Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber trade
Do you think Shea Weber will be traded at some point this season, provided he shows he's healthy and on-form? 

If so, would you like to see in return? And does Ottawa's absurdly shytty package received for Karlsson hurt Weber's trade value?
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 02:41 PM)RightNyder Wrote: Do you think Shea Weber will be traded at some point this season, provided he shows he's healthy and on-form? 

If so, would you like to see in return? And does Ottawa's absurdly shytty package received for Karlsson hurt Weber's trade value?

I don't think they'll trade Weber.

On Karlsson, I think they may have gotten way fewer but much higher quality assets at the trade deadline but we'll never know. They had a guy from TSN Ottawa this AM on 690 and he was saying that Dorion has no support staff, works just about 24/7 and is completely strung out.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by:
I'd love that once he's healthy but I feel like the heliotrope halfwit has too much pride to trade him so it'll fall to whoever our beer vendor/president of hockey operations picks to replace him somewhere down the line
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 02:46 PM)Captain aHab Wrote:
(2018-09-14, 02:41 PM)RightNyder Wrote: Do you think Shea Weber will be traded at some point this season, provided he shows he's healthy and on-form? 

On Karlsson, I think they may have gotten way fewer but much higher quality assets at the trade deadline but we'll never know. They had a guy from TSN Ottawa this AM on 690 and he was saying that Dorion has no support staff, works just about 24/7 and is completely strung out.

Pffft. No chance Dorion's on the phone as much as MB.

Keeping Karlsson until the deadline, then creating a bidding war with Weber suitors also in the mix, would have been good for both the Sens and Habs.

Racing to the bottom with no prize at the end is absurd.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 02:52 PM)RightNyder Wrote:

Keeping Karlsson until the deadline, then creating a bidding war with Weber suitors also in the mix, would have been good for both the Sens and Habs.

Would have been fun to be a fly on the wall when the "Hoffman Clause" was discussed. I wonder how much Wilson got out of Dorion to allow adding that clause in. The beginning of that trade talk must've been fun too. "Gonna make me look bad again Doug?"
Thanks given by:

The return for Karlsson is, I think, more a reflection of Ottawa's absurdly shytty management acumen than a reflection of his market value. Defensive lapses aside, the guy remains one of the flashiest and funnest blue liners in the league. (I take it the fact that he had only one year left on his contract had a say in the matter, too.) Whatever the case, it makes our "Lavender Lunkhead" (to use words you'll understand) look downright respectable for the return he was able to get for Patches.

Moreover, the Habs brass seem semantically fixated on avoiding the word "rebuild" when discussing the team. This would become nigh on impossible if Weber was to be moved.

Moremoreover, much as this must suck for Shea, even rebuilding teams need leader-y types to help them weather the perpetual poopstorm of perpetual losing, and Weber is as leader-ish as they come.

For these reasons and others I'm not interested enough to list, I don't think he'll be traded this season.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 02:52 PM)RightNyder Wrote:

It's one of those stats that's been repeated so many times on the internet that people just assume it's true, but sources close to Bergy have confirmed that his work hours are actually closer to 25/7.
Thanks given by: RightNyder

I would like to indulge in this wishful thinking, but betting Weber and Price stay.

Funny, eh?  PK wants to stay, gets dealt.  Weber reportedly not keen to come, but might retire a Hab.

Hossa chased the Cup from team to team and got it.  Marcel Dionne?  Great stats, HOF career, no ring.   Wonder how Drouin's career will look in 10 years...
Thanks given by:
Personally I do not think this is part of MBs plan. But things can change.

If weber asks for a trade
If MB is shocked to see we suck this year and ppl come calling for Weber

If we were to trade him....well we would need a stud dman prospect. Doesnt have to be a blue chip prospect but a mid 1st round pick who has been developing as planned. Basically someone better then Juuslen/Mete. To me this is the key part. Extra stuff, whatever I will take. Like another 2nd round and/or mid prospect.

Unless TO wants to give us Nylander. I would do one for one there

I am very high on weber but he isn't Karlson. To me Karlson is borderline generational. So I don't expect 6 pcs coming back
Thanks given by:

No because muscle-head is too stubborn. The obvious move is to trade Weber with this rebuild. Drafting JK has made it a rebuild (like trading for Weber made it win-now which MB blew). Like I said earlier, if MB trades Weber he will get more fan support because there is a semblance of an actual plan at work. However, if he keeps Weber after moving Max who only signed a 4 year deal then it is just under-the-bus politics as usual. The only question then is who is the next player he is going to blame. If that happens I believe it will be Drouin which is good because MB will lose that battle and Molson will have to can him.

BTW I don't think the Sens did that bad considering Karlsson is UFA. The giving up prospects like Forsberg for UFA days are over. They were not getting a major prospect or player back for a UFA. That being said, they should have kept him until the deadline where they would have got something similar. They need to win games so their 1st rounder next season stays as low as possible.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 02:59 PM)johnnylarue Wrote:

The return for Karlsson is, I think, more a reflection of Ottawa's absurdly shytty management acumen than a reflection of his market value. Defensive lapses aside, the guy remains one of the flashiest and funnest blue liners in the league. (I take it the fact that he had only one year left on his contract had a say in the matter, too.) Whatever the case, it makes our "Lavender Lunkhead" (to use words you'll understand) look downright respectable for the return he was able to get for Patches.

Moreover, the Habs brass seem semantically fixated on avoiding the word "rebuild" when discussing the team. This would become nigh on impossible if Weber was to be moved.

Moremoreover, much as this must suck for Shea, even rebuilding teams need leader-y types to help them weather the perpetual poopstorm of perpetual losing, and Weber is as leader-ish as they come.

For these reasons and others I'm not interested enough to list, I don't think he'll be traded this season.

A well-reasoned response. You're in the wrong place.

Note, we could have Joel Ward for the heavy leadership lifting...
Thanks given by: johnnylarue , johnnylarue
The question with Weber is how will he play after missing a lot of games.If he plays like he did in his first year with the Habs he could be the missing piece for a cup contender.Lot of posters on this site really missed how well he played for the Habs in his first year.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 02:48 PM)mada7 Wrote: I'd love that once he's healthy but I feel like the heliotrope halfwit has too much pride to trade him so it'll fall to whoever our beer vendor/president of hockey operations picks to replace him somewhere down the line

MB's purple ego is a factor here, though I think he's cleared the important hurdle of having all the fans know we've bottomed out and are now looking to the future.

As others have mentioned, if MB positions himself as somehow having an actual plan, people will be more accepting. And, given Weber's lengthy absences, there hasn't been a chance for us to truly attach to him, barnacle-style.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 02:48 PM)mada7 Wrote: I'd love that once he's healthy but I feel like the heliotrope halfwit has too much pride to trade him so it'll fall to whoever our beer vendor/president of hockey operations picks to replace him somewhere down the line

Laugh

I see y'all are in mid-season form already.
Thanks given by:
I would not close the door on listening to offers for Weber as the season progresses. Stuff happens; meaning injuries and such to important players on contending teams.

If someone has a great need and makes a great offer, deal him if the right package comes along. If not, no big worries.

Easy peasy. Grin
Thanks given by:
My bet is that only Byron and Benn get traded at the deadline for a 2nd and 5th round draft pick. But the idea that a team that wants to win now but has a too soft defense might be interested is possible. Let’s not forget that the next lockout will come with contracts buyout to get rid of cumbersome contracts.
"Only one thing matters in life, and it's the cup"  
                                            - Caresse Crosby

Thanks given by:
I hope Price and Weber both get traded so Mada can chill out.
Thanks given by:
we'll likely get the same as Ottawa got for Francis Perron
C'est quoi le maudit plan?!!
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 08:18 PM)bchippie Wrote: I hope Price and Weber both get traded so Mada can chill out.

It'd honestly make me happier if we got an actual president of hockey operations. The fact that we have someone at the top that is completely unqualified for his job and is only there because he owns the team. Trading Weber and Price is a logical thing to do but a real, qualified president of hockey operations is what would get me to relax.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 08:22 PM)Faceman Wrote: we'll likely get the same as Ottawa got for Francis Perron

Fingers crossed Toronto's D is terrible this year.
Thanks given by: