probably looking at and wondering how much longer he could be part of the Flames plans.  I don't think that Treliving or Peters are ready to give up on the kid yet.
"What's the first thing a lion does after he wakes up?" Badger Bob Johnson
"He licks his balls" Kent Nilsson
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4
(2018-07-18, 05:53 PM)KNilsson14 Wrote: I think you might be over-thinking things with Tkachuk.  He will continue to produce at a healthy clip playing with Backlund and there is a chance he will still be on the 1st PP unit, as Neal has reputation for being more of an even-strength scoring threat.

As far as the Sam Bennett rumours go..., the Bruins are an easy target for the rumour-mongers.  Their top 3 centers are Bergeron, Krejci and Backes.., who are 32, 32 and 34 years of age.  They need to find a young talented center.  Sam Bennett is a guy that some other teams are probably looking at and wondering how much longer he could be part of the Flames plans.  I don't think that Treliving or Peters are ready to give up on the kid yet.
Agreed. Sam's presence and his salary are not holding anybody up. He has value at any of the 9 forward spots, and would have to be replaced in a trade. I'm sure they have him pencilled in to start the season.
Every village has an idiot. Now, thanks to social media, every idiot has a village.
Thanks given by:
I/we have said it before and will say it again. Bennett will be a force on this team and in this league. You could see it often last year. He is on the cusp of a breakout and is only 22. If he had spent a couple of years in the A I'm sure his numbers would have been out there and we'd all be pining for his promotion to the bigs. In his young career he's already had two sets of coaches and two systems. A third is on the way. He'll do fine.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4 , KNilsson14
Benny definitely has the eyes of a killer when he is on. He also has a real mean streak. He was one of the best players on the ice for the FLmaes during their last trip to the playoffs. I agree that giving up on him now would be a mistake. They need to figure out his role and develop him properly, whether it be winger or center.
Thanks given by: KNilsson14
The strange history of Sam Bennett.

He came to camp at 18 and impressed the heck out of everybody. Then it's found he has a broken shoulder, which is why he  cant do a pullup. So he undergoes major surgury, and they keep him with the big team all year during his recovery. This should teach pro habits, it's thought. He recovers, goes back and plays 10 games in junior, and ends up back with the Flames,  where he sparkles in the playoffs.

So he is set up to star in year 2 and is given 2nd line Centre spot. But this is where things go south, he can't score, he struggles with Centre duties and has a penchant for bad penalties. This has continued now for 2 seasons as he moves down the lineup.

So where did they go wrong with Sam? Did he not play enough with good players? Should they have punted him to Stockton when he faltered? I don't know what the answer is, or what Sam needs. I hope they find it, soon.
Thanks given by:
Should have developed a bit in Stockton. But he may be a late bloomer like Backlund.
Thanks given by:
Well.., ok

With a lame duck coach in his 1st full year, Bennett was playing 2nd line LW with Backlund and progressed fairly well.  Late in the season, they decided he was ready for C duties and he was dropped down to the 3rd line to play with much lesser talent.

Under new lame duck coach Gulutzan, Bennett started out briefly as the 2nd line center between Tkachuk & Brouwer.  That line was broken up after 9 or 10 games because 2 young players were taking too many penalties.  Since then, Bennett has been stuck in the bottom six with limited PP time and more focus on PK duties.

With the new acquisitions, it seems likely that Bennett will continue playing as a LW.  Hopefully Bill Peters proves not to be a lame duck coach and can push Sam Bennett and a couple of others towards their potential.

The Flames are not built as a top-heavy team (see Chicago, Edmonton, Pittsburgh or Washington) and they need to get more production out of the bottom half of the line-up.
"What's the first thing a lion does after he wakes up?" Badger Bob Johnson
"He licks his balls" Kent Nilsson
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4 , Nanuuk , Nanuuk