Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We need a little more gritt
Like so many have argued here before, I will bring it up again. The leafs need a lillte more gritt and sandpaper on the team.
Did you see the response from the team after AM got thrown into the boards last night. Thats right there was none..sure a couple of leafs skated into a scrum..and thats about it..lets say if that happened to Laine? What do you think would have happened, first of all I am not sure anybody would try to take liberty's because of what would happen..
I am not saying start fighting,  i am saying we need more team toughness so no one would think of doing this to our star players.
Thanks given by: Viable , Viable
My initial reaction last night was that someone needed to send a message.

Then the entire team sent a message by tying the game. They couldn't have done that if they'd taken a penalty trying to beat someone up and gotten down by 4.
"These things have a way of working themselves out. I'm gonna let the liquor do the thinking."
Thanks given by:
It does worry me that the only player on this team capable of answering the bell is Kadri
"Oh mischief, glorious mischief...I do so love it!"
Thanks given by:
That hit last night wasn't even on purpose. Wait until the play-offs when the head-hunters make an appearance every shift. Matthews and some others were not even a factor last year.
That's because they were targeted - which is something EVERY play-off team does. I'm not suggesting goons or staged fights. It has to be team toughness.

Kernal Mouseturd you, like a lot of posters on this site just don't get it. If you let the other team push you around - they will push you around... Shocked
"Stand up for yourself young fellow. Nobody else is going to do it for you" 
Thanks given by:
I gotta say that I do agree with this. I would love a 4th line made up of guys who can play well together, log some decent minutes per game, (8 to 10), and deliver a lot more jam! Some guys I would think about targeting...

Austin Watson, Marcus Foligno, and Zack Kassian. Maybe a Brandon Manning as a bottom pairing D? Even Nick Ritchie would add some toughness and a little offence.

Just imagine a forward lineup that looked like this....

Johnsson / Matthews / Nylander
Hyman / Tavares / Marner
Marleau / Kadri / Kapanen
Ritchie / Watson / Kassian

Nobody is messing with that group.
Thanks given by:
As much as I rip on Nick Ritchie, he's on pace for a career year, and would likely cost too much to throw onto our 4th line.

He will likely end up with around 35-40 points this year (anything over 28 would be a new career high).

Austin Watson, same thing. He's could score 20+ this year even after missing time to suspension. They aren't 4th line guys.

Moving to next season, IMO the Leafs HAVE to move Marleau's contract to have any hope at paying Matthews/Marner, especially if they have any designs on re-signing Gardiner. I would also move Brown, as I think he's too good to be buried on the 4th line, and he has enough value to be a piece we move to upgrade the blueline...he's also paid just less than you need your 4th line to make collectively if you're the Leafs with 40M tied up in 4 guys.

Our top 9 (which realistically could stay together for awhile) would be:

Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnsson Matthews Nylander
Grundstrom Kadri Kapanen

Given the minutes that that group should eat up, our 4th line wouldn't have to be anything more than a physical/grinder line, and would provide an element that our top nine is lacking.

The 4th line certainly wouldn't have the likes of Watson and Ritchie on it though.
Thanks given by:
You guys really need a Lucic. The guy's a gamer. Sticks up for his teammates, has soft hands and is currently on a value contract for what he brings. Kapanen + a 1st should get it done.
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-07, 12:18 PM)ZappaScores Wrote: You guys really need a Lucic. The guy's a gamer. Sticks up for his teammates, has soft hands and is currently on a value contract for what he brings. Kapanen + a 1st should get it done.

We'll throw in another first if you throw in that David McConner guy.
I've been obnoxious....I've been unconscious....I've been all kinds of things that are hard to spell.

Stephen Bruton
Thanks given by: MisterZ
(2018-12-07, 12:18 PM)ZappaScores Wrote: You guys really need a Lucic. The guy's a gamer. Sticks up for his teammates, has soft hands and is currently on a value contract for what he brings. Kapanen + a 1st should get it done.

Another valuable post, congrats.
O' for a good life, we just might have to weaken
Thanks given by:
What is "Gritt"
Thanks given by:
He's just messin' around Chip.
Thanks given by:
This thread got me sidetracked about the scene from 'My Cousin Vinny' about the 'Magic Grits'

Thanks given by:
(2018-12-07, 01:31 PM)Lumbergh Wrote: What is "Gritt"

It's what they eat for breakfast down south.
"Oh mischief, glorious mischief...I do so love it!"
Thanks given by:
I don't want "grit", at the loss of talent/skill

the Leafs have offensive depth that most teams envy. They are one of the top teams in the league, in record, in goals for, in goals against, goal differential. Add someone like a Lucic in there, and some of that goes away.

keep playing their game. take advantage of their powerplays. things will work out.
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-07, 03:36 PM)Chris D Wrote: I don't want "grit", at the loss of talent/skill

the Leafs have offensive depth that most teams envy.  They are one of the top teams in the league, in record, in goals for, in goals against, goal differential.  Add someone like a Lucic in there, and some of that goes away.

keep playing their game.  take advantage of their powerplays.  things will work out.

One encounter with a David Steckel type for Matthews or Marner and he's gone for a season more or less. You have no power play. 

I'm not talking about a goon or a line of goons or even a 'checking line'! I'm talking about 'team toughness'. When a hit like the one given to Auston last night is delivered it's up to whoever is on the ice at the time - no matter who it is, to retaliate - immediately. Trust me every other team in the league will make a note of that hit and the lack of ANY reaction by the players on his team. If they don't do something about it, they'll bow down in the play offs just like last year. You cannot win a Stanley cup on talent alone.
"Stand up for yourself young fellow. Nobody else is going to do it for you" 
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-07, 03:36 PM)Chris D Wrote: I don't want "grit", at the loss of talent/skill

the Leafs have offensive depth that most teams envy.  They are one of the top teams in the league, in record, in goals for, in goals against, goal differential.  Add someone like a Lucic in there, and some of that goes away.

keep playing their game.  take advantage of their powerplays.  things will work out.
If you one or two guys that play a with  lillte more physicality i beleive your skill will show even more.. it will create more ice..plus your not losing your skill..you dontbwant teams taking libertines and they will..its not like leafs are drawing alot of penalties right now anyways
Thanks given by:

If other teams take liberties with the Leaf stars some of them will get hurt. Matthews is lucky he is not out another month. Leafs need a deterrent.
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-07, 09:05 AM)colonel mustard Wrote: My initial reaction last night was that someone needed to send a message.

Then the entire team sent a message by tying the game.  They couldn't have done that if they'd taken a penalty trying to beat someone up and gotten down by 4.

Yeah the message the Leafs sent is they are as soft as butter.
Thanks given by:
If the Leafs can get some D that can hit really hard as a bonus to being a good shut down guy, its the only type of gritty they need imo. Grit can't be added as the sole quality of a player, should be a complementary thing
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
The deterrence factor in today's game is no longer the goons as for the most part they are gone. What is needed however are a couple of skilled players with that extra bit of toughness. The deterrence then becomes "if you guys mess with ....(insert name of star players here)... We are going to start paying some extra attention to your stars.....and you don't want that....". The Leafs simply don't have those characters to handle that for them.
GREAT TRADE - LAMORIELLO FOR TAVARES 
Thanks given by: