Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Travel to Portugal
Probably some experience on here I would imagine...I'm planning a one week trip to Portugal with my girlfriend and wondered if anyone has any suggestions for food, sights to see, etc, anything really. 

The only thing that is in stone at this point is the date (mid October) and we want to see both Lisbon and Porto. We plan on doing Air BnB's. 

We're big foodies, and we like a mix of culture and relaxing, festivals, and historical sites. Thanks in advance!
Thanks given by:
We stayed in Cascais,   just outside Lisbon.  It's beautiful.     Did a day trip to Sintra with the castle on the mountaintop, it was crazy busy.    Driving in Lisbon & surrounding areas was simple enough but trying to find parking anywhere was a nightmare.  So keep that in mind if you're renting a car.   

Drove to the Algarve for a few days & stayed in Quateira.    The water in the south was a lot warmer than in Cascais.   If you're lucky you might still be able to swim in October.

Portugal is great & fairly cheap for western Europe
Thanks given by:
We did Porto and the Algarve for a week last year during the last two weeks of September.

It was great. Weather was fantastic.

Porto is just a great place to hang around in. The trendy upscale bars, cafes and restaurants are actually very affordable compared to the rest of the continent. We just walked and walked and walked and found beautiful site after beautiful site wherever we went. I'll have to dig up our diaries to give the names of the places. But it's not a huge place so you can see all the major stuff in a couple of days. We stayed just north of the Bolhao market. It was about 15 minute walk down to the Ponte Luis, which is the main tourist area.

The beaches in Porto are very nice to hang around, but very cold. The Algarve is where you need to go for that stuff. We wish we did do a river tour of the Douro because it looked spectacular. I would avoid the tour of the Port distilleries. I didn't think the value was good.

We skipped over Lisbon because we wanted to do some beaching and the flight to Porto was cheaper. But I heard it's a great party city on the weekends. I would revisit Portugal just to see Lisbon.

The beaches in Algarve are among the best Europe, if not the best. A lot of the beaches around the Mediterranean are stony beaches. In Portgual it's beautful sand and the big waves off the Atlantic make it soooo fun.
Thanks given by:
If you're a foodie, as you say, go to this restaurant: 

https://fullest.pt/restaurantes/bellalisa-elevador/

Sit on the patio, and order the linguine that is "involved with the cheese."  Great location, and great food.  You can take in a good fado show not far from there as well.  As CTS mentioned, Sintra is a great place to go that is only a short drive from Lisbon. There you can walk some amazing gardens that includes an initiatic well and the caverns below: 
[Image: Portugal-0776-HDR.jpg?ssl=1]
Thanks given by:
Thanks gents, much appreciated!
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-16, 05:04 PM)Whattagame Wrote: If you're a foodie, as you say, go to this restaurant: 

https://fullest.pt/restaurantes/bellalisa-elevador/

Sit on the patio, and order the linguine that is "involved with the cheese."  Great location, and great food.  You can take in a good fado show not far from there as well.  As CTS mentioned, Sintra is a great place to go that is only a short drive from Lisbon. There you can walk some amazing gardens that includes an initiatic well and the caverns below: 
[Image: Portugal-0776-HDR.jpg?ssl=1]

beautiful
º¤ø ¸„ø¤GO HABS GOø¤º°¨¨¨°º¤
Weed Wacker – and Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

Thanks given by:
We were on Sao Miguel in February and it was beautiful. The Portuguese take their food and wine very seriously so be prepared to be wowed, even at establishments which are outwardly shabby. Can also speak to the inexpensive aspect; a nice dinner for two including drinks can be had for 35-50 Euros. A couple of beers on an oceanfront patio was 3.50.

Have fun!
Thanks given by: