Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Vanpocalypse Now: The Redux - Game #42
Well..., last night was pretty disappointing for Flames fans.  Despite out-shooting the Canucks by a heavy margin, they Flames came up short on the scoreboard.  Ryan Miller was impressive and the Canucks took advantage of their few opportunities.

The Flames can't afford to lose 2 in a row to a team right behind them in the standings and should never lose 2 in a row to the Wetcoasters.

With the travel back to Calgary, there's no projected line-up posted on the Flames page.  I strongly suspect there will be a couple of line-up changes.  I think THE CHAD will be in goal tonight.  Wotherspoon struggled in the 1st & 2nd period last night, so I won't be surprised to see him replaced by Kevin.  Freddie Hamilton has given an honest effort the last 2 games, but I feel that Hathaway just brings a little more too the table & hope to see him back in the line-up tonight too.

Will Vancouver go with Miller or Markstrom??
Most coaches like to go to the back-up with these back-to-back games, but it would be hard to rest Miller after a performance like last night.

As discussed by several forum members here, the Flames simply need more from Monahan & Bennett.  The defense needs to be a little less sloppy and the goalies need to make a few more big saves.  It would be nice to see Tkachuk & Backlund continue their hot streaks too.  Let's see if they can actually get all hands on deck this time round and avoid an embarrassing Vanpocalypse!!
"What's the first thing a lion does after he wakes up?" Badger Bob Johnson
"He licks his balls" Kent Nilsson
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4 , Nanuuk
Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
Hathaway, Jokipakka back in tonight. Wotherspoon comes out on D, no word on who comes out up front. #Flames
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
Thanks given by:
I don't think we were as physical as we could've been throughout the game." - Glen Gulutzan on last night's setback

Hmmm. Ya think?
Believe you can and you are halfway there.
Thanks given by: Bully , KNilsson14 , FlameFilosi4
They need to play mad tonight. Play a more physical game. Their play in the neutral zone was horrid in the 2nd last night. Need to clean that up. Skilled guys need to make one less pass and they need to put more bodies in front of the net.

That being said, they still did a lot of good things last night. Miller stole a game for the nucks....
Thanks given by: KNilsson14
Yeah.., Miller did not have to deal with much traffic in the 1st 2 periods last night
(Stajan's vicious penalty-killing charge aside!!)
Thanks given by:
We need to play more north/south hockey. Way too much fancy pants crap still going on. KISS principle. Keep it simple stupid.
Thanks given by: Ramtuf , KNilsson14
I am ok with Tkachuk's fancy pants plays.  He and Backlund just missed connecting on the one PP.  He manages to make them without a whole bunch of East-West movement.

Its Gaudreau & Brodie that spend a lot of time skating all over and not getting anywhere.  Its ok to be a "Water-bug".., as long as you can finish like Denis Savard.
Thanks given by: Nanuuk
Going out tonight. May watch a bit of the game at a friends. He is an Oiler fan, but if I ply him with Scotch he may let me watch a wee bit in return.
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4
I'm still pissed off at Elliott's game . I blame last night on him , just a make a save already . Of course making Millers night tougher wouldn't hurt either but put the Chad in net tonight !
2 of the goals were wierd bounces that nobody was going to stop.
Thanks given by: Bully
The 2nd goal by Granlund was a really nice deflection and the 2 bodies that were screening Elliott on the play belonged to Giordano & Hamilton.  Not a single Canuck causing a disturbance on that one....,

It might never have happened if Monahan had gotten the puck out of the zone...,
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-07, 07:44 PM)Ramtuf Wrote: 2 of the goals were wierd bounces that nobody was going to stop.

Sorry Ram , not buying it . Number ones make saves sometime when they have no business making them . 13 shots , 4 goals and with his track record this year of letting in 4 a night I'm not giving him a way out .
Thanks given by:
Exclamation 
While I'm still in a bad mood after last night I may as well add another thing . I won't be popular but in my mind I don't see a legitimate playoff team . 
     Goaltending she s better this year but that didn't take much . Defence still runs around getting into trouble when they don't have to . As good as Backs line has been ( and they have been tremendous ) we are not good enough with out the Johnny and Monny show . 
       Since I'm on a roll I may as well also add I hope they leave Gio unprotected in the spring . Last chance to get out of a very bad contract in a couple years when we COULD be ready to compete ! Chew on that one for a while and feel free to let me have it .
Thanks given by:
{from the Flames site}
CALGARY, AB -- The Calgary Flames did not hold a morning skate today but head coach Glen Gulutzan did confirm he will be making a couple of lineup changes ahead of this evening's divisional clash with the Vancouver Canucks.
Chad Johnson will get the start in net and forward Garnet Hathaway and defenceman Jyrki Jokipakka will draw back into the lineup.
Tyler Wotherspoon will sit as a healthy scratch. Gulutzan did not confirm which forward will come out for Hathaway.
Here are tonight's projected lines, defence pairings and goaltender:

FORWARDS
Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Alex Chiasson
Matthew Tkachuk - Mikael Backlund - Michael Frolik
Kris Versteeg - Sam Bennett - Micheal Ferland
Lance Bouma/Freddie Hamilton - Matt Stajan - Garnet Hathaway
DEFENCE
Mark Giordano - Dougie Hamilton
TJ Brodie - Dennis Wideman
Jyrki Jokipakka - Deryk Engelland
GOALTENDER 
Chad Johnson
Thanks given by: Suity
(2017-01-07, 08:44 PM)Suity Wrote: While I'm still in a bad mood after last night I may as well add another thing . I won't be popular but in my mind I don't see a legitimate playoff team . 
     Goaltending she s better this year but that didn't take much . Defence still runs around getting into trouble when they don't have to . As good as Backs line has been ( and they have been tremendous ) we are not good enough with out the Johnny and Monny show . 
       Since I'm on a roll I may as well also add I hope they leave Gio unprotected in the spring . Last chance to get out of a very bad contract in a couple years when we COULD be ready to compete ! Chew on that one for a while and feel free to let me have it .
Nope.
Can't argue with any of those sentiments.

Except Gio, who they will protect. Vegas will want a Kevin, or a Spooner or a Kulak from the Flames, not a high priced vet.
But I do worry about Gios' decline in play. I hope that is just a glitch, not a trend.
c
Thanks given by:
Giordano already has a NTC.  I believe they are required to protect him in the expansion draft
(2017-01-07, 08:54 PM)FlameFilosi4 Wrote:
(2017-01-07, 08:44 PM)Suity Wrote: While I'm still in a bad mood after last night I may as well add another thing . I won't be popular but in my mind I don't see a legitimate playoff team . 
Nope.
Can't argue with any of those sentiments.

Except Gio, who they will protect. Vegas will want a Kevin, or a Spooner or a Kulak from the Flames, not a high priced vet.
But I do worry about Gios' decline in play. I hope that is just a glitch, not a trend.
c

FF don't you think he would be a good captain for Vegas as well as a good D man ? Don't forget too they need to spend to get to the floor . 
      I'm just worried about where his game will be when we are a good team . Sooner get that money off the books before it's too late . Also be a crime to see Backs walk after all this waiting when we need him the most because of the cap .
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-07, 09:20 PM)KNilsson14 Wrote: Giordano already has a NTC.  I believe they are required to protect him in the expansion draft

Need you guys to win vestigate this ruling further . With this expansion thing I am not sure we have to include him in the protected . Could be wrong of course but worthy of investigation if you have the manual out .
Thanks given by:
Cassie says Freddie Hamilton is out

Burrows has recovered from the Ferland Flu
Markstrom will play tonight
Thanks given by:
Markstrom in goal. The Burro plays.

Sic 'em Ferly!
Thanks given by: