Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The post-Karlsson trade thread
There's another thread to talk about the trade itself, so let's keep the specific trade talk to that thread but in this thread i'd like to talk about the pieces we received and how they might fit in to our line-up this season or next. We know that Tierny and DeMelo are going to slide in right away, but what do you guys think our line-up looks like now? Don't forget we also have Boedker from the Hoffman trade as well along with some of the young guys who came up late last year. I still think we're missing too many pieces on defense now but I feel like our forward group is going to be alright.

Anyway, it is what it is, we can only move forward from here on out so here they are, the newest additions to the Ottawa Senators. P.S one of them has a really punchable face.

[Image: cut.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Potential line-up opening night (without anymore trades before then):

Dzingel-Duchene-Stone
Boedker- Tierny- Ryan
Smith- White- Gagne
Paajarvi- Chlapik- Gaborik

Chabot- Ceci
DeMelo- Wideman
Borowiecki- Harpur/Englund
Wolanin

Defense is terrible but, with a trade or two, we can definitely upgrade there. Pageau is injured for 4-6 months so he's done for the year and can't play so although that line-up looks less than stellar, it's not about the names on paper it's how they play under the coach's system.
Thanks given by:
If it was 5 years ago that would be a group of forwards to get excited about. Let's see what Boucher and Crawford can do. That defense though I agree, eesh. Scary. But, if Boucher can get them to buy into team defence something I think was difficult to do with players like Karlsson and Spezza they may resemble those old Jacques Martin teams squeezing into 8th or 7th place.
Thanks given by:
That whole team is terrible. It has a just OK top line and the rest of the team leaves a lot to be desired.

I just hope we don’t win the lottery with it. Hopefully we get screwed like we did this year.
Thanks given by:
That is nowhere near being a good enough lineup for the NHL.

I bet the Marlies could beat them handily.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!
Thanks given by:
I also left off some rookies that could surprise, an obvious one being Tkachuk but again, it's early and the roster is not set. I really really don't think Dorion is dumb enough to think that trading Karlsson for a bunch of non-roster players is going to be enough.

Look as much we think that we know so much about hockey and how to run a team, there's a reason that we're not the ones getting paid the big money to build a team. Melnyk is a creepy, annoying and crazy owner but the guy loves his hockey and wants to see the team win games. If they say they have a plan, then I trust that they're going to actually try and make the team better and not settle for anything less. This is a massive trade, you don't just trade your best player ever and not make more moves to show you're serious.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-13, 06:30 PM)Ryu65 Wrote: I also left off some rookies that could surprise, an obvious one being Tkachuk but again, it's early and the roster is not set. I really really don't think Dorion is dumb enough to think that trading Karlsson for a bunch of non-roster players is going to be enough.

Look as much we think that we know so much about hockey and how to run a team, there's a reason that we're not the ones getting paid the big money to build a team. Melnyk is a creepy, annoying and crazy owner but the guy loves his hockey and wants to see the team win games. If they say they have a plan, then I trust that they're going to actually try and make the team better and not settle for anything less. This is a massive trade, you don't just trade your best player ever and not make more moves to show you're serious.
I doubt they have a well thought out plan. Apparently the rebuild was decided in February and yet they did nothing to address the poor scouting which they should know needed fixing for a successful rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-13, 06:30 PM)Ryu65 Wrote: I also left off some rookies that could surprise, an obvious one being Tkachuk but again, it's early and the roster is not set. I really really don't think Dorion is dumb enough to think that trading Karlsson for a bunch of non-roster players is going to be enough.

Not so sure about that, $$$ could be way more important than winning to him, given his financial situation.

But I'll wait and see what else he does.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-13, 06:45 PM)FashionPolice Wrote:

Not so sure about that, $$$ could be way more important than winning to him, given his financial situation.

There is nothing more profitable than being in the playoffs for an owner!
NOTHING
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-13, 06:52 PM)SenStanley Wrote:
(2018-09-13, 06:45 PM)FashionPolice Wrote:

There is nothing more profitable than being in the playoffs for an owner!
NOTHING
good point, but does he have enough to build a playoff contender? Right now this team has to face bigger odds which doesn't sit well with many (me included).
Thanks given by:
The forward group is fine. It was enough for the team to be competitive.

But without Karlsson, there's no chance this team will be better than 29th place with this defence corps. Cody Ceci is going to be the number one guy. Jesus Murphy.
Thanks given by:
For sure it will take a small miracle.
But I am optimistic that the young crop we have now will grow up to be very good players.
No superstars, but a team of steady overachievers.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-13, 06:58 PM)andreroy Wrote: The forward group is fine. It was enough for the team to be competitive.

But without Karlsson, there's no chance this team will be better than 29th place with this defence corps. Cody Ceci is going to be the number one guy. Jesus Murphy.

Thanks for slapping my face with reality Cry
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-13, 06:58 PM)andreroy Wrote: The forward group is fine. It was enough for the team to be competitive.

To think a year ago it was Karlsson, Methot and Phaneuf....
Thanks given by:
Well 15 months ago, but I get your point.
Thanks given by: Rinkrat
Maybe Ceci sees this now as an opportunity to be "the guy" and then yea I can't finish this sentence, Ceci sucks.
Thanks given by: andreroy , andreroy
Dorion said he thinks Cody will take a "big step" this year.

Not only is he Dopey Dorion, but we can call him Delusional Dorion. What a clown
Thanks given by:

Actually Chabot is the number 1 guy now. He will excel; count on it!
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-13, 08:57 PM)andreroy Wrote: Dorion said he thinks Cody will take a "big step" this year.

Not only is he Dopey Dorion, but we can call him Delusional Dorion. What a clown

Why blame dorion, we know he doesn't make the decisions on what to do or say.

Dopey I can see, but delusional is more suited for Melnyk.
Thanks given by:
Management hasn't a clue on what's happening, this defence is going to accomplish nothing besides landing the Avs Hughes
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by: