Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Trade Deadline 2018 -- Rumours Leading Up?
(2018-02-28, 08:54 AM)krob1000 Wrote:
(2018-02-27, 08:40 PM)DDO_Habs_Fan Wrote:
(2018-02-27, 08:34 PM)bchippie Wrote: If Kane doesn't re-sign with the Sharks, Montreal might have got more for Plekanec than what Buffalo got for Kane.

TOR 2nd round pick + Valiev + Rychel vs SJ 2nd round pick, SJ 4th round pick and O`Regan

They gave up a 2nd round pick for a player with 6 goals who will only play 10-12 min/game. I can't believe there are analysts who think that was a good deal for Toronto. Yes Pleks is a solid player but he can't produce offensively at all. There are always talented players available in the 2nd round. Heck you can use a 2nd rounder to trade for a player with term. MB hosed Toronto.

IMPORTANT NOTE RE THAT TRADE:

I believe it was Toronto who played Boston when Bergeron "hurt" his foot (in Toronto) so they would have seen him in "walking boot".  I also believe that Toronto's most likely opponent is Boston.....so in a sense it was like  one of those "four point" games we talk of....not only did they get Pleks...but they prevented Boston from getting Pleks.....that is my theory anyway on why they jumped on it so quick...and gave up what they did...

Lou said the deal was done before the Sat night game...that's why Pleks sat. When was Bergeron injured?
Thanks given by:
(2018-02-28, 11:56 AM)Haba-daba-do Wrote:
(2018-02-27, 08:34 PM)bchippie Wrote: If Kane doesn't re-sign with the Sharks, Montreal might have got more for Plekanec than what Buffalo got for Kane.

TOR 2nd round pick + Valiev + Rychel vs SJ 2nd round pick, SJ 4th round pick and O`Regan

They gave up a 2nd round pick for a player with 6 goals who will only play 10-12 min/game. I can't believe there are analysts who think that was a good deal for Toronto. Yes Pleks is a solid player but he can't produce offensively at all. There are always talented players available in the 2nd round. Heck you can use a 2nd rounder to trade for a player with term. MB hosed Toronto.

I believe it was Toronto who played Boston when Bergeron "hurt" his foot (in Toronto) so they would have seen him in "walking boot".  I also believe that Toronto's most likely opponent is Boston.....so in a sense it was like  one of those "four point" games we talk of....not only did they get Pleks...but they prevented Boston from getting Pleks.....that is my theory anyway on why they jumped on it so quick...and gave up what they did...

Lou said the deal was done before the Sat night game...that's why Pleks sat.  When was Bergeron injured?

During that Sat night game ....if deal was done why not finalize? and since when do they update us when deals were done the night before? guilty conscience Lou?
Thanks given by:
I think it depends on what is meant by fast, or for that matter young. McDavid is young and fast. Matthews is young and slower than McDavid. The Habs would be lucky to have either. Neither is faster than a pass. 

Shea Weber, if media are to be believed, was injured game one. In 26 games he averaged about 3 shots that got through per game. I can pretty well guess that when the puck got to Weber and he had a step the focus was on Weber and not the other four Habs out there with him. He got 16 points (six goals) playing on a busted foot. 

You can guess fairly confidently the Habs would have cashed in 30 more goals with a healthy Weber and had 30 fewer scored on them. More shots would be flinched away from, tipped, bounced to an open Habs player, the whole thing. Just the threat changes the game. And the standings.

So with a healthy Weber you're in the playoffs and the fact that he is shooting 8% while the forwards who should be shooting >10% are hitting 7.6% would be unnoticed. Then in the playoffs the opposing coach would just get on Weber, shut him out, and the Habs suddenly would not be able to score.

Key players make a huge difference, but if you can not take and receive a pass it really doesn't matter how fast you are. Puck pushing will only take you so far. When the competition ramps up you have to be able to make plays and bury that puck.

Weber has never been described as fleet of foot. Now Yvan Cournoyer was fleet of foot. He also practiced with an iron puck and buried every shot he could, made saucer passes onto your stick, and got through bigger players. It takes a combination. And the times have changed. But if you look at a team who Montreal should be competing regular season with, say Pittsburg, and notice the shooting percentage of the forwards and the D you see the same trends as with the Cournoyer teams. Forwards close, shoot better. Defense back, shoot badder.  

The players on Pittsburg shoot 2% points better than Montreal. That is all. Yet he forwards shoot in the teens to high teens. Montreal has a five forwards in the teens and three of them are limited minute fourth liners. Morrow was their highest percentage D shooter and they let him go because goals don't come from there usually.

All to say there is not all that much wrong with the Habs that a little drive, practice, a little patience and effort wouldn't fix. Stop chasing the puck only to throw it away, make chances not changes, and it will work out. The big shot from the point isn't needed as much as plays from the point are. 

(Plays from the point are not cruising back to it with the puck and circling the zone as Eller and a favorite of mine are now wont to do. That is just going where they won't chase you. Cycling the puck is about drawing more than one opponent to you, not being by yourself with the puck. If you find yourself like that then you will have no play to make, everyone else is outnumbered by opponents.)
Thanks given by:
(2018-02-28, 12:11 PM)krob1000 Wrote:
(2018-02-28, 11:56 AM)Haba-daba-do Wrote:

Lou said the deal was done before the Sat night game...that's why Pleks sat.  When was Bergeron injured?

During that Sat night game ....if deal was done why not finalize? and since when do they update us when deals were done the night before? guilty conscience Lou?

heard Lou on toronto radio myself. He said the parameters of the deal were already in place before the game Sat night.
Thanks given by:
Simple question: imagine if MB gave a 2nd rounder last season to acquire at the deadline a 35 year old 4th line center with 6 goals....what do you think the reaction here would have been?
Rest my case.
Thanks given by:
DDO we get it...you don't think highly of Pleks

Lou does. Says he is the type of player who can slot anywhere in line up (ie more then a 4th liner). Last night he took Matthews spot with Nylander and Hyman on his side. Got an assist.

He did not go there for goals. He went to be a C with a good f/o %, good on PK, good vet presence that you can trust late in games, good to fill in short term higher in line up

Gee they even had him on PP last night (seeing how he was playing 1C role lol)

It goes way beyond the 6 goals. And he is waaaayyyy more then a 4th rounder. Which is why MB and Pleks have already talked about him possibly returning next year (altho wonder if that was before the young/fast new vision for the team lol.....but honestly why I don't believe the young/fast talk)

As it's deadline day, I had no doubt they could get "more" then he is valued at (as most trades should on this day). But I never expected less then a 3rd plus mid prospect.

And yes we would have freaked if MB gave up 2nd rounder for a 4th liner....we freak that he gave up Washington's 5th rounder for Reilly.....
Thanks given by:
Well I didn't hear anybody freaking out over giving up a 5th for Reilly. That was a no brainer given the guys here.
Thanks given by: