Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The post-Karlsson trade thread
https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/...lsson-loss

Didn't know we had a St.Louis area connection. Wideman and Borocop are the third pairing at camp, but if there's ever a time for Wideman to show he deserves a decent contract in the $4-5 million range for a few years, this is the year. He'll probably be QBing the PP with Ceci and Chabot
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
"With center Jean-Gabriel Pageau out at least six months after tearing his Achilles tendon, Tierney could play in the Senators' top six. Tierney, who had NHL career highs in goals (17) and assists (23) last season, will compete with 30-year-old Zack Smith to be the second-line center.

"I see myself as a two-way forward," Tierney said. "I think I took a good step last year. Before, I was kind of just a [penalty kill], defensive forward. I thought I took a big step in my offensive game last year and put up some good numbers with the role I was in."
https://www.nhl.com/news/chris-tierney-a...=278542340

Tierny better be the damn 2nd line centre lol, with regular 2nd line minutes he should hit 20g, 30a with ease. Smith is a third line centre, nothing more and if we try a 3 line combination, it better be due to Smith's line mates lifting up and surprising us
Thanks given by:
https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/editor...lling-hope

"downplays expectations of icing a winning team, but sells the notion that it will be fun to watch."

Under a Boucher system?

At least they realize if not winning - need to sell the hope angle.
Thanks given by:
They are on to the same thing I've already written and that there's a possibility it'll be like the early Martin teams. You really need to cool on the negativity Fashion Police. The constant glass completely empty gets annoying after awhile. Yeah, 1997 Sens team is not nearly as entertaining as 2006 Sens team but no owner or GM can snap their fingers and make 2006 happen instantly and that includes the final verdict on the Karlsson trade. That's going to take 4-6 years to figure out and about that time to build a contender.

There's plenty to complain about but if you need a contender to be happy and not dump on everything including anything remotely positive perhaps a new team to cheer for until a new owner/team rebuilds?

Because if the team works hard under Boucher and busts their butts into 7th or 8th and you're still bitch bitch bitch the whole time I'm gonna worry you might have a stroke.
Thanks given by:
Noticed again in that article "Tensions between coach and Capt Hurt Fees Fees".

San Jose better spoil EK or they'll be trading him at the deadline or losing him for nothing to FA.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-16, 03:05 PM)Rinkrat Wrote: They are on to the same thing I've already written and that there's a possibility it'll be like the early Martin teams.  You really need to cool on the negativity Fashion Police.  The constant glass completely empty gets annoying after awhile.  Yeah, 1997 Sens team is not nearly as entertaining as 2006 Sens team but no owner or GM can snap their fingers and make 2006 happen instantly and that includes the final verdict on the Karlsson trade.  That's going to take 4-6 years to figure out and about that time to build a contender.  

There's plenty to complain about but if you need a contender to be happy and not dump on everything including anything remotely positive perhaps a new team to cheer for until a new owner/team rebuilds?

Because if the team works hard under Boucher and busts their butts into 7th or 8th and you're still bitch bitch bitch the whole time I'm gonna worry you might have a stroke.

I don't think he's being negative as much as you're being a bit optimistic my friend. We are literally in one of the worse case situations one could've hoped for. We literally need a miracle frmor our glaring holes in the back end to be addressed.

When the Sens were "pesky", we had veteran presences like Gonchar and Alfie. I was a wee little lad in 1997, but a quick fact check shows how different the rosters were. Proven talent in Yashin, young stars with potential (back then) in Redden, Alfie, Phillips, Bonk, and Dackell. Established vets like Cunneyworth, McEachern. They still had their 1st rounder and there was somewhat of a clear direction as to where they were going.That team had several things to look forward to, no doubt credit to the coaching staff, but 97 and 2018 are not remotely similar situations.

We have young guys coming up everywhere with literally two good vets to shelter them (Stone and Duchene, and Tierny hopefully centring the 2nd line). Wideman is the best vet we have in the backend and its scary considering we're relying on Wolanin and Chabot for so much. Don't even get me started on Ceci, he's gonna end up being the scapegoat.

We are being told we're rebuilding while going into the season without our first rounder, our #1C and #1 winger being having one year left on their deals and rookies ready to be thrown to the wolves. I'm trying to look for some semblance of a silver lining, but if I'm honest with myself, we are the most screwed team in the league.
Thanks given by: FashionPolice
(2018-09-16, 03:05 PM)Rinkrat Wrote: They are on to the same thing I've already written and that there's a possibility it'll be like the early Martin teams.  You really need to cool on the negativity Fashion Police.  The constant glass completely empty gets annoying after awhile.  Yeah, 1997 Sens team is not nearly as entertaining as 2006 Sens team but no owner or GM can snap their fingers and make 2006 happen instantly and that includes the final verdict on the Karlsson trade.  That's going to take 4-6 years to figure out and about that time to build a contender.  

How am I being negative by thinking about the future? I look forward to Melnyk selling the team.

"There's plenty to complain about but if you need a contender to be happy and not dump on everything"

Weren't you the one agreeing with AR as long as the team is winning you don't care? I never claimed they have to be a contender for me to be happy.

If the team somehow makes it to playoffs good for them, I just don't like the extra odds they choose to handicap themselves with. No need to worry about me, because while i'm waiting. i'm not dropping my money to Melnyk,.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-16, 05:47 PM)bicboi Wrote:

I don't think he's being negative as much as you're being a bit optimistic my friend. We are literally in one of the worse case situations one could've hoped for. We literally need a miracle frmor our glaring holes in the back end to be addressed.

When the Sens were "pesky", we had veteran presences like Gonchar and Alfie. I was a wee little lad in 1997, but a quick fact check shows how different the rosters were. Proven talent in Yashin, young stars with potential (back then) in Redden, Alfie, Phillips, Bonk, and Dackell. Established vets like Cunneyworth, McEachern. They still had their 1st rounder and there was somewhat of a clear direction as to where they were going.That team had several things to look forward to, no doubt credit to the coaching staff, but 97 and 2018 are not remotely similar situations.
I've done my share of complaining but I'd rather balance it with optimism otherwise why bother?

On the 97 team Alfie and Yashin were established along with McEachern they are not that far off from a Stone, Duchene, healthy (hopefully) Ryan and/or any of the new players who step up to be a two way 20-25 goal scorer.  Different players and trajectory but at that point in their career offensively speaking not that different.

Redden was still only 19 or 20 and I believe Phillips also around that age was still being put on the left wing by an untrusting Martin.   Bonk was pretty much considered a disappointment by then as people expected an offensive player and he was in the middle of being transformed into a 2 way defensive forward by Martin.  Their best defenseman was likely Duchene.  The team was building in the right direction but it was a bit of a miracle they made the playoffs.  It took a late surge and a little luck to squeak in.
Thanks given by:
Winning is all that matters ultimately but at some point I gotta put aside all the other drama and just focus on a new season and look at the positives or potential positives and hope and pray for the best. I just compartmentalize and try not to freak out too much about what I can't control. The truth is I NEVER wanted Melnyk to be the owner. I saw where we are today back then even though he was promising championships, free Eagles concerts etc. I just could tell he was a clown who was probably perfect for an independent semi-pro league or the AHL at best but not the NHL. We needed another owner like Rod Bryden.
Thanks given by:
If Ryan can score just 25 goals, I'll treat everyone in the Sens forum to some pizza when I'm back in Ottawa Wink

25 Bobby Bagels, please, is that fair to ask for a $7 million dollar winger?
Thanks given by:
LOL
Thanks given by:
Dorion and Ruszkowski on CBC this morning, audio here

Nothing ground breaking in the interview, he is pretty dismissive on the negativity, and says no player is safe.

https://soundcloud.com/cbcottawa1/robyns...ruszkowski

Its easy to throw someone under the bus after they are gone but here goes...on the Karlsson front, man he is a great player, and his leadership ability seems to end on the ice, i never took him for a great dressing room guy. He does his community part as per his contract but has never really gone above and beyond (like someone like Turris or Alfie used to). I get the impression that he is a bit or a prima donna as well, and i dont think it was the worst thing for him to leave as early in the season as possible to give the whole dressing room a reset.
Thanks given by:
Well we have to live with it either way. I would like to put aside the drama and just focus on the team on the ice and not the idiots upstairs. This is way too much drama for one team over one year and it's time to focus on hockey now.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-16, 08:24 PM)Rinkrat Wrote: Winning is all that matters ultimately but at some point I gotta put aside all the other drama and just focus on a new season and look at the positives or potential positives and hope and pray for the best.  I just compartmentalize and try not to freak out too much about what I can't control.  The truth is I NEVER wanted Melnyk to be the owner.  I saw where we are today back then even though he was promising championships, free Eagles concerts etc.  I just could tell he was a clown who was probably perfect for an independent semi-pro league or the AHL at best but not the NHL.  We needed another owner like Rod Bryden.

Rod was fine except he had NO MONEY!!!
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-17, 08:24 AM)PaliSENS Wrote: Dorion and Ruszkowski on CBC this morning, audio here

Nothing ground breaking in the interview, he is pretty dismissive on the negativity, and says no player is safe.

https://soundcloud.com/cbcottawa1/robyns...ruszkowski

Its easy to throw someone under the bus after they are gone but here goes...on the Karlsson front, man he is a great player, and his leadership ability seems to end on the ice, i never took him for a great dressing room guy. He does his community part as per his contract but has never really gone above and beyond (like someone like Turris or Alfie used to). I get the impression that he is a bit or a prima donna as well, and i dont think it was the worst thing for him to leave as early in the season as possible to give the whole dressing room a reset.

Karlsson was avidly involved with the Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa. He's didn't have a Spelling with Spezza program but he was perfectly fine in terms of community involvement
Thanks given by:
Yeah, and I know I'm agreeing with somebody who has repeated my point, but there was a smell of diva off him. Capt Fees Fees apparently had a nasty stubborn streak and didn't care to be receptive to attempts at reconciliation. Because of his talent I agree it's worth the hassle but if he's leaving anyways and wasn't exactly seeing eye to eye with Boucher, like Pali said, get rid of him now and give your coach a chance to win over the whole room.
Thanks given by:
duedilligence, unfortunately, that was the case he didn't have deep enough pockets for that crippling arena and over pass debt.
Thanks given by:
"Erik Karlsson is an extraordinary player, a once-in-a-generation player," DeMelo said. "I'm not going to sit here and tell you I'm going to be the next Erik Karlsson, because that'd be a lie, but I'm going to do my best to help build a foundation for Ottawa."
https://www.nhl.com/news/senators-turn-t...-300233844

Liking DeMelo's attitude, do what you can in this situation. I really hope he stays here as a long term guy in our top 4. Haven't seen to much of him, but hoping him and Wolanin can work out
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-17, 11:27 AM)Rinkrat Wrote: duedilligence, unfortunately, that was the case he didn't have deep enough pockets for that crippling arena and over pass debt.

The point is you need money, lots of it, to run a pro sports team. And very few people have 1) lots of money, 2) the intelligence, 3) the right personality and 4) the inclination, to run a pro team well. Many only have 1 and 4!
Thanks given by:
Very true
Thanks given by: