Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ultra Low Cost Airlines
http://business.financialpost.com/transportation/ulcc

While I believe Flair Airlines is already operating in Canada, it sounds like there could be a few of these in business in Canada over the next few months.

While I think demand will be high (anecdotally, I find that the general public really despise the cost of airline travel in this country) time will tell if they can make a profit and stay in business).

Personally, I don't see myself flying on these airlines but I'm all for it as it should reduce demand and cost of regular airline travel - in theory.

I personally hate the shitshow at the airport - people crowding the gate before their zone is called, people bringing on over-sized carry-ons, etc. I find air travel changes people for the worse and, personally, I will spend extra on air travel to avoid the shit show as much as possible - its one of the few areas in my life where the wife and I have made the decision to splurge.
Thanks given by:
I'm all for it. Flying is too expensive in Canada. Hope they have more luck than NewLeaf.
Humboldt Broncos SJHL April 6, 2018
Thanks given by:
Ultra low cost airlines are great if you are travelling with only the clothes on your back.
Thanks given by:
99% of flights leaving Canada seem to be way over priced....even Vegas for next weekend is 800 bucks
Thanks given by:
I think it all depends on the nature of the trip and how far one is going.

As an example Wifey wants to scoot down to Tampa Bay for a weekend during football season to see a game. (For some bizarre reason she is a Bucs fan, lol) For a trip like this I would totally consider using the cheapo option.
Thanks given by:
I signed up to YYC deals & there's been some fantastic deals on flights.

A month ago, Calgary to Beijing round trip for just over $500 per person

Calgary to Kelowna for $130

I'm sure every airport in country has the same website
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-17, 08:04 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote: Ultra low cost airlines are great if you are travelling with only the clothes on your back.

If I can have a backpack with some boxers and my laptop it works for me lol
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
I think it's Spirit Airways? that I was looking up flights for someone last fall. One way to Ft. Lauderdale from Niagara Falls, NY was 85 bucks. And he was hoping it would go down to 55 because that's what he paid the time before lol.

Wouldn't mind trying one of these types out once to see how barebones it is Silly The price of airfare is a huge reason why I've hardly ever left the continent, or been anywhere that I can't drive to in a day and a bit.
Thanks given by:
These cheap airlines are not bad for short weekends away, but you need to be careful about all the extra fees some employ. Some charge ridiculous rates for any type of baggage. I don’t remember which discount airline it was, but one charged you to print your boarding pass which was only available at the counter. Also, don’t count on them getting you to a destination on time if you have a connection.

Also, if booking a flight, make sure the airline is flying to the airport in the city you want to travel to. Some of these are cheap as they may be flying to a secondary airport that could be quite a distance from your intended destination.
Thanks given by:
I'll call them Flairlines.
Thanks given by:
I can only imagine how many people they are going to try to stuff on those flights with 2" between each seat.

" sorry sir but your wife will need to sit on your knee for the entire flight.....wait a second a spot just opened up in the bathroom."
Thanks given by:
Yup - they are going to be awful and I have zero desire to every fly on them.

I'm hoping that, given how cost-sensitive people seem to be when they fly, the demand will be high which will lower the demand on regular flights - hopefully for business class as well (for international).
Thanks given by: Bong13
(2018-05-17, 08:03 PM)lewis94 Wrote: I'm all for it. Flying is too expensive in Canada. Hope they have more luck than NewLeaf.

NewLeaf didn't really fail as much as Flair just took them over. 

My father in law and mom flew Flair/NewLeaf, not the greatest, but not too bad. One flight was delayed out of Hamilton, but not too bad. The Winnipeg to Abbotsford instead of to Vancouver was considerably cheaper even with baggage being checked and cab and ferry to the Island. 

I flew Spirit Air from Chicago to Myrtle Beach a few years ago... $70 including 2 checked bags (I took care of my friends hotel stay, so he picked up the flight), I didn't realize he had checked both bags, so I only checked the one, and carried the other one on. Well, at the gate the person said "Sir, you don't have any carry on bags on your ticket, please go over to the other booth and purchase carry on." I was confused, but I went over. When I got there I saw the sign $100 US for Carry On (if purchased at the gate). I explained my situation, showed them the ticket and that I only checked the one while paying for 2. She said it wasn't a problem and gave me a receipt for a paid carry on bag.

They do cost a ton for every little thing, and then they pitch the Airline's Credit Card. Which is really how they hope to make money.

All that said, not a horrible experience, an older plane, but not bad.
Thanks given by:
I can fly round trip from Ogdensburg to Tampa on Allegiant Air for $138. That's less than half of the best deals you can get from the Canadian airlines. There is a charge for carry-on though, and you are allowed only 1 personal item for free.

For a weekend heading to a warm climate I could easily hold my nose for a three hour flight and get by with just a backpack for my stuff.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, it's nice when you live near the border. I flew from Minot, ND to Columbus, OH for about $200 a few years ago.
Humboldt Broncos SJHL April 6, 2018
Thanks given by:
They are trying to market Ogdensburg as an Ottawa Airport...that’s about an hour and a border away!

I may try that cheap flight to Florida some time.
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-19, 08:00 PM)Heisenberg Wrote: They are trying to market Ogdensburg as an Ottawa Airport...that’s about an hour and a border away!    

Plattsburgh’s airport is called Montreal’s U.S. Airport. Lots of good options for those living in eastern Ontario. I go to Boston quite a bit from Ogdensburgh for a weekend. Roundtrip flight on Cape Air is $200 and you get the unique experience of flying on a Cessna.
Thanks given by:
My buddy who lives in Pitt Meadow BC travels a ton and goes down to Birmingham for flights quite often.
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-19, 08:00 PM)Heisenberg Wrote: They are trying to market Ogdensburg as an Ottawa Airport...that’s about an hour and a border away!    

Living in Kingston, it's actually the closest option for me. Although I have many choices; Ottawa, Syracuse, Montreal, Toronto...I use the Prescott/Ogdensburg crossing if I'm driving to Vermont or Lake Placid. It's a tiny little border station and it's never been busy whatsoever when I've gone that way.
Thanks given by: