Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Trade Deadline 2018 -- Rumours Leading Up?
(Yesterday, 04:48 PM)DDO_Habs_Fan Wrote: Supposedly now the Blues have made the best offer for Max (hockeybuzzkill).

This is ridiculous. In the end, nobody truly knows what a GM is truly thinking...even when they talk. The best I can come up with is:
1) if a player is UFA, he's most likely gone. Get an asset now and try to resign in the summer if need be.
2) if the player is a star UFA then his acquisition is dependent on the corresponding price for an available star player with a contract.
3) teams prefer to acquire players with contract...obviously

The preference on whether to acquire star players with and without contracts is going to be obviously directly correlated with the price for both type of players.

Example: supposedly Nashvile is interested in either Nash or Max (not sure why not Hoffman when you have his center Turris but I digress).

The price for Nash is supposedly a top prospect and a 1st rounder. If this is the case then you are better off working a deal for Max because with a little more you basically get two UFAs (this year and next)....better value. If the price for Nash drops to a 1st rounder, Poile makes that deal right now...better value. It is a freaking game of chicken until a deal is made and the market is set.

There is no doubt teams are looking at acquiring players with contract so there is a stalemate now until someone gives in; especially with the high price for UFAs. What is interesting to see is if a star UFA (Nash, Grabner, Kane, etc.) or a star contract (Max, Hoff, McDon etc.) gets dealt first...especially if a star UFA goes for one asset only. Then you're going to see a masssive sell-of of UFAs with acquiring GMs looking for a bargain and selling GMs trying to get the best possible deal before it's too late. Can't wait to watch this show.

I appreciate all this talk, but with MB heading the charge we must "expect the unexpected".  I don't expect this guy to do anything good.  He'll probably trade Max for some 5th line grit.

I appreciate your posts, I'm just so over this GM.  Anything that happens with him still employed leaves me with a complete sense of "not-give-a-shit-ness" because we have a blind, dumb captain steering this ship right into an iceberg.
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 03:40 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote: Well can we strike STL off our list of buyers for Max? Rumor that they r close in getting either Hoffman or Brassard from Sens.

You may ask why them and not Max? Prob because Ott is not set on the returning having to be a C. They will gladly take a young winger or two. The players STL may give up on a trade are not what Habs want

SO THIS IS MY QUESTION TO U ALL... How upset will you be if

#1. Max doesn't get traded

#2 if Max gets traded for a good young player but it's not a C

#3. If we can't get a C or a LD to play with Weber, should we just keep and resign Max?

1. This year that's fine. If he isn't traded at all and either walks as a free agent or signed to a stupid long term contract I'd be very upset because it's more hamster wheel garbage.

2. I'd be fine with that as I'd rather tank and rebuild to get our own top centre.

3. Absolutely not. We're not going anywhere with him as the leader of the team and his next contract is going to be brutal for whoever signs it. He's going to be looking for a big payday while at an age where his play will only stay at its current levels for a couple of years at most then will become an albatross
Thanks given by:
if MB is in charge I want easy obvious moves made and then shit can him and start over...clean house.

of his mistakes PK, Shaw, Pateryn, Alzner, Rads, Markov, Price contract (jesus my fingers hurt) - the worst one and the biggest sign of ineptitude and desperation was signing CJ to 5 years....what a complete tool this guy is.
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 05:27 PM)adamkennelly Wrote: if MB is in charge I want easy obvious moves made and then shit can him and start over...clean house.

of his mistakes  PK, Shaw, Pateryn, Alzner, Rads, Markov, Price contract (jesus my fingers hurt) - the worst one and the biggest sign of ineptitude and desperation was signing CJ to 5 years....what a complete tool this guy is.

And he himself is locked in with his contract (that Geoff so generously preemptively handed out with zero sign of consistent results) until 2089.

Cry
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 05:33 PM)Habysmal Wrote:
(Yesterday, 05:27 PM)adamkennelly Wrote: if MB is in charge I want easy obvious moves made and then shit can him and start over...clean house.

of his mistakes  PK, Shaw, Pateryn, Alzner, Rads, Markov, Price contract (jesus my fingers hurt) - the worst one and the biggest sign of ineptitude and desperation was signing CJ to 5 years....what a complete tool this guy is.

And he himself is locked in with his contract (that Geoff so generously preemptively handed out with zero sign of consistent results) until 2089.

Cry

Will you guys quit being so negative?!  Grin 

It's upsetting my zen time!  lol

Sigh, let's pray Molson knows this year's not another anomaly, but a clear sign of going in the wrong direction.  Then we'll see if he's got the cajones to do what's necessary, cause it's going to be costly.
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 05:50 PM)Gerry Pigeon Wrote:

Cry

Sigh, let's pray Molson knows this year's not another anomaly, but a clear sign of going in the wrong direction.  Then we'll see if he's got the cajones to do what's necessary, cause it's going to be costly.

very costly but worth it and do it now....I don't live in MTL anymore but man - he's gotta feel the complete apathy setting in....
Thanks given by: Gerry Pigeon , Gerry Pigeon
(Yesterday, 05:53 PM)adamkennelly Wrote:

Cry

very costly but worth it and do it now....I don't live in MTL anymore but man - he's gotta feel the complete apathy setting in....
In business it's absolutely essential to know when to cut your losses.

If you're going to eat it, may as well eat the least amount of it possible.  Errors are made, but these errors need to be mitigated to prevent even more long term issues from setting in.

So at this point, eat that unearned contract extension you gave MB and can his ass now to prevent further damage.  Pretty simple.

Unless Molson does in fact still believe in MB and does in fact think he's the one to right the ship.

If that's the case, then the problem is even worse than we think it may be.  And that is the REAL point at which hope is lost.

SaveSave
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 06:07 PM)Habysmal Wrote:
(Yesterday, 05:53 PM)adamkennelly Wrote:

Cry

In business it's absolutely essential to know when to cut your losses.

If you're going to eat it, may as well eat the least amount of it possible.  Errors are made, but these errors need to be mitigated to prevent even more long term issues from setting in.

So at this point, eat that unearned contract extension you gave MB and can his ass now to prevent further damage.  Pretty simple.

Unless Molson does in fact still believe in MB and does in fact think he's the one to right the ship.

If that's the case, then the problem is even worse than we think it may be.  And that is the REAL point at which hope is lost.

SaveSave

There's ALWAYS hope!  Grin

It just might be found supporting another team....lol.  Go Jets Go!

Seriously, Jets are my playoff team this year. God forbid the Leafs win the Cup this spring, it would be unbearable.
Thanks given by:
I guess the purpose of trades is to make your team better by strengthening it or shaking it up - the Sun Tzu school of thought but the time for that was October.
Neither of those things does the Habs any good this season. One is too late, the other not enough.

Teams rolling into the playoffs and getting into an arms race with other contenders aren't looking to weaken themselves, so they're selling prospects and picks.
Teams not in the playoffs, like Montreal, are looking to the future and selling off upcoming UFA for a possible benefit. It is rare the UFA returns to the team doing the selling off.

It has been a year since Julien came into the picture. Now I wish Bergevin hadn't decimated his D and let Rads go or traded Sergachev so we'd get a fair look at the difference Julien made or didn't. But after a year and the dismal playoff performance by the team it is moderately safe to say that Julien's 16-8 last season was the new coach bump that teams get.

A new coach bump proves a couple things. One, you need to apply the Sun Tzu take a head, make the example method, toute suite. The second of course is that you don't know your players and it is likely they don't know each other well either - because you can't tell who's dogging it and who isn't. Otherwise you wouldn't be in this position.

So I'd say you're looking at Deslauriers, Carr, Schlemko, Pleks, Niemi, Logan Shaw, Jerabek maybe out by the 26th. Picks, RFA to be untendered,  or prospects back. Then something savage before UFA time, if at all.

They'll probably just stand pat and work on their speeches. It isn't like they're losing money, they even cash in on some re-sales now.
Thanks given by:
[Image: QgLdOvF.gif]

credit: H4L artwork
Thanks given by: Captain aHab , Captain aHab , New , New
Thanks given by:
I wonder what WPG would want for Marko Dano? A 4th or 5th would be a good investment. Give him a trial at center with Chuck and JD on the wings. He may be the next William Karlsson.
Thanks given by:
(Today, 02:48 AM)sieve Wrote:

Shame really. No one likes to spend as much as four months living out of a suitcase, then moving family and baggage. Every now and then you get trades that take a chance, like Sergachev, and it makes one team a lot better. Everything fits. But most times it doesn't seem to work out.

Look at Petry, no matter where he gets to his team struggles to even get into the playoffs. Buckets of talent but everybody loses around him. Imagine what would happen if he was on a good team for once?
Thanks given by:
http://www.tvasports.ca/2018/02/17/les-b...pacioretty

Pacioretty for Blues prospect Robert Thomas ? But chances are he stays with the Habs?

Justin Faulk for Andrew Shaw?

Plekanec is worth only a 3rd or 4th round pick?
Thanks given by:
(3 hours ago)Strummer Wrote: http://www.tvasports.ca/2018/02/17/les-b...pacioretty

Pacioretty for Blues prospect Robert Thomas ? But chances are he stays with the Habs?

Nothing really new about points 1 and 3. Talking about Robert Thomas is pure speculation by Louis Jean and the Blues have apparently said they are not trading him. Bobby Mac has said he thinks Pleks is worth a 4th, maybe gusting up to a 3rd.

The Justin Faulk for Shaw one is again pure speculation. Says the Canes would like to trade Faulk for a forward with grit and Jean simply wonders if Shaw might be a fit.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by:

You have to add too the contract offers he made that were almost accepted (down to two offers). He made huge contract offers to Lucic and Bonino. Look at their numbers playing on offensive teams. You think it is bad now, MB almost wiped the team's cap for 5-7 years on mediocre players (unfortunately Alzner said yes).

Do people really want to go into another off-season with this type of judgement? You think this team would have been better with Lucic and Bonino added to Alzner? What possible kind of scouting and evaluation possibly can conclude these guys are elite players??? Add to that trying to trade Chucky at his lowest value while ignoring the opportunity to trade Max at his highest. Now, just 6 months later he wants to trade Max at his lowest value.

MB had to come up big last summer...and he bombed. Like what does he have to do to get fired???
Thanks given by:
(3 hours ago)Strummer Wrote: http://www.tvasports.ca/2018/02/17/les-b...pacioretty

You know how fast MB would make this deal? LOL

As for Thomas, every day that passes I just can't see the Blues giving up this guy unless it is for a major signed asset like Price. The one factor people have not talked about is how good 19 year olds have played this year. If this is a new reality and not just a "one-off" then guys like Thomas and Kyrou could be ready next season. Plus top-six scoring centers are the most valuable asset in hockey...why would anyone risk giving up such a player for a temporary asset. I had high initial hopes of the Habs grabbing players like Kyrou and Thomas but it is waning now. The feeling I keep getting now is that no one will meet MB's price and he will trade Max to a team who wants to sign him long-term in the summer.

Anyway too bad Niemi bombed last night...there goes getting anything for him...at least the Habs played him.
Thanks given by:
Renaud Lavoie has never come out with a rumour or prediction that ever came true
Thanks given by:
McCagg reports on BOB
Thanks given by:
(1 hour ago)sieve Wrote: McCagg reports on BOB

Thanks sieve for your twitter leaks and humor. You add a lot to this site.
Thanks given by: