Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What does Benning have to do.....
...to keep his job next year? Not everything is in his control but the next 3 weeks (~July 4th) are probably the most critical in his tenure.

Does he go UFA big? Hang it all out on some RFAs? Trade up or down in the draft? Draft the most NHL ready player? Sell on Jake? Get Lucic? 
Clean most of the house on the D?
How to start an argument on the internet: 1) Post something. 2) Wait.
Thanks given by:
has to make first round the playoffs.

to me he'd have his job if he does or not. but we all know Aqua isnt going to let him keep it otherwise.
Thanks given by:
Sign Luke Schenn
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-13, 04:34 PM)trapper Wrote: Sign Luke Schenn

YEP! and if he doesn't, I would ask him to manage the scouting and find a GM who will build us a tough physical hard hitting team.

Nice bunch of college boys and our current roster of smurfs will not do it.

Studs:
Bo, Roussel, Boeser EP Jake (with more confidence), Gaudette gets better on the dots,  Leivo good, Pearson good but no go Bearchi, Goldy and Spooner

If Sutter gets into good shape and plays 75 gaems for usk, then we are in better shape. Benning also needs to develop and keep macEwen

AND DRAFT MORE FROM JUNIOR. forget Russia, although if the Tram cmes back, that is a plus, provided his head isn't too big

How about:

Schenn - Hughes
 Tryamkin -  Stecher
 Brisbois -  a rhd for Hutton, said D to be big, mean, and kind of physical.. along the lines of a McNabb

Biega stays, Tanev walks or is traded for a pick

Don't overpay for Edler. 1 year, and if longer then no ntc
Phill 2:10-11 
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure this is his final year regardless if the team makes the post season or not.

His trades have been terrible (as well as his FA signings) and his skills where never used for the teams benefit. I don't blame him for that as i think he was pressured by ownership to get instant results.

The offseason will be predictable. Draft a decent player at 1.10, not able to aquire extra picks. Either lose or overpay for Edler and throw stupid money and term at Tyler Myers or Anton Stralman. Team finishes anywhere between 7-10 and gets blown out in the first round.
Thanks given by:
The canucks have lost too many players without getting draft picks or prospects in return. Sedins to retirement Hamhuis.....Ntc......Virbata.....Blame Willie or Virbata......both Kesler and Beiska had NTC making the return difficult.  Is Edler next? Who did I miss? Tramkin leaving for the mother land didn't help either.

I don't completely blame Benning because his hands were tied in some ways but, he isn't great at trades or signing UFA's. He really hasn't been that great at drafting either IMO.

I think he's gone no matter what he does but in order to have a chance he has to have a great draft and guys like Hughes, EP, and Boeser need to have great seasons.

Finding a couple of very good UFA's would help and maybe just one good trade.

Oh, and signing L Schenn.....seriously.
Thanks given by:
The Canucks are in serious trouble if next season's success turns on Luke Schenn. He needs to be signed, good on the team, but really, IMO his spurt last year was a last gasp at staying in the NHL. 

Benning may very well have more marching orders from Aquilini and what Jim has to do is what Francesco wants. I suspect a run at one or two top free agents.
Thanks given by: SAVARYGUY , SAVARYGUY
Thing is, what can anyone really do with this shite show at this point. I don't think Jim has been dazzling on the trade front, but he was handcuffed in some ways. It doesn't help that the coach of the Nucks before his tenure called the team stale. His free agency work has been weak in my opinion, but then there again, he's been handcuffed there to some degree as well.

But ignoring the past, what do we have now? What changes can be made? We need top four defensemen (plural) and we need a top 3 player at least. What do the Nucks have that fill the bill? What do they have that they could trade to fit those players in? And what in free agency is going to fill those holes?

The only thing I can see is bringing in the youth as much as possible. Hopefully they can surprise everyone, pull together and demonstrate that Bennings drafting is working and stay the course. If Bennings draft picks flounder and fall apart by Christmas, it may be time to look for a new GM.

But who is the question? Who's going to lead this team to success? I mean, literally, who's available? I'm not sure I see a GM out there that I have more faith in than Benning. Which may lead to him getting an extension by default. I mean, we can't exactly rehire Gillis.
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-13, 09:16 PM)Marsh Wrote: The Canucks are in serious trouble if next season's success turns on Luke Schenn. He needs to be signed, good on the team, but really, IMO his spurt last year was a last gasp at staying in the NHL. 

Benning may very well have more marching orders from Aquilini and what Jim has to do is what Francesco wants. I suspect a run at one or two top free agents.

You know the sign Schenn comment is just humor right?
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-13, 11:23 PM)Nipsy Wrote: Thing is, what can anyone really do with this shite show at this point. I don't think Jim has been dazzling on the trade front, but he was handcuffed in some ways. It doesn't help that the coach of the Nucks before his tenure called the team stale. His free agency work has been weak in my opinion, but then there again, he's been handcuffed there to some degree as well.

But ignoring the past, what do we have now? What changes can be made? We need top four defensemen (plural) and we need a top 3 player at least. What do the Nucks have that fill the bill? What do they have that they could trade to fit those players in? And what in free agency is going to fill those holes?

The only thing I can see is bringing in the youth as much as possible. Hopefully they can surprise everyone, pull together and demonstrate that Bennings drafting is working and stay the course. If Bennings draft picks flounder and fall apart by Christmas, it may be time to look for a new GM.

But who is the question? Who's going to lead this team to success? I mean, literally, who's available? I'm not sure I see a GM out there that I have more faith in than Benning. Which may lead to him getting an extension by default. I mean, we can't exactly rehire Gillis.

What they should do is stay the course and keep building. Fill the odd hole in free agency on a short term basis but that's it. They are only 1-2 years away from being a really decent team.

What they will do is blow their load (or try to in free agency) for immediate help and if that doesn't work trade youth or picks for a Zaitsev or similar player.

To me that's the issue and has been for awhile. For Guddy we gave up a promising young center and a high second. Would love to have that trade back. We spend 6 Million a year over 6 years for Ericson. Ouch. Even giving up a second for Linden Vey stings.
Thanks given by: topgun
(2019-06-13, 11:32 PM)trapper Wrote:
(2019-06-13, 09:16 PM)Marsh Wrote: The Canucks are in serious trouble if next season's success turns on Luke Schenn. He needs to be signed, good on the team, but really, IMO his spurt last year was a last gasp at staying in the NHL. 

Yours, yup. Highstyx, I'm not sure. Happy
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-14, 07:55 AM)Marsh Wrote:

You might not be sure about Styx wanting Schenn on the 1st D unit... but I am...  Cool

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-13, 01:48 PM)Marsh Wrote: ...to keep his job next year? Not everything is in his control but the next 3 weeks (~July 4th) are probably the most critical in his tenure.

Does he go UFA big? Hang it all out on some RFAs? Trade up or down in the draft? Draft the most NHL ready player? Sell on Jake? Get Lucic? 

All of this really ( IMO ) depends on ownership.  

When it comes to drafting I'm fairly confident that JB and his staff have the final say... other than that, I have a strong suspicion that pretty much everything else related to the re-tooling of the roster has to be ok'd by ownership.... again, just my opinion.

At the end of the day, I think JB's future here really depends on the final decisions made by the higher ups.

Thanks given by:
(2019-06-14, 09:54 AM)SAVARYGUY Wrote:
(2019-06-13, 01:48 PM)Marsh Wrote: ...to keep his job next year? Not everything is in his control but the next 3 weeks (~July 4th) are probably the most critical in his tenure.

All of this really ( IMO ) depends on ownership.  

When it comes to drafting I'm fairly confident that JB and his staff have the final say... other than that, I have a strong suspicion that pretty much everything else related to the re-tooling of the roster has to be ok'd by ownership.... again, just my opinion.

At the end of the day, I think JB's future here really depends on the final decisions made by the higher ups.

There's never going to be a top flight GM in Vancouver if he has to put up with ownership interference. Aquilini seems more content with using his money to get free agents instead of trading for upper tier players. So hello Stralman and Gardiner.
Thanks given by:
I remember listening to former GM Doug Maclean say ALL owners of teams are involved in hockey operations. To what degree? They probably all vary.
Thanks given by: Highstyx
(2019-06-14, 11:27 AM)trapper Wrote: I remember listening to former GM Doug Maclean say ALL owners of teams are involved in hockey operations. To what degree? They probably all vary.

For sure Trap... 

I don't know how many hockey operation "final decisions" are made by the AQ's... but I'd definitely bet on the OVER...  Wink

Thanks given by:
Not sure if this would work but here goes.

While players like Boeser are still under the control of the canucks, RFA, sign him to an 8 year deal but limit the NTC so he can moved if need be. No more keeping players into their 30's with full nt/nm retirement contracts. This way you have control to move out players who hopefully still have value and replace them with picks and prospects.
Thanks given by:

Not humor at all. maybe you just don't watch. maybe you like soft players, If so, you are in the right place. Of course many of you rate him just above Biega too. Know what?? If biega'd played 82 games, his total extend to 4 plus 32 assists. How's that, chopped liver?? I don't claim to have a fraanchise on hockey acumen, but I do recognize a good work ethic.. and some of you guys are SO negative on the workhorses, it just makes me wanna.. SCREAM

AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hey Marsh, it's all good   Wink
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-14, 12:06 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote:
(2019-06-14, 11:27 AM)trapper Wrote: I remember listening to former GM Doug Maclean say ALL owners of teams are involved in hockey operations. To what degree? They probably all vary.

For sure Trap... 

I don't know how many hockey operation "final decisions" are made by the AQ's... but I'd definitely bet on the OVER...  Wink

and I will also bet that nobody on these boards has a CLUE. NOBODY.. because that kind of stuff  if it exists, will not leak outside\

"Hey Jim, I didn't like that signing,but...' is not meddling. 'Hey Jim, get this guy or you're toast' is meddling

Give me a BONAFIDE source, or forever stop this shit 

Thank you    (I'm in a growly mood. Dunno why.. so going for a hike)
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-14, 03:28 PM)Highstyx Wrote:

Not humor at all. maybe you just don't watch. maybe you like soft players, If so, you are in the right place. Of course many of you rate him just above Biega too. Know what?? If biega'd played 82 games, his total extend to 4 plus 32 assists. How's that, chopped liver?? I don't claim to have a fraanchise on hockey acumen, but I do recognize a good work ethic.. and some of you guys are SO negative on the workhorses, it just makes me wanna.. SCREAM

AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hey Marsh, it's all good   Wink

I like the same players you do 'styx - I just don't think a guy 5 other teams have given up on is suddenly going to be a top 4 D. But sign him, yes.
Thanks given by: