Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The top 26 billionaires own $1.4 trillion — as much as 3.8 billion other people
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/20/business/...index.html

Quote:
(CNN Business)The world's billionaires are growing $2.5 billion richer every day, while the poorest half of the global population is seeing its net worth dwindle.

Billionaires, who now number a record 2,208, have more wealth than ever before, according to an Oxfam International report published Monday. Since the global financial crisis a decade ago, the number of billionaires has nearly doubled.
Thanks given by:
This concept isn't really new now, is it?
Thanks given by:
“It’s a big club and we’re not in it”
"when the lights come on this whole place gets ugly"
Thanks given by: Captain aHab
(2019-05-15, 09:37 PM)Pouzar Wrote: This concept isn't really new now, is it?

Nope but it's still discouraging to see it getting worse and worse. Also discouraging to continue hearing politicians claim that trickle down economics work.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by:
Oh good, a CNN article.
Thanks given by:
Nobody deserves that much. It is obscene.
Wealth should be capped.
"In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane."     Oscar Wilde
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-16, 07:39 AM)Lagavulin Wrote: Nobody deserves that much. It is obscene.
Wealth should be capped.

Why limit someone's reward for working hard all their life? Billionaires put in a crazy amount of hours per week into their work. Melinda talks about Bill Gates' struggle to balance work and life during his prime in her last interview.
Thanks given by:
With that logic carried to its logical conclusion you would be fine if one man owned everything and billions were dying of starvation because, you know...."hard work"
Baristas work freaking hard...so what?
"In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane."     Oscar Wilde
Thanks given by: Captain aHab
My biggest question is how the number of billionaires "doubled" since the last financial crisis? While most people got poorer and are struggling to make a living, 1000 people found a way to become billionaires.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-16, 07:47 AM)TheNumber13 Wrote:
(2019-05-16, 07:39 AM)Lagavulin Wrote: Nobody deserves that much. It is obscene.
Wealth should be capped.

Why limit someone's reward for working hard all their life? Billionaires put in a crazy amount of hours per week into their work. Melinda talks about Bill Gates' struggle to balance work and life during his prime in her last interview.

Sure so how about companies stop complaining about an increase in minimum wage for their hard working employees? You know...how any such increase is bound to destroy life as we know it on earth? Or is it OK to constantly cap the income of hard working plebe because as the plebe they don't deserve it?
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-16, 06:49 AM)Stevie_Y Wrote: Oh good, a CNN article.

So concentration of wealth isn't happening because it's a CNN article?
Thanks given by: tmleafer
(2019-05-16, 08:02 AM)Ryu65 Wrote: My biggest question is how the number of billionaires "doubled" since the last financial crisis? While most people got poorer and are struggling to make a living, 1000 people found a way to become billionaires.

It's because they work so much harder than anyone else.
Thanks given by: Lagavulin
(2019-05-16, 08:23 AM)Captain aHab Wrote:
(2019-05-16, 08:02 AM)Ryu65 Wrote: My biggest question is how the number of billionaires "doubled" since the last financial crisis? While most people got poorer and are struggling to make a living, 1000 people found a way to become billionaires.

Harder than minimum wage workers without a doubt.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-16, 08:58 AM)poppabyrd Wrote:
(2019-05-16, 08:23 AM)Captain aHab Wrote:

Harder than minimum wage workers without a doubt.

Define "hard" for me and then we'll see....I know a guy who works in trash collection...his back is completely focked up even though he does his best to stay in shape...think he doesn't work hard?
Thanks given by:
Let's say for shiots and giggles that a billionaire "only" makes $1M per year (probably chump change for them). The average salary in Canada is $56000 for a 40 hour work week. Do you think the billionaire consistently works 16 times harder than the average worker?

I think we crossed the line a LONG time ago where the wage discrepancy was mostly related to hard work. There is certainly hard work involved but not enough of a difference to call the wage discrepancies reasonable.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-16, 08:20 AM)Captain aHab Wrote:

So concentration of wealth isn't happening because it's a CNN article?

#blinders
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:

https://www.oxfam.org/en/pressroom/press...-last-year
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-16, 08:23 AM)Captain aHab Wrote:

Such a misconception.

There are so many more social and economic factors at play here then just 'hard work'...

If everyone started at the exactly the same position at the starting line socially, economically then fine. But that's just simply not the case.

Thanks given by:
My guess is most people with a lot of money got it from Daddy, and never worked hard a day in there lives.

Most people I know who work, work hard, this idea that rich people work harder is bullshit.
"when the lights come on this whole place gets ugly"
Thanks given by: Lagavulin
https://people.com/tv/kardashian-jenner-net-worth/
Thanks given by: