Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
They just upped the price....
...on pay per view movie rentals (Bell) from $5.99 to $6.99. 

I can't fault them though, I'm sure they must be struggling if they had to raise the price.
It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled -Mark Twain
Thanks given by:
For $7.99 per month you can have thousands of movies, TV shows, documentaries, and comedy specials.

Kind of a no brainer.
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-12, 09:39 AM)Limestoner Wrote: For $7.99 per month you can have thousands of movies, TV shows, documentaries, and comedy specials.

Kind of a no brainer.

I get your point Lime, but those are not current releases.
It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled -Mark Twain
Thanks given by:
Well each to their own I suppose, but I can easily watch a movie a year or two after it's been released and enjoy it just as much as if I'd seen it when it was released. If I want to see something as soon as it comes out I'll go to the theatre.

It's a much better experience and not much more money than paying Bell to watch it at home.
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
I think it used to be
$3.99 and $4.99couple of years ago when I was with Rogers

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
People said I was dumb but I proved them. Fry from Futurama 
Good Day and Good Mental Health Frasier
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-12, 09:48 AM)Limestoner Wrote: Well each to their own I suppose, but I can easily watch a movie a year or two after it's been released and enjoy it just as much as if I'd seen it when it was  released. If I want to see something as soon as it comes out I'll go to the theatre.

It's a much better experience and not much more money than paying Bell to watch it at home.

My wife and I just went to the movies this weekend to see A Star is Born. 

Almost $30.00 admission
And I know treats are optional, but it's part of the movie going experience. 
$22.00 + tax for a popcorn 2 drinks and a small candy. 

Just sayin', a night at the movies is not all that cheap.
Thanks given by:
You're on a fixed income, right? Go on Tuesday. It's $15 for two seats. Hit the Bulk Barn on the way and put some candy in your pockets. Buy an overpriced coke if you have to, or better yet put a little flask in your breast pocket. Cool

Gotta shop smart, Divit!
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by: divit
Come on Divit. Why would you want to watch a movie in your own home, on your time, on any day of the week, with as many people as you want, for $7?

If you pay $7.50 per person (just on Tuesdays of course) you can drive to a theatre to watch a movie on their schedule, sit in front of a movie-talker, and sneak swigs from your flask (gotta sneak it in though).

The two experiences are practically identical so I don't get why you're not shopping smart.
Thanks given by:
Have you considered a hybrid - get Netflix and apply to money you save on rentals to going out for a movie?
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-12, 10:39 AM)Hieremias Wrote: Come on Divit. Why would you want to watch a movie in your own home, on your time, on any day of the week, with as many people as you want, for $7?

If you pay $7.50 per person (just on Tuesdays of course) you can drive to a theatre to watch a movie on their schedule, sit in front of a movie-talker, and sneak swigs from your flask (gotta sneak it in though).

The two experiences are practically identical so I don't get why you're not shopping smart.

Lol, touche.

However in my defence, I was responding to the notion of a $50 movie outing, prefaced by saying each to their own, before relaying my own preferences.
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
The University here in London turns a lecture room into a movie theatre and the cost is reasonable.
If you live in a place with a University or College look to see if they have something similar, I doubt Western is unique

Students -- $5.00
Students on Tuesday -- $4.00
General Public -- $6.25
General Public on Tuesdays-- $4.75
Children All Shows - $4.75

http://westernfilm.online
Thanks given by:
For me there's no comparison to the actual theatre experience. Of course I don't have a home theatre set up like some folks do though.
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
here's the thing

I have never understood really what the big deal is of small screen vs big screen, I always thought the sound was what really changed the experience from home vs theater, and depending on your level of enthusiasm and budget, you can now recreate the whole thing in your own home

id rather wait, get the blu ray and watch at home in peace and quiet, I've put enough time and money into my home theater that I can't justify spending anything at the movie theater

also Tuesdays were 2 bucks when I was a kid lol
Life... dreams... hope...
Where do they come from?
And where do they go...?

Such meaningless things... I'll destroy them all!

Thanks given by:
(2018-10-12, 10:33 AM)Limestoner Wrote: You're on a fixed income, right? Go on Tuesday. It's $15 for two seats. Hit the Bulk Barn on the way and put some candy in your pockets. Buy an overpriced coke if you have to, or better yet put a little flask in your breast pocket.  Cool

Gotta shop smart, Divit!

Bulk Barn is my go-to before a movie. Always.
Humboldt Broncos SJHL April 6, 2018
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-12, 11:21 AM)binder Wrote: here's the thing

I have never understood really what the big deal is of small screen vs big screen, I always thought the sound was what really changed the experience from home vs theater, and depending on your level of enthusiasm and budget, you can now recreate the whole thing in your own home

id rather wait, get the blu ray and watch at home in peace and quiet, I've put enough time and money into my home theater that I can't justify spending anything at the movie theater

also Tuesdays were 2 bucks when I was a kid lol

This is my thinking too.

There are exactly three reasons why I may go to the theatre:
  1. I'm really impatient to see the movie, been anticipating it for a long time, or I'm particularly afraid of it being spoiled before it comes to BluRay. This is valid for something like Star Wars or Infinity War.
  2. It was filmed specifically for IMAX, like Dunkirk.
  3. It's a movie my buddy and I want to see and our wives wouldn't be interested.
In those cases I will go to the theatre. Otherwise absolutely everything about the theatre-going experience is inferior to my home. I go out to the movies maybe twice a year yet I see dozens of movies at home. 

I haven't been to the theatre yet in 2018 because there have been no movies that fit my criteria above. I might go see Overlord in November due to criteria #3. But that assumes we can find a good showtime on a night we can both go out--and none of that 3D shit so that eliminates most of the good showtimes right off the bat.
Thanks given by: binder
I'm with limer - nothing compares to the actual theatre experience. Especially VIP, where you can pick your seats and arrive whenever you want. Size of screen is just as important as sound quality. I can't see how you could value you one and then dismiss the other. I have a newborn, so the home viewing equipment won't get upgraded anytime soon, but when it does, it still won't replace the experience of going out to the theatre.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-12, 11:27 AM)lewis94 Wrote:
(2018-10-12, 10:33 AM)Limestoner Wrote: You're on a fixed income, right? Go on Tuesday. It's $15 for two seats. Hit the Bulk Barn on the way and put some candy in your pockets. Buy an overpriced coke if you have to, or better yet put a little flask in your breast pocket.  Cool

Gotta shop smart, Divit!

Bulk Barn is my go-to before a movie. Always.

My Windsor friends had never snuck in stuff during a theatre. As a seasoned veteran, I was asked to sneak in Taco Bell, candy, and a can of pop lol. To each their own but I've never been a can of popcorn during a movie. If I'm gonna eat i have to eat a proper meal while watching something.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Nice to hear why people prefer one over the other. Both have their respective flaws and pros. I personally like streaming services more because I find myself watching more ad a result lf them. The movies for me are a group activity with friends as they always involve dinner and hang outs after. Granted the "i have to see it asap" factor is there for certain films
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Some movies (fewer and fewer) just need to be seen on a BIG cinema screen. So I will cough up the $ for my wife and I.

Some evenings I want to watch a "new release" and will rent it from Shaw On Demand.

Most movies I can now wait til its on Netflix, TMN Go or Prime.
Thanks given by:
For the record I do have Netflix. The best bang for your buck in entertainment.

My wife and I used to go to the movies every week when we lived in Toronto and Mississauga.
Since we moved to small town ON a number of years ago we rarely get to go anymore, unless we are willing to drive for an hour and a half.
We were in Mississauga this past weekend to spend Thanksgiving with my family. So we took the opportunity to take in A Star is Born. A movie that appealed to us both. We took our #2 son along with us as he is a music junkie/aficionado and wanted to see it as well.

Lady Gaga was good, but Bradley Cooper was exceptional. Best actor nomination for sure. And who knew the guy could SING.
Thanks given by: