Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Touching Bergevin story
He may not be good at his job, but he's a good man.

Humboldt Broncos SJHL April 6, 2018
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-09, 01:03 PM)lewis94 Wrote: He may not be good at his job, but he's a good man.

The tweet link isn't working. At least not with my computer.
Thanks given by:
Fixed, you might have to refresh.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-09, 01:10 PM)lewis94 Wrote: Fixed, you might have to refresh.

Good story, thanks for sharing.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-09, 01:03 PM)lewis94 Wrote: He may not be good at his job, but he's a good man.

Easy to say someone is not good at their job when you don't have to actually do it..
º¤ø ¸„ø¤GO HABS GOø¤º°¨¨¨°º¤
Weed Wacker – and Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

Thanks given by:
Jeez, that wasn't the point of the post, but his poor trades aren't really up for debate, whether I could be a GM or not.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-09, 01:17 PM)Mavid Wrote:

Easy to say someone is not good at their job when you don't have to actually do it..

You don't have to be able to do a job to recognize when someone is doing a job badly. I can't sing to save my life but that doesn't mean I can't tell when someone is a terrible singer. There's also something to be said for not taking a job you know you can't do.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-09, 01:54 PM)lewis94 Wrote: Jeez, that wasn't the point of the post, but his poor trades aren't really up for debate, whether I could be a GM or not.

No, it clearly was not the point of the thread.
You found a feel-good human interest story, and wanted to share it.
Unfortunately, groupthink is usually trying to dictate the
tone and context of threads around here.

It is a good find / thanks for sharing it !
Wink
Thanks given by:
Well dont get all over the original poster. Most on here know I dont think MB is as bad as sone hard core anti MB Hab fans on here...yet I may have intro it rhe same way so as to not get ppl posting that altho a nice story, he is still a bad GM...and rhen derail this post as always.

Anyways. Yes he lost his mom. (Dont think it was not at early age, I thought it was whem he was an adult. Anyways when he got the job and one of rhe many interviews he just said his one wish was that hia mom would have seen this day and he was all teary eyed. Most of us have great relationship with our parents and losing one hurts a lot. Glad he stepped up to help.
Thanks given by:
I don't wanna hear any stories about touching or smelling Bergevin.
C'est quoi le maudit plan?!!
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-09, 02:02 PM)mada7 Wrote:

You don't have to be able to do a job to recognize when someone is doing a job badly. I can't sing to save my life but that doesn't mean I can't tell when someone is a terrible singer. There's also something to be said for not taking a job you know you can't do.
Well I think you do, were I work there are many departments, some complain about others while having really no idea what is involved in a days work. My husband was a manager..if I had a quarter for everyone who thought Managers sat around and did SFA all day I would be retired..the truth was the opposite..he worked his butt off..singing is a pretty piss poor example..I always said that part of our orientation should be having to spend a few hours shadowing someone to see what they really did in a day..it would be an eye opener..none of us have any idea what its like to be a GM of a professional hockey team..

Thanks given by:
(2018-08-09, 02:09 PM)D Mex Wrote:
(2018-08-09, 01:54 PM)lewis94 Wrote: Jeez, that wasn't the point of the post, but his poor trades aren't really up for debate, whether I could be a GM or not.

No, it clearly was not the point of the thread.
You found a feel-good human interest story, and wanted to share it.
Unfortunately, groupthink is usually trying to dictate the
tone and context of threads around here.

It is a good find / thanks for sharing it !
Wink
Sorry for highjacking the thread..it could have been just said he is a good man..period..and I could have just let it go..I won't be doing it again

Thanks given by:

yea...sorry

Thanks given by:
(2018-08-09, 05:59 PM)Mavid Wrote:
(2018-08-09, 02:02 PM)mada7 Wrote:

Well I think you do, were I work there are many departments, some complain about others while having really no idea what is involved in a days work. My husband was a manager..if I had a quarter for everyone who thought Managers sat around and did SFA all day I would be retired..the truth was the opposite..he worked his butt off..singing is a pretty piss poor example..I always said that part of our orientation should be having to spend a few hours shadowing someone to see what they really did in a day..it would be an eye opener..none of us have any idea what its like to be a GM of a professional hockey team..

While that is certainly the case about day to day work, results speak for themselves. I'm sure Bergevin tries hard and works hard but the results of his work are still poor and that's ultimately what someone gets judged on. Just like when Gomez was here I'm sure he worked very hard and tried his best but the results weren't there and that's ultimately what matters. To use the example of a business, if one room in the office is consistently filthy then the cleaning staff aren't doing a good job regardless of how hard they work or what else they did. If a construction company built a house that has foundation and roof problems within the first year of the house being built the construction company did a bad job regardless of whether I can do a better one or how hard they worked.
Thanks given by:
That was a nice story. Thanks, Lewis, for sharing it.
Thanks given by:
I dont think anyone ever said Bergevin isnt a good person or that he isnt trying. I am sure he is trying and a story like this shows that he is a good person and from what I have heard he does go out of his way to help people or charities or organizations, and I am sure way more than he "went out of his way" to help Chantal.

As for the comments about not knowing whether he is bad at his job because none of us have ever done it, well I am in complete disagreement there. In sports, as in business, results are what matters and like it or not it all falls on the lap of the one running the show. Perhaps he is a good GM but surrounded himself with bad people. What ever the reason why the Habs find themselves in the NHL basement all falls on the shoulders of the GM.
Thanks given by:
We can totally judge him. His plan was to overpay a guy like Alzner and keep stiffs like RDS and Benn and not 6months later the plan was youth and speed. Did it really take him this long to realize that this is where the league is heading? That shift has been obvious for a few years already.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-10, 02:11 PM)Captain aHab Wrote: We can totally judge him. His plan was to overpay a guy like Alzner and keep stiffs like RDS and Benn and not 6months later the plan was youth and speed. Did it really take him this long to realize that this is where the league is heading? That shift has been obvious for a few years already.

Right, but the question here is context.
This is a thread about Bergevin doing a good deed as a person, going out of his way to help someone in need. Is it really the appropriate place to discuss the merits of his player acquisition strategy or lack thereof?
There's 18-dozen threads about Bergevin the GM where he performance as a GM can be discussed.
Does the fact that he is the GM outweigh all other aspects and automatically allow for criticism of actions outside the parameters of the story that started off the thread? Or for a preemptive defense of Bergevin like Mavid did (who has since apologized for highjacking the thread)?
On the other hand would we be discussing Bergevin at all if he wasn't the GM of the canadiens? Would he have been able to offer Chantal the help if he were not the GM? If he was equipment manager could he have helped her as he did? If not, does this allow for criticism of his tenure as GM in a thread about a humanitarian act?
Most importantly, why are you making me discuss philosophical and ethical questions on my lunch hour? It's my f$^*&^^ LUNCH HOUR!!!
Thanks given by: LizMc , LizMc
(2018-08-10, 02:35 PM)Grimjim Wrote:
(2018-08-10, 02:11 PM)Captain aHab Wrote: We can totally judge him. His plan was to overpay a guy like Alzner and keep stiffs like RDS and Benn and not 6months later the plan was youth and speed. Did it really take him this long to realize that this is where the league is heading? That shift has been obvious for a few years already.

This is a thread about Bergevin doing a good deed as a person, going out of his way to help someone in need. Is it really the appropriate place to discuss the merits of his player acquisition strategy or lack thereof?
There's 18-dozen threads about Bergevin the GM where he performance as a GM can be discussed.
Does the fact that he is the GM outweigh all other aspects and automatically allow for criticism of actions outside the parameters of the story that started off the thread? Or for a preemptive defense of Bergevin like Mavid did (who has since apologized for highjacking the thread)?
On the other hand would we be discussing Bergevin at all if he wasn't the GM of the canadiens? Would he have been able to offer Chantal the help if he were not the GM? If he was equipment manager could he have helped her as he did? If not, does this allow for criticism of his tenure as GM in a thread about a humanitarian act?
Most importantly, why are you making me discuss philosophical and ethical questions on my lunch hour? It's my f$^*&^^ LUNCH HOUR!!!

I would be in shock to hear he was a prick as well as a bad GM. Happy
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-10, 04:04 PM)Habcertain Wrote:
(2018-08-10, 02:35 PM)Grimjim Wrote:

I would be in shock to hear he was a prick as well as a bad GM. Happy

One might suggest that his very likable decent nature was what got him the job in the first place, as his front office credentials were limited.

MB, you're a decent guy according to this story, that does the decent thing.  Maybe that's why we heard the quote about helping secure the team's future, no matter who the GM is down the road.
Thanks given by: