Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade Season Underway: Jays trade Steve Pearce to Red Sox
(2018-07-31, 03:05 PM)Chris D Wrote: Question is....who the hell will pitch for the Jays?

Bullpen is gone

I'd be surprised if Clippard isn't moved sometime in August too. And Estrada possibly as well.

Lots of new faces on the pitching staff.
Thanks given by:
So this summer's sell off so far:

OUT:

Steve Pearce
Seung Hwan Oh
J.A. Happ
Roberto Osuna
Aaron Loup
John Axford

IN: (rank in Jays Top 30 prospects)

Santiago Espinal (24th)
Chad Spanberger
Forrest Wall (26th)
Brandon Drury
Billy McKinney (19th)
Ken Giles
Hector Perez (11th)
David Paulino (20th)
Corey Copping
Jacob Waguespack
PTBNL or cash considerations
Thanks given by:
So which Jay(s) go in August?
Donaldson
Estrada
Martin
Solarte (sp)

Just wondering?
"Today is the best day of your life"
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-01, 02:26 PM)CaperLeaf Wrote: So which Jay(s) go in August?
Donaldson
Estrada
Martin
Solarte (sp)

Just wondering?

Hard to tell...they'd have to pass through waivers first
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
I would've thought with the last few months of good hitting Morales would've been on some teams lists, he's made a decent turn around and he's pretty cheap. The trade would also be cheap because, who cares at this point.

Martin has literally zero value imo.
His contract is horrible, he can barely hit these days, but i guess anything is possible. They did move the Vernon Wells contract...

Estrada makes the most sense and I'm surprised he wasn't moved before now.

Donaldson will be given a QO and I hope he matches and has a bounce back year so we can flip him for a contender.
But at the moment, he's useless.
O' for a good life, we just might have to weaken
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-01, 03:07 PM)Chris D Wrote:
(2018-08-01, 02:26 PM)CaperLeaf Wrote: So which Jay(s) go in August?
Donaldson
Estrada
Martin
Solarte (sp)

Just wondering?

Hard to tell...they'd have to pass through waivers first

I was reading on one of the networks web pages, that when a player in August is put on waivers there are three options. The the player can be recalled off waivers, kept or they have 2 days to make a deal with claiming team, keep the player or letbthe player go forbthe waiver price and shed the salary as in most of the guys like Martin. It also said sometimes a player like Stroman would be put on waivers in August to see what interest is out there!
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-01, 03:15 PM)Chip Wrote: I would've thought with the last few months of good hitting Morales would've been on some teams lists, he's made a decent turn around and he's pretty cheap. The trade would also be cheap because, who cares at this point.

Martin has literally zero value imo.
His contract is horrible, he can barely hit these days, but i guess anything is possible. They did move the Vernon Wells contract...

Estrada makes the most sense and I'm surprised he wasn't moved before now.

Donaldson will be given a QO and I hope he matches and has a bounce back year so we can flip him for a contender.
But at the moment, he's useless.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/bl...de-market/

KENDRYS MORALES

Morales earns $11 million this year and $12 million next year, so he’ll presumably clear waivers. He’s hitting, too, with a .320/.395/.539 batting line since ditching his glasses in May and a respectable 114 OPS+ on the season. Still, this one’s complicated because of all the money involved.

RUSSELL MARTIN

Martin earns $20 million per season this year and next, meaning he’ll almost certainly clear waivers. The Yankees are short on catching depth with Gary Sanchez sidelined, but they’re also looking to avoid competitive-balance tax penalties. It seems more likely that Martin stays put.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-31, 11:11 AM)thebest41587 Wrote: So only 10 guys were good enough at his age to do anything close to what he's done at his position. 

No, only 10 guys were really given the chance because teams almost never convert one of their best pitching prospects to a reliever at 20 years old. 

I'm not sure why you are having such a hard time seeing this. You follow baseball enough to know that its very rare for teams to do what the Jays did with Osuna.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-31, 10:17 PM)Unreal Wrote:
(2018-07-30, 10:08 PM)Andrew Wrote:
(2018-07-30, 06:04 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: The criminal case def lowered his trade value

According to Buster Olney some teams decided before hand to not pursue Osuna because of his domestic abuse charge. So there is no question there at all it lowered his value (as it should)

There was talk that they had a video that proved he was innocent.

Did the Jays find out that wasn't the case? If he's completely innocent, it might have made sense to keep him, let him pitch well next year and get a better return when his value increased.

I hadn't heard about a video. That's interesting. I did hear that the photos of the victim's face were pretty awful and that teams felt confident something significant enough had gone down to stay away from Osuna entirely. Plus, the fact that he didn't even appeal the 75 game suspension was interesting to me.

Anyway, good for the Jays for getting something from a player whose trade value plummeted the second he was arrested. Giles has a ton of upside if the Jays can fix the mental side of things. The stuff has always been there, he's just been a head case since the day he was drafted. The prospects aren't nothing either. Overall a good deadline for the Jays IMO. Hopefully they can move Estrada and Donaldson in August.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-02, 09:03 AM)Andrew Wrote:
(2018-07-31, 11:11 AM)thebest41587 Wrote: So only 10 guys were good enough at his age to do anything close to what he's done at his position. 

No, only 10 guys were really given the chance because teams almost never convert one of their best pitching prospects to a reliever at 20 years old. 

I'm not sure why you are having such a hard time seeing this. You follow baseball enough to know that its very rare for teams to do what the Jays did with Osuna.

That's actually part of my point though. He's a unique situation, and not in a bad way (typically). His value should've been higher because of it (were it not for the legal issues). He's the first of what could be a coming thing, and I feel he's not getting enough credit for it. He's a established all-star caliber closer at an age where most guys are still in AA/AAA struggling as a starter still before they are given up on and turned into a reliever. 

Given the ridiculous contracts handed out to relievers in recent years, the trade value seems a bit low IMO. And very low had circumstances been different. Teams seem to be putting a lot of value on setup men and closers in free agency lately. Just seems odd to me that the market values between free agency and trade are so far apart.
Thanks given by:
Entering tonight's game, Smoak is only 41 plate appearances away from 1100 PA's combined over the 17 and 18 seasons, which would bump the value of the club option next year from 7 million to 8 million (It was 6 million, but once he reached 950 PA's, it bumped up to 7).

Any chance Smoak gets traded this off season on that affordable contract? I can't see him getting through trade waivers, but if he did, would he be another candidate this month?
Thanks given by:
I feel like the Jays will want to hang onto Smoak until they see what Donaldson decides this offseason (provided he isn't traded himself in August). If he accepts a QO or re-signs, it's possible they may try to catch lightning in a bottle in 2019 with JD, Vladdy, Smoak and Hernandez in the heart of the lineup. That'd be a ton of power to have. If JD is not a Blue Jay, then I could see it precipitating a change of direction, one in which Smoak might be shopped.

Normally I would be skeptical of the market for a 31/32 year old first baseman, but his 129 wRC+ since the start of 2017 is 5th best among qualified 1B. There would be a few takers.
Thanks given by:
If Estrada continues to show the form he did tonight, I could see a team trying to acquire him in 2-3 weeks from now.
Thanks given by:
Oh the Jays actually made a trade today too. Gio Urshela to the Yankees for cash considerations.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-04, 09:16 PM)shadylane Wrote: I feel like the Jays will want to hang onto Smoak until they see what Donaldson decides this offseason (provided he isn't traded himself in August). If he accepts a QO or re-signs, it's possible they may try to catch lightning in a bottle in 2019 with JD, Vladdy, Smoak and Hernandez in the heart of the lineup. That'd be a ton of power to have. If JD is not a Blue Jay, then I could see it precipitating a change of direction, one in which Smoak might be shopped.

Normally I would be skeptical of the market for a 31/32 year old first baseman, but his 129 wRC+ since the start of 2017 is 5th best among qualified 1B. There would be a few takers.

I'm a bit surprised a team like the Rockies, who are in the hunt despite negative production at 1B, didnt try and snag him at the deadline. but then again the Rockies didnt do anything at the deadline.
Thanks given by:
Did they really do nothing? I hadn't noticed, just assumed they did something minor. I guess I shouldn't have though, since this is the Rockies, the team that continues to utilize an over-the-hill Ian Desmond as their starting first baseman. Kind of inexplicable for a team in the thick of the division race.
Thanks given by:
So last night Smoak hit 1100 plate appearances to officially jump the option to 8 million.
Thanks given by: